The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fast and Furious Replica (Orange Supra) - Take 2

pbryant_knight

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a bit of an update. Got myself some new wheels. As we all know, the Racing Harts are VERY rare (and expensive when they do come up) so got a set of Veilside rims.

Bid for them on ebay and won, but when they arrived they were in no where near the condition listed. Seller originally stated could use a quick refurb but when they came they were dire. You can't really see from the pics but the black centres had been hand painted with what seemed to be hammerite and still had the brush marks in them. The chrome was corroded and had some major curbing and 2 of the wheels had gouges out of them. The rivet studs had also corroded so badly that even trying to take them off, the socket just sheared the corroded metal.

On the upside, The seller, Steve, was a great guy to deal with. He originally said there'd be no problem with returning the wheels but then offered me a part refund to keep the wheels. I decided to take his offer and have a crack at doing them up. I have to admit, it's taken since Thursday afternoon and a lot of hours work but i've got them to a pretty ok standard. They aren't perfect, but from what they were like it's been a 100% improvement. managed to file down a lot of the curbing on the chrome (just hope it doesn't corrode) and sanded the centres flat to paint silver. Unfortunately, the inner chrome ring with the studs was beyond help so i painted that silver too and it doesn't look too bad. Also came without centrecaps but i was really REALLY lucky that i had some old Vauxhall Calibra standard alloys with caps and they are the exact diameter form the Veilsides. They were however too deep and made of alloy so were a bitch to cut the width down. Here's some pics.

Before the refurb. (Can't download ebay pics so had to photograph the screen) The pics were so small on ebay though you couldn't really see the damage.

After the refurb and silver paint. Looks much better than before.

Wheel with the Vauxhall centre cap before it was trimmed down.

Wheel with centrecap after it's been trimmed down to fit.

Peter

Edited by pbryant_knight (see edit history)

These are 5 spoke and have a chrome rim with studs around the edges. They aren't exact, but are closer than some of the wheels suggested thus far. The closest i've seen are League Nocturene one's but i didn't really want to buy brand new black wheels then start messing with them and paint the centres silver. Plus the offset was diffrent and a few people on here said they would look crap due to that and the small tyre size.

I got them for an ok price considering the work i had to do on them so they'll do nicely until i can get some Racing Harts at a decent price :)

The caps are now all flush with the wheel but with the hexagon centre still intact as the racing harts have an accent in the middle :)

Edited by pbryant_knight (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got my car back today after being painted Lambourghini Diablo Candy Pearl Orange and i'm well chuffed with it :)

Here's some pics

The Mesh in the side vent needs to be painted black which i'll hopfully get done at the weekend, Weather permitting.

The only thing about it is that one of the rear spats doesn't line up properly? Its weird since Knight Racers front and sides were a really good fit but the rear spats were genuine Bomex ones? Overall though, i'm very happy with it :)

peter