James Millers SRD PT6262 8 Speed Build

Lee P

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Haven't updated this for a while but car has gone through some exciting changes now.

We always felt this was a great car and setup but the one thing that let it down was the stock auto gearbox

This was the first car to get the Syvecs full auto control and SRD flappy paddle conversion which have worked great.

James has been very happy with it but we always wanted to do something with the gearbox.

Instead of the usual built stock gearbox we discussed something different.

So for the last year we have planning and working on a modern replacement auto gearbox for this car.

It is now running on the latest S6 plus which is a superb ecu and gives us a lot more outputs to control a box with more gears.

Edited by Lee P (see edit history)

Haven't updated this for a while but car has gone through some exciting changes now.

We always felt this was a great car and setup but the one thing that let it down was the stock auto gearbox

This was the first car to get the Syvecs full auto control and SRD flappy paddle conversion which have worked great.

James has been very happy with it but we always wanted to do something with the gearbox.

Instead of the usual built stock gearbox we discussed something different.

So for the last year we have planning and working on a modern replacement auto gearbox for this car.

It is now running on the latest S6 plus which is a superb ecu and gives us a lot more outputs to control a box with more gears.

come on you gotta give more information then that ;)

what box ?how many gears ? what power can it take ? cost ?

Haha... Getting there

First thing was to pick a gearbox, we wanted to stay close to home and use something in the Toyota family

After some discussions with Ryan and my own experience with Lexus cars, we opted for the ISF 8 speed gearbox.

Between us we already had some experience with earlier 5 and 6 speed versions of the gearbox and the latest 8 speed looked to perform very well and not be too much bigger.

Infact it's the lightest gearbox In its class and relatively small for what it contains.

Haha... Getting there

First thing was to pick a gearbox, we wanted to stay close to home and use something in the Toyota family

After some discussions with Ryan and my own experience with Lexus cars, we opted for the ISF 8 speed gearbox.

Between us we already had some experience with earlier 5 and 6 speed versions of the gearbox and the latest 8 speed looked to perform very well and not be too much bigger.

Infact it's the lightest gearbox In its class and relatively small for what it contains.

I was hoping you'd say the 8 speed. I've been snooping in the latest version of the Syvecs software and saw it was able to map/support the 8 speed.

I've heard the shift times are pretty great on those, too?

I was hoping you'd say the 8 speed. I've been snooping in the latest version of the Syvecs software and saw it was able to map/support the 8 speed.

I've heard the shift times are pretty great on those, too?

Yeah the 8 speed is a quick change so once setup should be very good

First thing to get sorted was the adapter plate and flywheel

The starter motor is opposite side on the Lexus so the adapter plate helps sort this out while allowing the box to bolt up

The billet flywheel, (which is a work of art) bolts up to the crank and is spaced to meet the torque converter

We are using the Lexus TC, it's noticeabley larger than the supra one.