The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bpu auto vs bpu manual, whats the quickest

supraGZaerotop

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Top 10 BPU Supra drag racing times as posted here , 8 out of 10 are autos. Does that answer the question?

My point exactly if we are talking 1/4 miles.

Moved to tech :D

Funniest thing you have said yet :D

auto's have a higher transmission loss through to the wheels mind....

They could be 10x faster in all fairness and i'd still choose the manual all day long, just feels right in a sporty car

Driven any super cars lately? ;)

auto,s are faster off the line but when the manual gets into 4th gear its starts to take the auto and then in 5th it leaves it behind. Thats what happens between my manual bpu and my mates auto bpu anyways. both have the same mods so shouldnt really be to far out on the bhp figure

That's a great way to kill a thread, well done TubbyTwo. I don't mind jokes about anything to be honest but the same joke in threads over and over again gets repetitive no matter what the subject is. Think we have a few threads dedicated to this, please try and remain in these.

Sorry dude, no offence intended! :)

My point exactly if we are talking 1/4 miles.

Funniest thing you have said yet :D

Driven any super cars lately? ;)

I said FEELS right, not whats best or is fitted to super cars, there's a good reason why manuals hold 3-4k more than autos in supra guise

According to the Top 10 BPU Supra drag racing times as posted here , 8 out of 10 are autos. Does that answer the question?

Doesn't that just say that auto's are easier to drive quicker, doesn't mean they are quicker if driven properly?

I'm sure the driver is one of the biggest factors, I remember a few years ago I had a few plays with another BPU manual when I was still stock auto. I was ahead of him the whole time.

In BPU I would have left him easily but it's debatable whether this was mostly down to driver gear changing being poor.

Personally,9 times out of 10 I'd whip a manual supra in a straight line and as has been said, this has been proven many times on the drag strip. The only reason a manual feels quicker is down to the whip in between gear changes where as the auto is a continual drag through.

Carl

ive been told by a few people not to change to 6 speed. i was told if im going bigger to have a built autobox

and you cant just go on that anyway because there is a difference between each car.

ric has been in my bpu and he said it seems alot quicker than his, his car was dynod at 404 at dynodaze (not sure how reliable dynodaze are). the only difference is i have a blitz i-color boost controller with the gain set higher

so your mods will make a difference plus the condition

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

ive been told by a few people not to change to 6 speed. i was told if im going bigger to have a built autobox

and you cant just go on that anyway because there is a difference between each car.

ric has been in my bpu and he said it seems alot quicker than his, his car was dynod at 404 at dynodaze (not sure how reliable dynodaze are). the only difference is i have a blitz i-color boost controller with the gain set higher

so your mods will make a difference plus the condition

That's true. Plus BPU ranges from 370-455 bhp, so it's pretty hard to compare the transmission when the engines hardly seem to put out the same power.

Sorry dude, no offence intended! :)

No offence was taken, I was just mentioning it creeps up in every thread making it a bit repetitive, like Capital Radio. :)

I said FEELS right, not whats best or is fitted to super cars, there's a good reason why manuals hold 3-4k more than autos in supra guise

My bad.

The reason why they hold more money is because of the 6 speed box & nothing else.

Doesn't that just say that auto's are easier to drive quicker, doesn't mean they are quicker if driven properly?

No, it pretty much says that auto's are generally quicker, you'd have to drive both to understand, the shift is very different in the auto than the manual.

It's all down to the driver really, I have a auto and if I was having a race id be in manual mode anyway so would we still say that counts as a auto?

Nope as you are not physically using a 'clutch' to shift the box into gear, that adds time then the auto box slipping into the next gear.