The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Homers '98 RSP TT project

Homer

Lee, the UK Fuel ECU is part number 89570-14230 IIRC, this has a different connector on the bottom than the JSpec (89570-14240), have you got a picture showing the connections to the UK ECU connector? I want to make sure nothing is crossed over between the 2 variants.

Darryl has the UK ECU but unfortunately no connector with the original wires to check.

Good news, Steve fixed it (well worked around it!). It looks like the replacement jspec fuel pump ECU is faulty. It was getting all the correct feeds and signals from the engine loom, but for some reason was not sending a 12v singal to the pump. For now, this has been bypassed but pump ECU needs to be replaced.

The car could actually be driven now if we put all the fluids in. The shifter can be fitted albeit a bit bodged (due to the poor welding job it hits the handbrake sensor) so we could select gears. But, we figured it's not worth it as the box needs to be pulled out anyway to covert to manual.

Here's a vid to show it running properly for the first time:

Not much else to report apart from a long list of parts to buy. We also removed the faulty alternator and found why it was seized, it's cracked through the entire housing so will have to go in the bin :( This was obviously working when the donor car was delivered, but it looks like it's been dropped during the install as the crack is fresh. Steve also wired in the replacement water temp ECU sensor with the new plug and tidied up the wiring we had to pull out to test the pump system.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176921&stc=1&d=1384099346

Parts list from today:

- Replacement altenator

- Water gauge temp sensor

- Cam cover gaskets

- New plug for engine bay loom fan relay

- Throttle cable for a TT

- Positive cable from starter to battery

- Trans tunnel plate

- Fuel pump ECU (again!)

- Line for missing tank vent

- Replacement banjo for fuel feed on tank

- Battery positive terminal

- Washer bottle, pump and feed line

- Flywheel bolts

- Cam cover washers and bolts

- Bracket for resistor pack

IMG_2093.jpg

Wow well done mate! Is awesome to see it running even though its in a bad way. Just shows some people should NOT work on cars! keep up the updates. Look forward to seeing this driving about. am gutted its been this much of a pain :(

Like I said before it's been more of a pain in some areas, less in others. It's about the level of work I thought it'd need, the time consuming part is fixing other peoples mistakes or poor workmanship, putting it back together is actually quite straightforward :)

Had a look Darryl and I do still have the new aux belt. I also have an alternator out on loan to David so if yours is beyond it I am sure we can work something out.

Brilliant Shane :) I don't want to disturb David's project so perhaps you could check with him when it's available. I had a message from Graham earlier who knows a place that makes new replacement alternators for £130, so if your one is going to be a while I'll just buy one of those.

Let me know what part number you need for the fuel pump ecu and I will send one over

Steve can confirm but the part we need is 89570-14240, if you don't have one of those, then 89570-14210 should in theory also work. Let me know what you want to cover costs and I'll send some money.

Like I said before it's been more of a pain in some areas, less in others. It's about the level of work I thought it'd need, the time consuming part is fixing other peoples mistakes or poor workmanship, putting it back together is actually quite straightforward :)

Brilliant Shane :) I don't want to disturb David's project so perhaps you could check with him when it's available. I had a message from Graham earlier who knows a place that makes new replacement alternators for £130, so if your one is going to be a while I'll just buy one of those.

Steve can confirm but the part we need is 89570-14240, if you don't have one of those, then 89570-14210 should in theory also work. Let me know what you want to cover costs and I'll send some money.

89570-14240 if that is the number that is currently laying in the boot then that's fine :)

Been a long day, I can't remember :D

Worse case the plug for the UK ECU would be fine:)

89570-14240 if that is the number that is currently laying in the boot then that's fine :)

Been a long day, I can't remember :D

Worse case the plug for the UK ECU would be fine:)

Yep, that's the one on the jspec ECU. I can't order a repair plug from Toyota for the UK one as it only comes with the loom section and that's £125. Keron doesn't have any either.

BTW, I've mailed Keron about most of the parts so I'll let you know what's missing after that. I'll also place an order to Toyota tomorrow for the following:

- Cam cover gaskets

- Cam cover washers

- Cam cover bolts

- Temp gauge sender socket (If I can find the damn part number)

- Battery terminal & bolt

- Trans tunnel plate (If dude doesn't have one)

- Clutch cover bolts

- Flywheel bolts

Great to see it running Daryll, had plenty of jobs to put right reading through this. Looking forward to more updates.

Thanks Mark, it's really not all that bad, just a lot of little things to sort out. The biggest issue now is the trans tunnel mod.

We're nearing the end of the electrical issues once the rest of the parts arrive (that's the bit that's most frustrating, sourcing and waiting on parts!). The rest of it is mostly mechanical and that's all quite straightforward. It just needs time, the correct tools, helpful friends and motivation :D

Well done on getting it this far in such a short period of time.

And it's great to see so much club spirit in this thread, Homer has contributed so much to this forum over the years, and I'm glad to see that generosity being repaid. :)

Thanks Jason, most of the progress is due to Steve, he's far quicker (and knowledgeable) at trouble shooting these sort of issues than me, I'd still be trying to figure out the fuel pump problem right now without his help :D

The club is a great thing and I don't think I contributed much aside from the odd pointers, silly questions and help here and there. I'm overwhelmed by the offers of help and parts on this build (and the last one), people are simply very generous here and I don't take that for granted for a moment. It's a great forum and I've made many life-long friends over the past decade because of it :)

Dont know if this is of any use at all but found the below on ebay and doesn't seem to bad a price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SB135-TOYOTA-Supra-3-0i-Turbo-24V-93-97-Alternator-/370937755888?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item565d9cf8f0

Thanks mate, that's a good price. I've been sent a few links by members on the forum and the alternators (though not OEM) do seem to be readily available. Not sure why so many people have issues finding them!

Sorry for the late replies to PM's, work has been crazy this week and will be for the next month. Progress may slow down a bit on the project sadly, but I'll be tinkering here and there and collecting all the parts.

So far I've sourced:

- Driver a-pillar cover

- Gasket set

- Grab handle

- Facelift rear lights & looms

- OEM Trans tunnel plate

- Flywheel

- Battery tray & bracket

- ECU cover

- Starter motor +ve cable

- Alternator

- Battery +ve terminal

- Cam cover bolts & washers

- Temp sensor socket

- All door card and various dash securing bolts

- Auxiliary belt

Still lots to find, particularly the manual pedals and clutch master/slave. They are proving to be a bit more difficult to locate. Next big update should be over the weekend if the rain holds off. I hope to visit Dr Jekyll this Sunday to pick up the gearbox, clutch and some other parts so that will be a big step closer once they are here. Then is a "simple" case of fitting it on the driveway... which I hate doing!

Bit of a fail today, the alternator didn't fit :( In my hurry to get one I didn't do my research so didn't realise the NA and TT ones are different. For those that are interested, there's a thread here that explains it: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?299335

Steve dropped by (yet again!) to have another go at the fuel pump system. He pulled a spare known working on out of his own car to test it out, but the ECU still fails to send a feed to the pump. He also temporarily wired in the UK pump ECU and again, the same thing happened. He's spent ages going over the wiring diagrams but there's no information available which explains what signal or voltage is sent from the ECU, it just makes no sense because the engine ECU is sending the correct feed to the pump ECU but it fails to fire. THe wires have been traced back and it's all checked as working. We're at a loss to figure out why none of the fuel pump ECU's turn the pump on.

So, in the mean time Steve hooked up a relay which uses the engine ECU feed to turn the pump on, replicating what the pump ECU is doing, this worked perfectly. He has a better idea of a way to do this, but I don't fully understand it, he's going to give it a try next time he comes round.

We also ran the engine for a bit longer this time, it seems okay but is a little rough ticking over. It's probably a combination of old fuel and poor spark (The replacement coil mount parts haven't arrived from Toyota yet so I can't fit the new coil packs).

I have also started work on the trans tunnel swap, I started drilling out the holes, but then realised I had forgotten where the plate starts and ends, so I'll need to wait for the OEM one to turn up from Keron before I do any more. Despite the terrible welding it does look like there's enough metal left around the tunnel to get a replacement fitted safely and securely, so that's good news :)

Now, a long wait for the many parts still needed. Not much I can do not until they are found and start arriving!

Fuel pump ECU replacement:

attachment.php?attachmentid=177140&stc=1&d=1384629256

Wrong alternator :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=177141&stc=1&d=1384629256

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg