supra_ufo

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Ec1202014

Just read through this whole thread from start to finish - utterly brilliant.

Some time and love has gone in to that car, really nice mate.

How did u get ur speedo needles to appear so red and bright mate? I'm jealous lol

I presume you have Hecklers PCB kit in white for lighting?

They look ok in the day light mate but there pretty poor at night, post 183 shows them at night. I was going to take them off and have a go at refurbing them with some paint like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluorescent-Red-Speedo-Gauge-Needle-Restoration-Paint-/190281783139?hash=item2c4dad9763

And yes they are hecklers PCB

Looks great matey that always did like that colour

thanks Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you have asked about my rear sub in the seat so here is a quick write up on how I made it...

Many moons ago, whilst my car was away at the bodyshop I decided to make myself a “sub box”, having an aero I was limited with options but wanted some bass badly...

I went to the ICE section for some inspiration, I have seen several installs, where the sub sits in the floor where the spacer wheel is but I wanted my spacer because knowing my luck I would need it. The other option was to make a custom sub box similar to the one MK4Gaz made but I had no fibre glass skills and it looked too difficult. My current rear seat back rest had a tear and that was bugging me, I managed to find another one without a tear so replaced it. With my torn seat collecting dust in the garage and me clinging onto things, I got a brain wave and decided to try and put my 10” JL sub in it…

The first thing I did was order a 10” MDF ring like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MDF-Round-Oval-Car-Speaker-Spacer-Adaptor-Ring-4-5-25-10-6-5-12-6-x-9-15-/150679575745?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item231533dcc1

This would be used to fix the sub onto....I then removed the rear wood panel from the back of the backrest to see what it was like inside. It had a good few layers of thick foam under there and I placed the ring towards the leather and the foam held it in place. I had to cut away a few chunks of foam so make room for the rear of the sub. With the ring in place I could see the circle shape and place it in the correct spot by looking at the front leather side. I then cut a cross shape and folded the leather back into the seat and then placed the sub into the ring and screwed it into the MDF ring. I had to cut away the leather that I had folded back into the seat to make room. I then cut some length of wires and plugged them into the sub, this was going to go into a wiring panel which would make it a lot neater.

attachment.php?attachmentid=200833&stc=1&d=1430851401

attachment.php?attachmentid=200834&stc=1&d=1430851401

attachment.php?attachmentid=200835&stc=1&d=1430851401

attachment.php?attachmentid=200836&stc=1&d=1430851401

attachment.php?attachmentid=200837&stc=1&d=1430851401

Once the sub was in place I then had to think about the rear panel, the original one was too thin so I had bought some 12mm MDF and using the original rear wooden panel, I began to make a template on the MDF, marking up the existing screw holes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=200838&stc=1&d=1430851423

The sub itself was deep and it would hinder the rear wooden panel so I had to cut a hole out for it. My plan was to use smaller MDF rings to build an enclosure around it. The original wooden panel slots into the back of the seat so I had to shave it off using a dremel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=200839&stc=1&d=1430851423

I also cut 2 small holes, one for the wiring panel that I stole from another sub box to slot into and the other for an air vent. I tore the black carpet from the original rear board and test fitted it, I was going to carpet it all but figured I would use this and paint the remaining black

attachment.php?attachmentid=200840&stc=1&d=1430851423

attachment.php?attachmentid=200841&stc=1&d=1430851423

attachment.php?attachmentid=200842&stc=1&d=1430851423

attachment.php?attachmentid=200843&stc=1&d=1430851449

attachment.php?attachmentid=200844&stc=1&d=1430851449

Once everything was died up I glued the carpet on also made the cut outs too. I then fitted and wired it all up. Unfortunately the sub you see in this picture literally went up in smoke, I opened it up and it had a bit of water inside…ooops. My friend gave me another sub. Note: the sub had to be placed in an area where it wasn’t too low, which would fudge when you put the seat back or too high (would get in the way of the roof) I did a few trial and error runs. Couple of pictures of the sub in my car

attachment.php?attachmentid=200845&stc=1&d=1430851449

New Amp

attachment.php?attachmentid=200848&stc=1&d=1430851454

attachment.php?attachmentid=200846&stc=1&d=1430851449

attachment.php?attachmentid=200847&stc=1&d=1430851449

Once I got the replacement amp in and turned it on, I was very surprised, it sounded great and the best thing is my roof fits in the boot :) I decided to keep it… I was hoping when I placed the sub in the seat it would mean I would have to cut around the original tear but it was in an awkward place so left it, I thought of covering it with a sticker. Since my project is “UFO” I covered it with a purple alien sticker and no one even questions it :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=200849&stc=1&d=1430851948

I made a video of how it sounds hopefully the DSLR picks up the bass not sure what youtube will do to the video quality. There is also a walk around the car.

or

This is not a guide, I started off as a mess around and luckily took a few pictures along the way....

If anyone wants to have a go I have made a quick summary of what I bought and what tools are needed

Tools

• Screw Driver (various)
  • Jig Jaw
  • Dremel
  • Tape measure, ruler
  • Drill
  • Sharp Knife (precision)
  • Paint Brush (optional)
  • Wire Cutters
  • Solder Iron (optional)

OCUK-92.jpg

OCUK-93.jpg

OCUK-94.jpg

OCUK-95.jpg

OCUK-96.jpg

OCUK-97.jpg

OCUK-98.jpg

OCUK-99.jpg

OCUK-100.jpg

OCUK-101.jpg

OCUK-102.jpg

OCUK-103.jpg

OCUK-104.jpg

OCUK-105.jpg

OCUK-106.jpg

OCUK-107.jpg

OCUK_IDWORK-5.jpg

EPORT-1.jpg

EPORT-2.jpg

EPORT-3.jpg

EPORT-4.jpg

EPORT-5.jpg

EPORT-6.jpg

Edited by supra_ufo (see edit history)

Cracking job mate one question tho have you got the sub wired reverse polaritie? As in your video it's sucking in rather then pushing out,

Cheers matt, im pretty sure the (-) went to (-) and the (+) went to the (+), i'm going to have to check now :blink:

Brilliant work on the sub mate, great write up too.

I'll be attempting something similar soon although it'll be with the actual seat bench.

Cheers Ken

On the weekend just gone, I managed to make a start on sound proofing the car, just need to finish them off with a few layers of foam. Hopefully this will tone down the drone when the Nur Spec R is put on

attachment.php?attachmentid=200915&stc=1&d=1431034638

attachment.php?attachmentid=200916&stc=1&d=1431034638

And finally, the car passed its MOT today :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=200917&stc=1&d=1431034638

OCUK-108.jpg

OCUK-109.jpg

OCUK-110.jpg

Have just sat here and rear threw 15 pages, the misses is not happy but tuff once i started i couldn't stop!

It is fantastic how far the car has come from when you first got it. It looks fantastic! Has given me a kick up the ass to get my interior sorted!

Brilliant work mate brilliant work!

Not to bad then. Be interested to hear if you think it has made much difference regarding road noise etc. Good work as always mate.

Its an improvement but I cant 100% tell as I have the aero roof lining off the car at the moment.

Have just sat here and rear threw 15 pages, the misses is not happy but tuff once i started i couldn't stop!

It is fantastic how far the car has come from when you first got it. It looks fantastic! Has given me a kick up the ass to get my interior sorted!

Brilliant work mate brilliant work!

Cheers Chris, didn't think I would inspire anyone LOL get that interior sorted!

• 1 month later...

Finally found a supplier of the wheels I want that have them in stock too!

They should be arriving in the next 3-4 days hopefully, I still haven't decided on tyres yet. I want the wheels in possession first before I buy tyres as I know what my luck is like.

My Nur Spec R should be here tomorrow :) I will be fitting that after the wheels are on, in fact I might do them at the same time.