The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Prices rising in Japan vastly over last 12 months..

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

I think prices are on the up, but perhaps not as much as some of the ads we see dotted around would suggest. I also on the other hand think certain cars are selling for good money right now, and this is a point where people start questioning the ceiling, I myself have recently acquired a TT6, and paid fair money for it, now my idea of fair might not be very cheap to others but I guess it's the buyers choice to decide.

I think the Supra has a fair bit of climbing before it hits the peak, R34's on the other hand are pretty much there.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think prices are on the up, but perhaps not as much as some of the ads we see dotted around would suggest. I also on the other hand think certain cars are selling for good money right now, and this is a point where people start questioning the ceiling, I myself have recently acquired a TT6, and paid fair money for it, now my idea of fair might not be very cheap to others but I guess it's the buyers choice to decide.

I think the Supra has a fair bit of climbing before it hits the peak, R34's on the other hand are pretty much there.

You can't really compare a r34gtr with a supra total production numbers worldwide for the r34gtr was only around 12k , USA supra's alone matched this so not counting Europe,Japan etc I remember the number was around the 50k mark. Plenty of well priced supra's in Australia and Canada still, I have seen quite a few diy importers on eBay selling supra's recently because the main importers have slowed down not sure why maybe there is only a handful of people willing to spend 20k+ on a 20+ year old car and the demand is just not what it used to be back in the day when they were selling 5-10 a month.

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

demand is just not what it used to be back in the day when they were selling 5-10 a month.

Demand is always price related. You see a £15k TT6 of decent standing and it'll be gone inside 3 days. See one of £20k and it has to be very good to go inside a month.

The effect of PPI cannot be underestimated , in the period we are looking at over 30 billion pounds was paid out , 25% of this was spent on holidays and 25% on cars , no suprise holiday sales rocketed and car sales rocketed - during this same period wages dropped in real terms and still dropping - DEMAND is cash/ credit based , no money no honey .

This type market for Supras is not a true market , its not an essential , and if say there are 1000 supras in japan, but only 10 are for sale , these 10 dictate the price for the 990 cars not for sale , and they are mostly auction driven , so fast and larger variables exist both up and down .

Those that predict higher and higher prices , I would ask WHY ? and how ? -given no more PPI and lower salaries and a huge inrease in credit and debt by households

No the US had no PPI , but they also had no constant flow of imports in LHD out of Japan , so numbers were limited , they also have a more multi car culture and drag car based culture , with a greater number of people with disposable income - the competition in alternative cars is also more US based cars: Corvette: Mustangs etc ,

The US also wont have the same selection of JAP cars due to import regulations and age criteria , some cars are simply not available , really the rise in prices in Japan has little to do with the US other than cars for braking and for parts ,engines etc and maybe the few RHD to LHD conversions provided its cost effective

How many NAs are there in the US ?

• 9 months later...

ok tacking this on to this thread...........

So what do you think of this (for future ref bog standard pre facelift auto TT 98K miles for £15,549 - with best offer option)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-Twin-Turbo-2JZ-GTE/302769180526?hash=item467e730f6e:g:7EcAAOSw46hbH8Xl

Won't get that will they!? but with a mint fresh import manual at £35K right now what is a market price for a stock bog standard plane Jane silver auto tt

Every buyer will have his or her unicorn that said I do feel the more desirable components will command a better premium.

Whilst stock, it has the Grey interior carpet, cloth seats, smaller OEM wheels, the auto-box and its Silver.

If I was looking to make money I would invest in a VVT-i engine, V161, large diff, less common colour, 17” OEM wheels and as close to end of production as possible.

Untouched GZ’s will be another sought after item as there weren’t many to begin with and quite a few have been manually converted or singled. Not that this makes an unmodified example worth more, as I said above each buyer will be looking for something different.

On top of those you have the limited pool of UK specs to add into the mix.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Spelling. (see edit history)

ok tacking this on to this thread...........

So what do you think of this (for future ref bog standard pre facelift auto TT 98K miles for £15,549 - with best offer option)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-Twin-Turbo-2JZ-GTE/302769180526?hash=item467e730f6e:g:7EcAAOSw46hbH8Xl

Won't get that will they!? but with a mint fresh import manual at £35K right now what is a market price for a stock bog standard plane Jane silver auto tt

I honestly think thats a good price, if I was in the market for another Supra, I would consider it for sure

Haha! Nowhere near that I reckon. When is it going to stop? It has to at some point

I’ve just sent and enquiry to Torque GT asking what it would cost to get one imported, I’ll post up when they reply.

No idea where it’s all going to end, local clean well cared for examples are very hard to come by. Right car that ticks the buyers boxes and you might be surprised what someone is willing to pay.

Looking at what is going on with the R32, R33 and R34 I see no reason the Supra shouldn’t follow suit. The MKV is a bastard so this is the last true Supra.

E2A

November last year.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?337957-Black-tt-auto-great-car&p=4245491&viewfull=1#post4245491

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Link added. (see edit history)

I honestly think thats a good price, if I was in the market for another Supra, I would consider it for sure

That's interesting to hear, I just can't get my head around it! Everyone seems to 'be on board' with the hike I spose if you believe they are stable at worst increasing at best then the initial cost isn't that important?

There are many things in an economic bubble , driven by economic policies , the bubbles will burst as policy changes and reality hits ... a deflationary collapse followed by a reflation cycle very large asset price changes .... I am just waiting ,saving cash to buy a Bentley continental when this happens ... should be the mother of all bargain buys and cash is king

I cant be the only one who sees whats happening on a weekly basis , on the high street ,the large corporations , tax avoidance ,tax payers subsidising basically everything ,coming trade wars, all time low interest rates,all time low savings,all time low unemployment with no pay rises,job shedding in the thousands ,zombie companies,1.2 million people in food banks ,crypro currencies,while the world keeps printing money and debts rising .

Swampy is right, of course it has to stop and timing is everything , looking to JAPAN for any idea on prices ...........well they were the people who valued their housing equal to the rest of the whole world ,and the imperial palace land the whole of california ! -lol needless to say it all went pete tong

I’ve just sent and enquiry to Torque GT asking what it would cost to get one imported, I’ll post up when they reply.

Torque gt always been expensive even 5 years ago better off with Jurgen or doing it yourself 1999 vvti 6spd in white 21k includes shipping to Southampton https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car_smart/toyota/supra/22858284/?isNew=1

It’s a huge cliche but something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay, same with houses etc. If you are selling at a time when there is someone desperate to buy you could get an inflated price but another time it could sit for months. Comparable give a guide and baseline but it takes a certain person to really want a 25 year old and be able to spend a significant chunk of money on it.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s a huge cliche but something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay, same with houses etc. If you are selling at a time when there is someone desperate to buy you could get an inflated price but another time it could sit for months. Comparable give a guide and baseline but it takes a certain person to really want a 25 year old and be able to spend a significant chunk of money on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree.

I don't doubt they think that, but also if they didn't I don't think they'd say as it's bad for business! but I'm continually surprised by the climbs and er on the pessimistic side of continual gains, will be interesting if Keron sells his black one quickly (£17K) as it's cheaper than the silver one I posted above.

I think the owner of the Silver Supra is hoping someone from the US will look to import the car, hence mentioning production. In all honesty I can’t see the Yanks ever looking to buy our cars unless it is to strip them for parts.

Their disdain for the RHD cars is ill-founded.

E2A

What is interesting looking on eBay it that give or take a few £££’s there is a 6K difference between the NA and TT auto and TT manual.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Wonder if someone will be willing to pay this!

(for ref £18.5K again silver stock body and engined auto - high spec leather cruise etc)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Toyota-Supra-2JZ-GTE-Twin-Turbo-Very-Original/123196924165?hash=item1caf1be105:g:5s8AAOSwdIFbJkh3

The seller is on this forum. He paid circa £10750 for it last month. Here is the original advert:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-supra-/273169081908?nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=0WIB6NwYwZnPMap7uwM5RJKd9e4%253D&orig_cvip=true

Edited by norman1979 (see edit history)