The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Homers '98 RSP TT project

Homer

• 3 months later...
Any updates mate? I was only thinking about this project the other day and wondered how you're getting on.

Darryl posted a thread the other day asking about servicing the NA (shock horror as it's been 5 years), and he mentioned this will be a whilst yet.

Would have be nice if he could have got it up & running this summer :)

Ahh, I've just seen the thread now. 5 years! Bejesus... and I felt guilty if I go over 3000 miles. :D

Yeah, it would have been nice to see this on the road this summer. I nearly bought this car and its the reason I set my heart on getting another Supra.

Daryl, I have some manual conversion parts that may come in handy. Would be willing to let them go in return for a beer when its back on the road if it helps.

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)

As above no updates at all since the last one, I've been extremely busy with work (plus got married last summer) and have a huge list of household DIY tasks to do, I just haven't had any time for the car. Now the weather is getting a bit better I will restart on it soon! Definitely feeling the motivation again :)

Big Supes, any parts are always welcome! I have quite a lot of bits already but the main thing missing is a manual accelerator pedal, clutch pedal (and bracket), clutch master and clutch slave. Those are pretty much top of my list to find so if you have any please let me know and I'm more than happy to pay the going rate for them :)

Great to hear you're feeling the motivation again mate. Will drop a PM over regarding some of the parts I have.

Thanks for the PM Adam, that's just ticked a few of the most critical items off the shopping list :thumbs: Now it's only time I need to crack on with this!

Just checked out this thread again and watched the videos on YouTube.

So it's not just me that does this :D I do start it up every few months just to make sure nothing is getting seized, it fires up first time, every time :) It's running very rich which is most likely related to a MAP sensor issue Ian pointed out earlier in the thread.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a nice looking car :)

My 6 month update is that I finally bought the last load of mechanical bits to get the car on the road. Thanks to Justin Bieber (aka Adam) for the 5spd conversion kit with all the bits needed to get the drive train swapped back to manual. Hope to pick them all up this weekend after which I only need to find the time to do the trans and diff swap to finally make the car driveable again.

Still a lot of work to do after that but getting it moving again will be a huge step. Now, to find the time!

Picked up all of the drainparts parts from Justin Bieber (aka Adam) yesterday, thanks mate! It's a full auto-manual conversion kit.

Included are:

w58 & shifter

NA open diff (Which may go in my NA, the TRD from that could go in this car)

New flywheel

New release bearing

New clutch (Will need to be changed for something stronger)

New gearbox mount

Clutch slave and master cylinders

Clutch line

Clutch pedal

Brake pedal

Accelerator pedal

Prop shaft

Driveshaft's

I'm still in two minds on what to do about the diff. It has a Torsen 'Big' UK diff in there with the stronger prop and driveshaft's. However I have an NA TRD 2-way diff in my silver one so planned on swapping that in. I really like how this diff works on the road even though it's only in my NA, it really drives the rear well round the corners and has very manageable grip when pushed. If I keep the UK diff I will need to get a custom prop made to mate it to the w58 as to my knowledge none of the stock options will work. Thoughts?

attachment.php?attachmentid=206041&stc=1&d=1445786948

Awesome stuff mate. She should be back on the road for next summer?

I'm not holding my breath, but I would really hope so!

IMG_4863_small.jpg

The more I think about it the TRD option is winning out, got to agree Si. The diff ratio also better matches the w58, though I know the crown wheel is going to be a weak point.

Won't the diff ratio on a UK diff be far too high for an Na?

The engine is a UK spec TT so although it will make for a longer gear it should be okay, but not ideal.

The car really needs a 6spd but that can come later, this is also why I won't be selling the big casing one or the prop, driveshafts, etc.

• 4 months later...
Just read through all this again and brings back some bad memories. I made a little edit to my first post too ;)

I really hope you get this sorted Daryl, you're a decent bloke and deserve a working car. Updates soon I hope! :)

I see you have a new car now Jason, very nice it is too. About time you got that one you wanted :)

Today was the first time I've done anything on the car in, well, over 2 years!! Tried to get the driveshaft hub nuts undone to start with the diff swap, but the 5 foot steel pole bent :( Next try later this week with a scaffold pole. The car has been sat so long even the brakes are stuck solid. I think I have most of the parts needed now to get it running, so it's just trying to find the time.

I see you have a new car now Jason, very nice it is too. About time you got that one you wanted :)

Today was the first time I've done anything on the car in, well, over 2 years!! Tried to get the driveshaft hub nuts undone to start with the diff swap, but the 5 foot steel pole bent :( Next try later this week with a scaffold pole. The car has been sat so long even the brakes are stuck solid. I think I have most of the parts needed now to get it running, so it's just trying to find the time.

Yea, looking back when I dropped the car off with you I actually thought I'd never be able to get another. I'm really surprised I managed to crack on with my career and get past all that happened, So I appreciate the kind words!

You look like you've done a brilliant job so far. You've overcome all the problems I would never have been able to myself and actually got it started! I look forward to watching this closely for updates as you definitely deserve to get this on the road!