The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Prices rising in Japan vastly over last 12 months..

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gz aeros imo will start to fly up in value, already are really. not many of a certain model/rare = £££££ soon hopefully [emoji3]

That's why I may keep my shell when I strip and sell everything.

GZ aero with manual teams tunnel and TRD wide body kit could be handy in a few years

gz aeros imo will start to fly up in value, already are really. not many of a certain model/rare = £££££ soon hopefully 

But how much will modified be over stock? There's no way I'd be able to keep mine stock and it will end up as a manual as soon as I can slip enough money past the missus :D

But how much will modified be over stock? There's no way I'd be able to keep mine stock and it will end up as a manual as soon as I can slip enough money past the missus :D

Mate I wouldn't worry at all about modified Supra's losing value. Of course Stock Supras would be worth more especially mint low mileage ones but they will also price most people out of what they want to pay anyways. If I was ever to buy another im quite happy to by a modified one again, I have no interest in buying a Supra or any car just for an investment.

Just watched this old Supra video and I would buy this in a heart beat to a stock Supra

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Part of the Supra culture is modifying and so as the years go by (unless there is some harsh government legislation) those wanting to buy a Supra will be a mix of these as well as the purists. I'd say the ratio of purists is less in the Japanese 'scene' in general.

Very true Scooter

I still get people very interested in buying mine, Of course that's not guaranteed but there are still lots of keen people in modified Supras

Are there any true stock left on the forum? Most have at least changed the wheels and I suspect exhausts as well. I remember this topic a few years ago about a stock car and the argument ney discussions it caused.

Mine is a facelift Tip TT however its BPU and has aftermarket wheels so I Wouldnt call it stock:d

I had everything to convert mine to manual but then decided that a stock car would be worth more in the future than one that has been modified in anyway so although I have a do-luck front bumper, fmic, TRD wing and a few other mods I have either kept everything to put it back to standard or bough brand new parts ready for when I want to put it back (as parts are now getting harder to find new!)

One of mine is stock even exhaust and wheels. In japan someone added a turbo timer and it's got clear front wing indicators I added, just to let the pedantic be right and say it's not actually stock!

That's a point, I changed my indicators and threw the orange ones away....off to check eBay for some now!

I don't think the originality is such a big issue with the supra , they are famous for being raced or modified and are no "classic car" shows or such like with points awarded or concourse status - I doubt there ever will be , it's for people with time on their hands and that mindset - long gone

Price wise , it's not just rarity that reflects the price , I once had a car that was 1'of 6 ever made , worth next to nothing ....

It's a market and driven by market forces , availability of credit , cash , and the economy in general and the prices of alternatives .

Prices will peak and then plummet , credit will be tighter , cash harder to come by .

The boom in lease cars the last few years , will have an impact , I think we are around 90% of new car sales on lease terms now -no one actually owns a car anymore ..

This madness is pumping millions of cars into the market , and must push used car prices lower .....now the supra has a major competitor , basically any of the more modern performance cars , M5. , Audi , et al .

A tighter economy will push many luxury used cars into the mix , of course some will be buying supra s as they have always wanted one but many would think why am I paying ten grand more than the price of a six year old Bentley continental ........

Fuel prices will also impact , there will be a massive push to electric cars ,sooner rather than later ,and the sheer number of cars on the road now is reducing any enjoyment in driving - who wants 500 HP in a traffic jam ?

We will see ...

A big chunk of me is with Jagman, I don't care as i'm happy to keep mine and don't lust after anything else really.

A few years back it was all about the cars just depreciating away to very little, that changed and no one really saw it coming and now it's possible it could go back. If we are honest I think lots of people are considering making hay while the sun shines at the current prices (or will at some point if they keep rising) and moving to something more modern.

Not sure how many here own vintage cars and know what makes the classic market tick. With Supras there is enduring interest in how easily modded they are on a small budget and that is good because it means stock is Nirvana either a blank canvas to a modder or as a collectable icon to a purist. The big money cars in the USA and Japan now are all stock items, that is all people need to see to know where future value lies.

How many Supra owners are actually in it for the investment though? There is a World of difference between maximising an asset to realising an asset.

ive always been one to look after anything i own. dont get me wrong i love the car, but the last couple years i for one and i bet many on here see the same with these cars. That is there is so many cars now so far from oem , to the purist its a major turn off. i like stuff as it should be, as it was created to start with, everyone seems to lust after anything that is rare! a stock oem car is fast becoming that very thing and people will imo always pay more for that in the end. im just a nostalgic kind of guy lol and stock oem floats my boat way more than a 1000hp supra- any day

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

my car is bpu, has wheels, interior has been redone, veilside straight through, and has had blue led conversation. as nice as it looks i want it stock maybe 95%. going to get 17 oem wheels at some point and change the blue led clocks etc bk to stock. just spent a fortune and a couple replacment bits, ac controls and window switch, looking for stock spoiler switch and slipcontrol switches now..

The prices in Japan , will be driven by export , and mainly by UK ,Aus,and NZ , (Ireland),due to the cars being RHD .

As I said previously prices follow the economy ,one reason for price rises was the large PPI payouts from the banks in UK ,there is a always a "fashion" element to any of theses type things , much like antiques , in or out of fashion .

The whole drifting thing has effected jap car demand ,but this will come and go again .

Australia has had a completely mental house price inflation .much like UK , And I mean mental , this releases capital against the house and people will pay more for things -cos they can,,

Now Australian debt is absolutely enormous ( I'm sure any Aussie members can verify this) with flatline wages -

The home Japanese market isn't really about 20 year old cars , and parking ,one major obstacle to multi car ownership .

The whole classic car scene is a bit odd , especially about originality , bordering on insane ......I've seen two blokes arguing about the shade of paint on a cylinder head and weather or not it changed in 1964 .

The majority of supras are import , so for originality front brakes should be retained , speedo,speed limiter, flare, tyres, no fog light ,down to the under bonnet stickers - that is the old classic car view - only the UK spec would be correct .

I personally think we've hit the ceiling price wise and expect prices to fall ,I have 7 "classic" jap cars , so that hurts me more than most - but I really don't give a shit , I enjoy them for what they are ,not what they are worth ,and every car has non factory shocks -bugger the purists

my has the factory bilstens. I understand your never going to keep something 100% oem , just not realistic. I have no flare, my speedo has been changed to miles, delimited of course :-) impossible to have on the road with no fog. my brakes are stock , my stickers are still there lol, I disagree on price, I think they will rise a hell of a lot more than they are now, what this space this time next year. just because a car is not from the uk don't mean jack imo when it come to originality. take mine then, you couldn't even buy this model supra over here back in the day so hows that work!