Project UFO ! Restoration after over 7 years of neglect

supra_ufo

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just read through this, great work. Car looks so much better with the front end change. Great thread, keep up the good work.

cheers mate.

I forgot to mention that I had changed my mind about blending the front lip into the bumper (that has not been done now)

I have been at the bodyshop today in a failed attempt to fit longer wheel studs (so I can fit a 20mm spacer), I couldn't even get my callipers off lol Before I knew it they ended up closing early for new years and won't be open till Friday now. I'll just wait till I get the car back now. Here is a mock up of how it would of looked if I had succeeded...

Before

attachment.php?attachmentid=195634&stc=1&d=1420046192

After (jacked up)

attachment.php?attachmentid=195635&stc=1&d=1420046192

attachment.php?attachmentid=195636&stc=1&d=1420046192

IMG_9312.jpg

IMG_9314.jpg

IMG_9313.jpg

Looks loads better with them spaced out like that mate.

Seized caliper?

Yep, that will stop me buying new ones for at least a few months lol

Very much doubt it, the calipers were done not so long ago (3k miles). I didnt touch the brakes, left them to a garage who may of over tightened them and they dont show any signs of having cooper grease on the 17mm nuts holding them in....

• 1 month later...
Seriously, should looks mint when its out Naz. You won't want to drive it to avoid stonechips. :)

Mines having to go back this week as I wasn't 100% satisfied. I can still see a shallow crease when the sun shines on it. :(

I'm beginning to become like Ric and Sean, I think I might drive around with this giant bag on my car especially when it rains lol

Thats a shame mate, thought you would of had to sign something when you picked it up to say you was happy with the repairs.

lol stop taking the mick now! :(

What do you guys think to repainting my callipers the same colour as the car? or shall I stick to black I will be probably going for light silver wheels concave style.

I think smaller little plastic bags for the calipers will be great, saves brake dust getting out, might have a problem with heat though.

I'm beginning to become like Ric and Sean, I think I might drive around with this giant bag on my car especially when it rains lol

Thats a shame mate, thought you would of had to sign something when you picked it up to say you was happy with the repairs.

I did mate but only realised it after when I saw it in the sun.

• 1 month later...
Looking lovely mate. Fair play..enjoy.:cool:

I love the colour. Also a supra in a plastic bag :p awsome project.

cheers lads

I have gathered a lot of bits to fit to the car…

I bought a full UK brake setup from Jay as well as Defi Gauges plus controller, a leather covered 3 pod a pillar, a set of facelift seat bolt covers and focal front and rear speakers including SRD speaker mounts.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199642&stc=1&d=1428408707

attachment.php?attachmentid=199643&stc=1&d=1428408707

attachment.php?attachmentid=199644&stc=1&d=1428408707

attachment.php?attachmentid=199645&stc=1&d=1428408707

First thing I sent about doing was to mask the discs and paint the hubs black, I did this to the front sets too and left them to dry overnight after a 2nd coat.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199646&stc=1&d=1428408707

attachment.php?attachmentid=199647&stc=1&d=1428408726

The 3 gauge a pillar from Jay was awesome quality, the leather work on it was brilliant but it was red and had to be dyed black.. It had OEM fixings which was awesome as I didn’t fancy drilling into it. Jay had some black leather dye that he also sent. I went about dyeing the part that would have to be cut off for an aero fit, once happy I began to do the remainder. Using my stock a pillar as a guide and some rubber bands I used a dremel and cut to the shape. I was happy with the results….

attachment.php?attachmentid=199648&stc=1&d=1428408726

attachment.php?attachmentid=199649&stc=1&d=1428408726

attachment.php?attachmentid=199650&stc=1&d=1428408726

attachment.php?attachmentid=199651&stc=1&d=1428408726

attachment.php?attachmentid=199652&stc=1&d=1428408742

attachment.php?attachmentid=199653&stc=1&d=1428408742

( A special thanks to Karl AKA C12MMO for collecting these parts from Jay)

I sent the brakes away to a company to have them refurbed and painted, the main reason for sending them away is I didn’t have the time to refurb them myself and I wanted a high quality paint finish in a custom colour.

I ripped the carbon vinyl off my dash panels that I did myself. I decided to get my dash panels and some engine components water transferred in “carbon”, when I went to select the colour I went for silver carbon as it looked the most “realistic”, A week or so later I got them back, and at first glance it looked a little brighter but could look better once on the car….

attachment.php?attachmentid=199654&stc=1&d=1428408742

attachment.php?attachmentid=199655&stc=1&d=1428408742

On the subject of the car I got it back a few weeks ago but without incident, I’ll let this picture do the talking, it pretty much explains what had happened…

attachment.php?attachmentid=199656&stc=1&d=1428408991

moving swiftly on

With the car being back I could crack on with the mountain of jobs I had to do before the FF7 meet...

OCUK-37.jpg

OCUK-38.jpg

OCUK-39.jpg

OCUK-40.jpg

OCUK-41.jpg

OCUK-42.jpg

OCUK-43.jpg

OCUK-44.jpg

OCUK-45.jpg

OCUK-46.jpg

OCUK-47.jpg

OCUK-48.jpg

OCUK-49.jpg

OCUK-50.jpg

FF7.jpg

Defi Controller and Gauges

The defi controller was enclosed in a nicely carbon DIN but since I had a double din stereo I had to put it in the glove box as the centre console required too much modification. I drilled a hole behind the glove box for all the cables and then wired it all up (believe me it wasn’t an easy job). Then I had to take all the wires from the glove to the a pillar, I zipped tied along the way. The main problem I had was the A pillar wasn’t sitting in place even with is own clips, I think the cables behind it was forcing it to POP out of its position. Ill be fixing it in with a self tapper but for now I left it off and put the boost gauge in the vent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199657&stc=1&d=1428409267

attachment.php?attachmentid=199658&stc=1&d=1428409267

The gauges I have currently is Boost on top, oil temp centre and EG at the bottom, I will be replacing the EGR with a water temp when I come across one as I wasn’t planning to plumb it in to my stock manifold!

Heckler PCB

I also fitted my PCB behind the speedo cluster and it made a world of difference, I wasn’t still happy with the look of it as it still looked dated so in the future I may get some metal monkey covers or some fancy looking indiglow type covers. Ive got some heater buttons on route to replace the custard ones.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199659&stc=1&d=1428409267

SRD Speaker Brackets and Focal Speakers

I decided to install some sound deadening to my doors and rear arches whilst I had the door cards off. I bought some B&Q flashing as recommended by Allan Massey and also some 2mm underlay foam, I didn’t want to spend a small fortune on the “proper” stuff but this I was told would do the trick. Following some pictures that Glanza mike took I went to work on mine. I put foam on the rears but forgot take pictures of them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199660&stc=1&d=1428409267

attachment.php?attachmentid=199661&stc=1&d=1428409267

attachment.php?attachmentid=199662&stc=1&d=1428409284

attachment.php?attachmentid=199663&stc=1&d=1428409284

Front and Rear Camera

I bought a front and rear dash camera as I didn’t trust other drivers and for some peace of mind, I installed it all at the same time when my dash and a pillar was off, I routed all the cables around the car and hidden from view. (ill get proper photos of it later.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=199664&stc=1&d=1428409284

DRL On and Off switch

The DRL I had installed I wired to on ignition so they were always on, I installed an on and off switch the only issue is that they were also my indicators so this was mainly for when I was taking photographs at night and I want the car running but don’t want the DRL on for the picture and in case I wanted to follow someone unnoticed:P

attachment.php?attachmentid=199665&stc=1&d=1428409284

Carbon Wing Mirror Covers

I picked these up from Thailand, literally a flexible piece of carbon that just goes over the OEM and has sticky pads inside to fix them into place. Simple and effective, best thing was that it matches the weave of my TRD carbon blade.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199666&stc=1&d=1428409284

Carbon Reverse Scoop

I managed to pick up an ultra rare reverse carbon scoop for my bonnet (stops shit from getting into my bay too), when it arrived although the carbon was in very good condition, it wasn’t the same weave as my spoiler/wing mirrors and I spoke to Allan Massey who recommended a bloke from York so I sent my scoop to him to have it redone in the same weave. I found another scoop but in crap condition so I had that sent to adam at sycross so I could sell the other one.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199667&stc=1&d=1428409304

attachment.php?attachmentid=199668&stc=1&d=1428409304

Managed to get the car sorted in time for the FF7 meet, what a day, I had 4 days to work on the car and most of the above I did in those 4 days so it was mad. I thought I had a boost leak because my car was making a funny gasping and hissing noises, doing 65 on he motorway as a precaution. I turned up pretty late but it was a good meet and the movie was excellent. I didn’t take any pictures of my car then but Yesterday (bank hol) I took it for a drive after resolving a HID issue and an indicator problem. My car was boosting fine :) hit 1.1 bar nicely, I think I was paranoid as I had recently changed my stock intake for a HKS one I got from Westy (thanks) and had recently had some work done near the intercooler on my gearbox cooler but all seems well. It makes aload of noises which at first you think WTF but it’s kind of a cool noise :) Sounds like a BOV.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199669&stc=1&d=1428409304

attachment.php?attachmentid=199670&stc=1&d=1428409304

I took some pictures whilst out, the car got a lot of attention ;)...

OCUK-51.jpg

OCUK-52.jpg

OCUK-53.jpg

OCUK-54.jpg

OCUK-55.jpg

OCUK-56.jpg

OCUK-57.jpg

OCUK-58.jpg

OCUK-59.jpg

OCUK-60.jpg

OCUK-61.jpg

OCUK-62.jpg

OCUK-63.jpg

OCUK-64.jpg

Edited by supra_ufo (see edit history)

I dont think I ever posted how I built the rear sub in seat box so I will have to update on how I did that.

I still have some jobs to do

Fit the a pillar pod with the gauges

Resolve speedo/rev counter issue (neither are working so relying on sat nav for speed)

Brake Refresh (still waiting for them to turn up)

Roll Arches on the rear

Fit my 19" wheels when they arrive

Service the car

Straighten the intercooler