The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project UFO ! Restoration after over 7 years of neglect

supra_ufo

cheers mate

Hopefully it will look alot better once it gets to the bodyshop

I might as well update this thread since you bumped it lol

My car made 369 HP at Evotune Dyno, I will update the thread with the video tonight.

I got paid out for the damage shown above and will be booking my car in for a full respray once the body shop man comes off his holiday.

I will be going back to a stock front end (someone already has dibbs on my current front bumper) with lip all colour coded. I should hopefully be getting new coilovers and new wheels too :)

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to the updates buddy, the stock front will do wonders :)

Cheers mate.

As mentioned, I went to a Dyno day in durham and met some really nice lads and lass, weather was great too :cool:

I also made more videos which can be found in the "North East" section.

My car made [email protected] bar which I am happy with. To reach 400 HP how much boost will I need? Is there a mathematical equation?

Shortly after the dyno as I headed home I noticed a strange noise coming from the front end of my car which Iky is going to help me diagnose tomorrow. Hopefully its nothing major. :blink:

That noise was this...

attachment.php?attachmentid=188701&stc=1&d=1405633099

attachment.php?attachmentid=188702&stc=1&d=1405633099

My car is off the road. Not sure how it managed to move to the back but it must of been heading that way. The belt has not been changed in my ownership and possibly 7 years so for anyone who reads this, get yours done!

Part of the belt has rubbed off, the car is now parked up and ill be ordering the bits tomorrow. Lucky escape, I did 100 miles on this!

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Might be best checking your receipts to see if the water pump has been changed at any point also, if not then have a little think whilst the belt gets done buddy. Have a little check over of the Crank pulley also and the front crank seal also :thumbs:.

Might be best checking your receipts to see if the water pump has been changed at any point also, if not then have a little think whilst the belt gets done buddy. Have a little check over of the Crank pulley also and the front crank seal also :thumbs:.

Iky checked this yesterday, the water pump was done (looks shiny). We will be doing the belt, tensioner, idle pulley and aux belt.

• 1 month later...

August Update

Thanks to Iky, my timing belt was replaced as well as the tensioner, fan belt, timing belt cover and crank pulley….originally the plan was to do the timing belt only but when taking things off we noticed that the crank pulley was not lined up with the other pullies and after taking it off it was obvious it was the wrong one for the car!! It was much lighter than the one I bought from Keron. After cleaning up all the crap we fitted it all back together. The crank pulley (before) was loose so whoever did the water pump must not of tightened it properly! I did 3k miles on this crank pulley so thank god we noticed it and changed it. That may explain why the timing belt had slipped back..?

Timing belt before showing crank pulley out of alignment

attachment.php?attachmentid=190472&stc=1&d=1409347160

Water pump had been done before looking at the condition, you can see the tensioner coming through the timing belt cover!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=190473&stc=1&d=1409347160

All the crap from the timing belt scrubbing

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=190474&stc=1&d=1409347160

New one from keron

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=190475&stc=1&d=1409347160

All the crap cleaned

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=190476&stc=1&d=1409347160

All the old stuff pictured below, the fan belt I cut and threw in the bin

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=190477&stc=1&d=1409347160

Almost back together…

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=190478&stc=1&d=1409347160

Pic of the new crank and belt

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=190479&stc=1&d=1409347160

I also fitted a ebay FMIC (yes its not as functional as the SMIC bla bla), I bought some brackets from B&Q and did a bit of a DIY on it to secure in place. Replaced the ebay blue silicone with some ASH black hoses. I installed an auto gearbox cooler and located it into the SMIC area and I also fitted a PS cooler same type as the auto cooler and located behind the FMIC. All plumbed in with new hoses. The autocooler is also going through the rad auto cooler too.

The tape is to protect the pipe from hitting the auto cooler as it almost skims this, I need to adjust the pipework again as its forcing the bumper out on that side….Something the bodyshop can do...

attachment.php?attachmentid=190480&stc=1&d=1409347175

attachment.php?attachmentid=190481&stc=1&d=1409347175

attachment.php?attachmentid=190482&stc=1&d=1409347175

I drained all the PS oil and replaced with new stuff. I had a PS leak after a short drive as I did not tighten the jubilee clips enough so it was a easy fix! I took the car for another spin and when the car was boosting I heard an awful noise! I guessed it was coming from the wing where I replaced the pipe from the kit for a 45 degree silicone hose so I could use the existing stock box (thanks shane). This again was an easy fix, just tightened the clamps that came with the intercooler. I did them tight but not tight enough as I did not want to break anything but learned from my mistake. I went for another casual drive in the wet this time and all seemed well but I did not fully boost the car because of the weather. :-(

I bought another set of coilovers from Skippy or Craig.... as I mentioned earlier my Tein ones that I bought off a member was stuck and Kirk tried everything but they weren’t budging and I wasn’t planning to put my old shocks on just to send them back so I went for another set. BC Racing coilovers with 1500 miles, like new! for the life in me I dont know why I didn’t take any pictures of them, maybe Craig did? Anyway I fitted these onto my car, it was a lot easier to do as I had replaced the drop links so they came off easy! The only pic I have is this

attachment.php?attachmentid=190483&stc=1&d=1409347175

I left it at the ride height of what craig had but maaaan it was sooo low!

attachment.php?attachmentid=190484&stc=1&d=1409347175

attachment.php?attachmentid=190485&stc=1&d=1409347175

I had to adjust them and it was a peace of cake doing it, even though I had to phone a friend LOL (thanks craig) I raised it by 10mm. The new ride height is shown below, at this height the exhaust does scrape when coming out of my alley way but I can live with that until I buy a nur spec r

attachment.php?attachmentid=190486&stc=1&d=1409347175

The next major drive was the anniversary meet. This would test if the car was running properly as it was 300 mile trip… Everything went well until coming back from the heritage centre to the falcon, I tried to keep up with Allan Massey and I heard a loud POP when I hit 1.2bar! bricked myself and gently made my way back to the falcon. I had an idea what it was, the engine side intake had jubilees on it as the ebay kit :blink: did not supply the clamps for that side so I knew that was a weak point and low and behold they had come off when I popped the bonnet. Thankfully another easy fix, I drove home like a granny though :sly: Just ordered 2 more clamps and hopefully should not have any issues with pipes popping off once there on :-) One thing I can say the intercooler made a massive difference to throttle response.

As you may have noticed from the anniversary, my car had a red stock front bumper, broken wing (picked up 2 used ones from Keron) and generally was in crap condition. It went in on Monday (bank hol) to the bodyshop for a full respray and some additional goodies to be added on ;-) I will update this thread once it comes out as I will be coming back from holiday in 3 weeks time (to a finished car I hope!).

attachment.php?attachmentid=190487&stc=1&d=1409347175

attachment.php?attachmentid=190488&stc=1&d=1409347175

This week my aim is to free the tein coilovers and make some money back on them. I need some new wheels for the new look… ;-)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Edited by supra_ufo (see edit history)

The new ride height is shown below, at this height the exhaust does scrape when coming out of my alley way but I can live with that until I buy a nur spec r

Don't pin too much hope on the Nur Spec sitting any better, mine hung pretty low and loved a good scrape

Good work mate, you've been busy! Sits really nicely at that height

Cheers

Don't pin too much hope on the Nur Spec sitting any better, mine hung pretty low and loved a good scrape

What I mean't is that is when I will think about raising it, I currently have a custom exhaust with 3" pipes

Nice detailed update Naz, I'm looking forward to seeing it fresh from the bodyshop.

Was good to catch up with you at the Anniversary meet :)

So am I mate luckily I have a holiday to forget about it for 2 weeks. Yes mate it was good catching up, when you get a chance pop over to that interior place and see how much they will charge for releather :)

Looking good, I see you went for the mitsi oil cooler :thumbs:. I don't think mine was quite as tight fit as that looks, maybe as you say the ic pipework just needs a tweak.

Yes I went for that, I bought 2, they do fit snug its just a case of finding a way to fix it on in position. Yes I am pretty sure I can adjust the pipework.

Nur spec's hang really low, mine is the same.

May get some of that heat wrap stuff to protect the pipework from scrapes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Iky, its still in the bodyshop at the moment, things taking slightly longer but I'm not in any rush as I still have not sorted my garage roof! Im going to lay new ply and felt it, the tarp I used back in 2012 is knackered and water is seeping through now.

I do have some prep work pictures but he has taken some better ones, I am going to wait till its all done before I post pictures. Prep work should be completed Monday/Tuesday and in the spray booth Wednesday, then he mentioned buffing the car too. I would imagine I will have it back w/c 6th just in time for Japshow Finale :)

• 2 weeks later...