The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Homers '98 RSP TT project

Homer

Haha ... it's nothing specific, just some very good workers and good friends of mine have recently received CR from the Lytham and Sheffield sites within HPES

Ah gotcha now, yeah that is bad John, I feel for those guys, really do. You never know when your number is up regardless of what you do or how well :(

How quick can lee get these. Im in need of an na one asap.

I paid for mine on Wednesday and received it on Friday so pretty quick, not sure how much stock he keeps so best to send him a PM. I believe that with the version Lee sent it can be used for NA or TT, only the pulley *may* need to be changed. However, NA ones are easily available, I found many examples for sale on the forum and else ware, it's the TT ones that are hard to come by.

I paid for mine on Wednesday and received it on Friday so pretty quick, not sure how much stock he keeps so best to send him a PM. I believe that with the version Lee sent it can be used for NA or TT, only the pulley *may* need to be changed. However, NA ones are easily available, I found many examples for sale on the forum and else ware, it's the TT ones that are hard to come by.

Thanks mate, I have pm'd lee and he thinks he will be able to help :thumbs:

The weather was for once nice today so rather than tiling a bathroom I got on with some bits of work on the car :) I fitted the new alternator, but ran into a small problem: Now the connector is at the rear of the alternator the plug didn't reach it. Had to split the wire out from that part of the loom and re-route it. Will tidy it up and insulate it when there's some daylight. Also refitted the new alternator belt (Thanks to Shane for that part :thumbs: )

I also took a quick vid. It's running rough but that is probably due to not being started in a while and the poor condition of the coil packs. I'll fit the new ones along with some new plugs next time.

Also noticed the UK bonnet vent is letting a lot of water drain on to the top of the engine which likely isn't helping the spark either, the plug well had quite a lot of water in them. I either need to block it off or, preferably get a UK OEM panel to fit under the bonnet so that the scoop is functional again (UK engine still has the scoop above the turbo's so might as well make use of it!

Next steps:

- Fit rad (Ideally needs a new one, but that can wait until after it's MOT'd)

- Replace coil packs and plugs

- Move car to begin gearbox & diff removal

Vid from today:

1) Needs a clean, not touched it in 2 months (It's still up on stands at the front)

attachment.php?attachmentid=180237&stc=1&d=1391371298

2) Wires pulled out of stock loom to allow for the longer reach needed with the new alternator:

attachment.php?attachmentid=180238&stc=1&d=1391371298

3) New alternator finally fitted

attachment.php?attachmentid=180239&stc=1&d=1391371298

RSP Supra.jpg

IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2489.jpg

I wish I had that much time Paul, really do! I know what you mean though, it's not such a complex thing to do, just needs hours and they are hard to find!

Steve, I forgot to add that your fuel pump mod is working perfectly, it shuts off the pump when the engine dies/stalls :thumbs: Not sure what you wanted to change about it, but it seems to be replicating the stock system exactly :)

Bit of a change of plans, I'm going to get it running with the auto box for now. The main reason or this is that my driveway and garage are really not suitable to do a transmission and diff swap. I'd rather get it running & MOT'd, then transfer all the nice parts over from my NA later. The manual conversion can come later once I have all the parts needed.

It's far safer and quicker using a proper workshop to do the swap than on a sloping driveway in the current weather conditions. It's just not worth the hassle doing it all in one go.

So today I fitted the auto shifter which after a lot of messing managed to get it in the right position to select drive, park, etc. It's very crude, but it does engage the box. I also started refitting the interior for now, mainly just to make sure everything is working as it should (and so far it looks good, all the dash lights and switches I've tested so far work).

I've also installed the rad and started bolting up the front end again (IC pipes, headlights, front bumper, wheel well linings, etc). The rest of the week will be a case of bolting it all back together again, doing some service items and trying to get it driveable.

Anyone got a spare couple of stock seats available? The one that came with the car was soaking wet due to the window being left open for so long (before I had it!) and has since got mould growing after leaving it in the garage.

1) Interior going back in (The carpet and interior panels that came with the car have been badly damaged so will eventually swap in the mint condition parts from my NA)

attachment.php?attachmentid=180291&stc=1&d=1391480299

2) This rad is going back in but it needs replacing. It's on the to-do list for a future date.

attachment.php?attachmentid=180292&stc=1&d=1391480299

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

Bit of a change of plans, I'm going to get it running with the auto box for now. The main reason or this is that my driveway and garage are really not suitable to do a transmission and diff swap. I'd rather get it running & MOT'd, then transfer all the nice parts over from my NA later. The manual conversion can come later once I have all the parts needed.

It's far safer and quicker using a proper workshop to do the swap than on a sloping driveway in the current weather conditions. It's just not worth the hassle doing it all in one go.

So today I fitted the auto shifter which after a lot of messing managed to get it in the right position to select drive, park, etc. It's very crude, but it does engage the box. I also started refitting the interior for now, mainly just to make sure everything is working as it should (and so far it looks good, all the dash lights and switches I've tested so far work).

I've also installed the rad and started bolting up the front end again (IC pipes, headlights, front bumper, wheel well linings, etc). The rest of the week will be a case of bolting it all back together again, doing some service items and trying to get it driveable.

Anyone got a spare couple of stock seats available? The one that came with the car was soaking wet due to the window being left open for so long (before I had it!) and has since got mould growing after leaving it in the garage.

1) Interior going back in (The carpet and interior panels that came with the car have been badly damaged so will eventually swap in the mint condition parts from my NA)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=180291&stc=1&d=1391480299

2) This rad is going back in but it needs replacing. It's on the to-do list for a future date.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=180292&stc=1&d=1391480299

Glad to see the car is coming along :) am really looking forward to more videos :) I don't know why those lazy ******* left the window open and didn't leave all the seats in it... The interior is here. Per this thread:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?302904-Supra-on-eBay-Beware

I'm hoping to make progress with this soon. Will keep you updated :)

Homer I have an ok passenger seat available and would really love to get rid of it! Its taking up space in my conservatory that I am trying to clear of junk so I can knock it down. I also have a nice Corbeau seat I would be happy to see the back of but you would have to buy or fabricate some rails.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?299015-Corbeau-recliner-seat&highlight=corbeau

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

Homer I have an ok passenger seat available and would really love to get rid of it! Its taking up space in my conservatory that I am trying to clear of junk so I can knock it down. I also have a nice Corbeau seat I would be happy to see the back of but you would have to buy or fabricate some rails.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?299015-Corbeau-recliner-seat&highlight=corbeau

Thanks for the offer Shane, very generous of you once again :thumbs: I had a PM from James (Theturtleshead) who has a couple of stock seats available so will go with those. Appreciate the help though mate :)

I've got 2 bucket seats in the garage getting in the way I'd like rid of. Excellent condition. They are on rails but they are not great. As in the brackets that bolt into the car could be better. Comfy seats though

Tried to upload a pic but it's not having it :(

Small update from today. Got the rad back in, filled up the anti freeze and also the PAS system so all the fluids are in the car now. Totally forgot about the expansion tank so will have to order one, doh!

I was hoping to be able to move the car today but in my ignorance I didn't realise there are some electrical connectors required to be fitted to the box to engage Drive. I have a thread in the tech section about that... It's odd because the engine and box was installed in one go so I can't understand why anything would have been disconnected. The only thing not connected is the two plugs on the shifter itself. The start lockout is working so at least part of the auto system is working. Will have a better look on Sunday as hopefully Steve is dropping over to help.

I also fitted the new coil packs and mounting as the old ones were shot. The engine is running MUCH smoother now, but I still need to change the plugs as it's sometimes dropping a bit on idle.

I also did a quick pass of the instruments, most are working and the warning light system is functioning correctly. Ran through the following and had to fix a couple of broken wires here and there:

Stuff that works:

- Warning light system

- Indicators/hazard warning

- Headlight system

- Wipers and washer unit

- Brake light system

- Electric windows

- Door mirrors

- Rev counter

- Fuel gauge

- Fan system

Not working:

- Engine temp gauge

- Boost gauge (stock one so pretty useless anyway)

- Air con system (it's engaging, but doesn't work because of no gas)

- Rear brake lights (Need to be re-wired on the light cluster as they were a bit hacked)

For most of those I know the cause so hopefully not too much effort to fix

1) Old coil packs removed

attachment.php?attachmentid=180479&stc=1&d=1391802284

2) New ones installed, also replace the breather lines. Rest of engine needs a good tidy up, cam gaskets and some parts painted, but I'll leave that until the car is running properly

attachment.php?attachmentid=180480&stc=1&d=1391802284

3) Little vid of the engine, there's a rattling noise coming from somewhere but I've not found it yet, seems to be in the engine area and not the transmission. I'm thinking maybe one of the tensioners...

[video=youtube_share;IrgDsFvM-JI]

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Homer, your boost gauge not working might be indicative that the MAP sensor isn't either, so it's worth checking that. It'd contribute to poor engine running as well due to overfuelling.

Check your cambelt tension for the rattle after my recent experience :)

I've got a 2012 Yaris steering wheel if you need something different that fits. I was going to install it on mine but then found it was uncomfortable and incompatible with how I hold a steering wheel. No airbag though.

• 3 weeks later...
Homer, your boost gauge not working might be indicative that the MAP sensor isn't either, so it's worth checking that. It'd contribute to poor engine running as well due to overfuelling.

Check your cambelt tension for the rattle after my recent experience :)

I've got a 2012 Yaris steering wheel if you need something different that fits. I was going to install it on mine but then found it was uncomfortable and incompatible with how I hold a steering wheel. No airbag though.

Sorry for the late reply Ian, Been busy with work and have done nothing to the car recently except clean it today for the first time :D

That's a good call on the MAP sensor and makes sense. It's wired in but to a VVTi body loom so I expect there's some missing wires there. I'll be ditching it as the stock one is next to useless anyway, I'll fit a decent aftermarket boost gauge once the car is running. However your point about the poor running is interesting, there's nothing so far I can find that should cause it to so massively over-fuel, to the point it is barely running on 3-4 cylinders.

After seeing your video I'm also concerned about the timing belt tensioner, it was my main reason for posting the vid. It's a higher mileage engine (though serviced through it's life by Toyota until recently) so I wouldn't be surprised if it was near end of life.

The engine issue is not the priority for now anyway, it's clear I'm not going to be able to get the auto box working in this shell so it's back to plan A and convert it to manual. I bloody hate all that auto ECU trickery stuff anyway, manual is far simpler and it's just mechanical things going on which my brain can better understand :) Next step is going to be a trip to Dr.Jekyll to pick up my manual box, flywheel and clutch.

I also still need to find a manual clutch pedal, clutch master and manual accelerator pedal, the rest of the items are pretty simple to source.

Nice project homer! see your a local now :D hope to see you around on the road soon :thumbs:

No doubt :) Where are you in Northampton Kevin?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Brilliant thread Darryl, some good thinking and workmanship has gone into this, glad its getting the proper treatment it deserves. Im shocked at the lack of respect that garage had for such a car - unacceptable and appalling! Wish you the best on this, its come leaps and bounds already from day 1 - would love to see how this ends up :)

• 2 months later...

Thanks gents :thumbs: My wedding and moving house is done with, at last! After a club meet this weekend and seeing some very nice cars it's time to get back to this lump of metal on the driveway running again :)

The car still starts perfectly and has held all fluids over the past months. However it chokes itself out with over-fuel after a few minutes. I suspect a MAF issue, but there's other more mechanical issues' to solve first. Now that the driveway is cleared a bit I hope to get the car up on blocks to get the transmission out and get the w58 in.

The only issue is sourcing a clutch pedal and assembly, I can't find one anywhere!

• 1 month later...