The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bpu auto vs bpu manual, whats the quickest

supraGZaerotop

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great way to kill a thread, well done TubbyTwo. I don't mind jokes about anything to be honest but the same joke in threads over and over again gets repetitive no matter what the subject is. Think we have a few threads dedicated to this, please try and remain in these.

Hurry up and give your car the beating heart it deserves !!!

Hurry up and give your car the beating heart it deserves !!!

My rant is nothing to do with my NA Mike, I used own a TT too.

I am trying to locate a really low mileage one or a rebuilt one, so on the hunt.

Wouldn't the fastest be a 5 speed TT, I've heard the acceleration on those is rapid due to the ratios and the down side is a low top speed something like 130.

130 on a 5 speed? Gear ratio's aren't that low dude. I've seen 160 and as soon as I get my misfire sorted I'm quite confident I'd see 170 I wasn't close to the redline. I think the gear ratio is similar to the 5th gear in the 6speed, could definitely do with another gear but didn't find it limits me that much. With a sixth gear it might top end more but I'm not sure I'd want to see that high anyway unless I start using properly rated tyres.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

On the 1/4 mile, and driven by someone who knows what they're doing, I'd expect a manual to have the edge. Don't suffer from the limitation of the stock torque convertor, so providing you could get off the line and grip, 60ft times are where the real gains are to be had at BPU IMO

Wouldn't the fastest be a 5 speed TT, I've heard the acceleration on those is rapid due to the ratios and the down side is a low top speed something like 130.

I can vouch for that, my mates (Richlift) tt5 is running 405bhp bpu and is very very rapid, feels like a small single.

I'm going for manual here, with a decent driver and good shifts you should pinch the auto.

If you can get the launch then I'd imagine the manual has got it. I'd also think the manual would be quicker top end due to putting out more power at the rear wheels :search: this is all speculation though, will be interesting to see a few auto vs. manual battles at Suprapod.

It never seems to work out like that though, the manuals always have issues with launching (wheelspin) where the auto is pretty much impossible to spin up. The 1st to 2nd shift is again another time for wheelspin in the manual the auto efficiently changes with again little no loss of traction. The manual needs 3 changes down the 1/4 the auto only 2.............put all that together and the auto comes out on top pretty much every time.

It never seems to work out like that though, the manuals always have issues with launching (wheelspin) where the auto is pretty much impossible to spin up. The 1st to 2nd shift is again another time for wheelspin in the manual the auto efficiently changes with again little no loss of traction. The manual needs 3 changes down the 1/4 the auto only 2.............put all that together and the auto comes out on top pretty much every time.

It was 3 changes on my auto box down pod strip.

It was 3 changes on my auto box down pod strip.

It was 2 changes for me in manual mode crossed the line in 3rd with plenty of 3rd left to go (stock tt power)