The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RMC's Supra Cat d write off restoration ... hopefully

mclarenross

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you guys know how I get to the lower o ring part number 16268F, does the metal cylinder piece just pull out?(16268) I gave it a bit of a pull, but dont want to break it, if it aint supposed to come out...

Yes just twist and pull its just a small cylinder with a groove at either end for the O rings nothing special.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Next Update as it’s been a while since I last posted…

So I’ve got my windows tinted at Total Tint in Sunderland by Fosta (from this forum) and I’m really happy with the result.

I finally had my Bride Lo Max seats turn up and I’m extremely happy with them and how comfy they are! as well as look great!, I’ve also got some Takata Harnesses (reps) to go with them (not in the picture but fitted) and also I decided that I would get a removable sparco boss for the steering wheel (for added security).

I’ve had the car running on a base map for a couple of months whilst I was waiting for it to get booked into Jamie at Evotune. Car was running about .7 bar boost and was really fun to drive.

Went to a couple of local meets when I could just to get some miles under her belt.

And then finally the day came for mapping and I took it down at the end of June.

Came back at the end of the day and Jamie told me that it had made 388bhp, at first I was a little disappointed, but Jamie then went on to tell me that it had a misfire whenever he went over 1.1bar, so the 388 was only at 1.1bar (and I’d like to run it at 1.3 or 1.4) and he told me that was a really good number for a 1JZ.

Jamie said the next thing I should do to overcome the misfire was to

a) Gap the plugs down a little

b) get some new coil packs as the originals are now over 24 years old! and

c) an aeromotive Fuel regulator as I was running quite rich above 4K and with the regulator in place he could trim the fuel in the lower range. I started looking around at either OEM or aftermarket, then after reading this forum post click here I decided that I wanted to go with the Super Spark ones and I luckily came across a guy on a Soarer forum who was selling some that had done a couple of thousand miles.

So I gaped the plugs and fitted the Coil packs and then decided to go for a drive, now she fired up fine and I’m sure I heard a loud click from down where the ecu is… (wondered what that noise was) I drove about 2 miles from home and the car started to splutter and just died, now the funny thing is the SAFC and my AEM Air /Fuel meter both died, all the other light on the dashboard seem to work, I could turn the key and she would run rough for a little while but again just cut out.

So had to call the tow truck and go home on a flatbed! :-( gutted.

I’m thinking its either a blown fuse (but I’ve checked all the fuse box in the engine bay and the fuel pump is still making a noise) or else perhaps a bad earth somewhere…. If anyone has an idea I’d be grateful to hear! I’ve called my mechanic mate who will hopefully be round sometime this week to try and diagnose the issue.

One minute loads of love for the Supra and the next ….. hate!

Edited by mclarenross (see edit history)

Morning John, thanks, yeah it was that. Safc had lost power and was massively overfueling. Had to pull the whole dashout and re wire the power and earth feed, seems to be running well again, coil packs work, so when it's finally get dry Ill be going out and turning up the boost!

Morning John, thanks, yeah it was that. Safc had lost power and was massively overfueling. Had to pull the whole dashout and re wire the power and earth feed, seems to be running well again, coil packs work, so when it's finally get dry Ill be going out and turning up the boost!

Pleased your sorted Ross. Make sure you solder and heat shrink all those connections to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Yeah all soldered up.

Went straight through her mot today with no advisories. Which is a great result.

So I thought I'd take the chance this evening (as it's finally dry) to go for a blast and turn the boost up. But again.... issues, she just wouldn't boost past 0.65, tried increasing it on the boost controller but no difference. Damn. Have to pull all the hoses tomorrow and she if I have a leak somewhere...

Yeah mate, I'm really happy with them, really comfy and also very snug when cornering! They are replica ( I know there are good and bad bride reps but these are definitely of the higher quality) I got them second hand off a guy who had imported them and paid nearly a grand, I paid a lot less and they are in brand new condition as the guy didn't have a car to put them in!!

The trumpet, I imported from the states, think it looks good, but I need to put a different mesh on the inside of it.

• 7 months later...

Well I haven’t update my thread for a while, so thought it was about time as I have some exciting news (for me anyway)

A couple of weeks ago I started chatting with Kaan about his stunning Supra shell (Goliath)and what was included for the price. I then decided to go and see it in the flesh at Rob Michells garage and after some further discussions I bought the car and last night it was delivered! Thanks Kaan for all the work you done so far on it, hopefully I can get it back to what it was.(nice Gtr by the way!) and it was great to meet Rob and see the stunning engine that he’s building, a real work of art!

So sadly I’m going to start breaking up my current Supra with the intention of moving over the parts to Goliath.

My plans are for the car to be a show car with around 500 bhp.

Drop in my existing 1JZ (still auto for now)

Chrome/ polish (cam covers, turbo, intercooler pipework, radiator brackets intake plenum, bonnet hinges.

Carbon (scuttle panel, cam cover, slam panel, radiator cowel)

Continue with the wire tuck theme.

swap over my roll cage and bride seats and takata harnesses

flocked dash

small stereo system

butterfly valve on the 1st decat pipe on exhaust

replace my existing exhaust with a 3 or 4” pipe

Swap over my bc coilovers

Swap my suspension components (all recently refurbished)

Uk or k sport front brakes

Fix up some of the bodywork (where there is some cracks)

LED Rear lights

Glass head lights

So yeah, quite a bit of work to crack on with.! hopefully with a bit of help from the NE contingent!

Moving house at the minute, so as soon as I get moved in I’ll be stripping the supra (bonnet /lights/ wheels/ brakes etc) so if anyone wants anything let me know.

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

• 3 months later...

Time for another update…

So I sadly broke up my old white Supra and sold off parts in order to fund this new build, a local guy called Graeme has bought the shell and is starting to rebuild it, so it isn’t going to the scrapyard (which is a relief).

There was a number of parts that I wanted to swap over from my old car, namely suspension (as my old one was fully refurbished and poly bushed) and it took me many evenings stripping down all the front components and trying to unseize the bolts on Goliath ! Had a couple of local guys, Marc and Robby help me swap over the rear subframes in just a couple of hours. It was a very daunting job, but these guys made lightweight of the work.! Cheers Guys.

While the rear subframe was out, I decided to give it a lick of paint so it lasts another 20 years and I also replaced the diff oil as I have no idea if that has ever been changed. (I think I read in the service manual that diff oil should be changed every 3 years- I doubt anyone does this…)

Before.

IMG]http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u565/roscobmx/Supra/8B6DE776-EE9E-4375-96FA-3F2877BA653F_zpszw1vtsy3.jpg[/img]

After

I have also been cracking on with the other parts of my build – Interior. I wanted to go for a Flocked dashboard /doorcards etc and I was given a contact called Anthony at “For Flock sake” in Huddersfield. The interior I had wasn’t perfect, especially the door cards, but they were much better than the ones from my white car and Anthony said he’s do the best job he could on them… Well I picked them up last weekend and I was absolutely blown away… They are now like new and you can’t even see the old imperfections in the door card! See the pictures below, Anthony also surprised me with the cherry red bits in the glove box and centre console, but I think it’s a great touch! Pm me if you want his details, can’t recommend the guy highly enough!

I’ve sent out all my engine bay plastics / wind screen wipers/ cowl etc to the carbon dipper, so that It’ll match the APR carbon slam panel I received from Callaway motorsport

I had bought some K sport 356 rears about 2 months ago and I had been waiting for some fronts to come up second hand but to no avail. So finally made the decision to go brand new and they should be here next week. Uk vs K sports

I decided to try something different with the brake callipers, rather than stock paint so I’ve dropped my rears off at my local Chromers (in Hull- miles away!) and he’s going to let me know later this week if he can chrome them, worst case mirror polish them (along with the fronts callipers and the rest of my engine bay metal) bling bling.

Also ordered my braided fuel lines,(cheers Hodgy) and a nice new shiny Plenum (from Australia) along with some 650cc top feed injectors.

Still trying to work out what colour to do my rear roll cage, its currently white, but not sure if that’s the right colour to go with… Now think Chrome powder coated.

Also thinking of buying a number plate G10LTH to match…