The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RMC's Supra Cat d write off restoration ... hopefully

mclarenross

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you re-routed the heater matrix hoses at the back of the engine before you put the red long life coolant in. This will be your issue with the trapped air. The pipe co figuration is far too complex. I'll come over and do it for you if you want. I'll fetch my own tools though. (But only if you tidy the garage).

Have you re-routed the heater matrix hoses at the back of the engine before you put the red long life coolant in. This will be your issue with the trapped air. The pipe co figuration is far too complex. I'll come over and do it for you if you want. I'll fetch my own tools though. (But only if you tidy the garage).

Hey John,

welcome back from your hols, hope you had a great time...

I took it off, but the pipe sticks out towards the passenger wing, so I could'nt work out a better way, it was either under the engine or as it is now.... Any help would always be appreciated, just waiting on the Safc2 to turn up so I can reduce the fueling as she's very rich...

Ill even give the garage a once over!

Have a look at some superflex hose from Viper performance or Samco (I'd recommend the samco). You can vertually tie it in a knot and it wont bend. Can get it in any colour too. Once I get sorted I'll pop down and sort it for you if you want. I'll fetch the supra over for a run out too, if all goes well this weekend.

Have a look at some superflex hose from Viper performance or Samco (I'd recommend the samco). You can vertually tie it in a knot and it wont bend. Can get it in any colour too. Once I get sorted I'll pop down and sort it for you if you want. I'll fetch the supra over for a run out too, if all goes well this weekend.

Sounds like a plan!

• 3 weeks later...

Well… the car is running…. Roooaarrrr….“the crowd goes wild!!”

Thing I’ve done since the last update,

I bought a couple of filters, one for the camshaft case and one for the back of the inlet plenum, one fits perfect… the other doesn’t yet, so I’ll either need a bigger one or do some plumbing to make it fit.

The SAFC2 turned up, I wired her in, (I’ll upload a picture of the help guide I made in case anyone else with a 1JZ wants to do the same thing) I checked everything over once and fired her up, she was running very rich again and at first I had no idea what I was doing with the SAFC, I was twiddling all the buttons, but nothing was happening… turned off the motor, found the hard reset on the SAfc2… reset… inputted the new settings and then fired her up again…bingo. It appears that on the low throttle settings you can dial in the amount of fuel and as I took fuel out the AFR level started going from around 10.2 up to around 14.7ish (its keeps going up and down around that level, but I imagine that is normal…) pulled her out on to the drive (still without the bonnet on) and I thought stuff it, I’ll take her for a quick spin round the block… “I’ll take it easy” I thought, well, drove her down the road for about ½ mile and all sounding good, didn’t want to put the turbo under too much load… turned round to come back and as I pulled back on to the road I thought….F**k it, let’s try some boost… foot progressed slowly (at first) to the floor… and ass the boost came in, the smile crept across my face and then I found myself flooring it…. As I changed up from 2nd to 3rd, there was a boom (sonic- if only) and an instant loss of power. Oh bugger, I shouldn’t have done that…..and limped home (the smile had gone).

Parked the car back in the garage and told the wife I had a problem… “another one” she said!

I messaged Hodge to see if he could come to my rescue… but then it dawned on me what the issue might be….. anyone have an idea???

Yep one of the intercooler pipes had blown off…

They don’t all have a bead of weld running round them, so I need to get that fixed.

But reconnected it (tightened it) and took it down to the NE meet for the first time. Picture below sitting next to Mark black “possessed” one. ( I should point out that in the hour we were there Mark managed to fall in to a pot hole, twist his ankle and bash his head off his bonnet, - this is after cutting his finger on the car just the other week and crashing it on Monday!– perhaps a little accident prone J).

I sprayed my TRD rear wing and fitted it, It’s not a perfect fit, but its close. It wasn’t until I met up with the guys on Wednesday that it was pointed out to me that the wing was upside down… L

So whats next…

Need to get it mapped, (not sure where…)

Need someone to tell me how boost controller works

The Electronic boost gauge I can’t get to work, so I’ve ordered a mechanical one, which I’ll fit this weekend.

I need to fit the flexihose to the water matrix pipes.

Alarm

Replace interior

Spray and fit do luck front bumper

Aerocatchs for bonnet

Respray and tidy engine bay (perhaps a small tuck)

Gearbox cooler

Passenger side rear suspension arms overhaul

New battery & connectors

imageimage

Before

After

Edited by mclarenross (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The car is going in for mapping in a couple of weeks and I've currently got 440cc injectors sitting in the 1jz.

My concern is should I drop in some 550 now, (which i should be able to get hold of) so that I don't have to go through this process in the future...? Will the 550 from a uk spec supra drop straight in? ( Are they high or low impedance) will I safely be able to tune it with a safc2.

Mmm... Dilemma

• 2 weeks later...

Done a few more miles on the car over the last couple of weeks, really starting to enjoy it, J however it is still hitting fuel cut when it gets high up the rev range. I think I will need to play with the FCD settings and see if I can make a difference using that. One potential issues that a member mentioned might be that my boost controller might be plumbed in the wrong way into the sensor, which would mean the wastegate might not be opening (could this be the reason for fuel cut?) when I get some spare time this week I’ll dig a little deeper and see if my plumbing skills are up to scratch.

Was planning on getting it mapped next week, but I’ve just bought some Brian Crower 264 cams, so I am going to wait and fit them before I go down the mapping route.

Got myself a new battery, so that I don’t break down at any future NE meetings….

Been to a couple of car meets recently, went to the Hot Rods meet at the Metrocentre last week . (happens every 2nd Wednesday of the month) a very impressive meet with plenty of American Muscle cars..

I also went to the Nissan “Extreme” Torque show (I think extreme might be a little optomistic!) 5 Supra’s in attendance, representing the Japanese North East Club. John Hodge’s Supra was the star of the show, although I think at one point I think I saw steam coming out of his ears! All the local chav’s were beeping his horn and rubbing his Turbo! Lol. I hope the little Sh*ts didn’t scratch his paintwork…

Fitted my New apexi boost gauge that working properly, although I’m sure it showed me doing 1.5 bar… and I’ve got a 1.1 restrictor ring in place… should I be taking out the restrictor ring now that I’ve got a boost controller in place?

MOT later this week, so Cat has to go back on and I’ve got an indicator bulb out… so fingers crossed there is nothing else.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the car flew through its MOT, ah the relief… I was really worried it would fail, because I couldn’t manage to get the Catalytic convertor back on… with the new downpipe, the two pipes just didn’t line up and after running out of patience I decided to put it through the Mot with the decat pipe on it… bearing in mind that the car runs rich when you start her up anyway (until the Ecu realises there is too much fuel and then dials it back). When I turned up I started saying to the MOT guy that it didn’t need a emissions test as it a 93 import and it wasn’t stated on the Vosa testing list…. He said that once he prints out the sheet from Vosa, he tests everything on it… anyway he came back saying it wasn’t clear on the sheet, but that he had done the emissions anyway and she passed…Bonza! Couple of advisories, but I’ll fix them over winter.

Well the car went in for Mapping at Evotune in Durham yesterday and I had all my fingers crossed that it would all go according to plan… however I got the call from Jamie at Evotune to say that the “manu” mode on the auto gearbox wasn’t working and he couldn’t get a good pull as it was dropping into 1st and making the graphs all skewif. I’m pretty sure I’ve worked out which wires I need to solder together (when you go from 2jzge to 1jzgte I matched up a lot of wires, but obviously not all of them.) Jamie also had a look at my boost controller set up and apparently I had plumbed in the wastegate incorrectly. Said he’d set the new boost setting to .9 bar and that it was no longer hitting fuel cut. On the drive home gave it some welly a couple of times and it drives fantastic! Think I might turn up the boost a little more J It sounds great when the screamer pipe opens up.

I’ve also had my new Brain Crower 264 cams delivered. J I was going to fit them before mapping however, I’ve decided that for the rest of the summer I just want to get some fun out of her rather than her being in pieces. So I’ll get the manu mode sorted and mapped which should get me where I want at the minute and then the plan over winter is to…

Get either 550 uk injectors or Sard 680s

Apr Head bolts (might do the valves at the same time)

Install new cams

New Titan cam gears

Clear cam gear cover

Emanage Ultimate and remaped

Aluminium radiator

Gearbox cooler (might do that shortly)

Aerocatches (doing sooner)

Tidy up the bodywork

Sort out the fuel relay

Carbon dip my alloys

Perhaps look for a r154 gearbox (maybe)

A couple of photos attached, and also the guide I created for anyone installing an SAFC2 on a 1jz.

Thought the boost control solenoid didnt look right, it's plummed in for an internal actuator not an external wastegate.

Yeah, Jamie's really simplified it and its now working a treat.

Haven't read the rest of the thread as I'm at work, but just read the past two posts mate, and really good work, car looks awesome

thanks mate, read the rest if you get the chance, the cars come along way in 18 months.

Its not John 1.1 will be max boost not minimum

You can't lower boost with a boost controller Marc only raise it. If its a 1.1 bar ring then you can't go any lower than that. Although, because Ross now has an external wastegate, that ring should be removed.

You can't lower boost with a boost controller Marc only raise it. If its a 1.1 bar ring then you can't go any lower than that. Although, because Ross now has an external wastegate, that ring should be removed.

You sure? I thought the restrictor ring was to stop overboosting? Either way Im sure Ross said he took it out :)

It is there to stop overboosting. It gives you a base line boost which you can raise with a boost controller.

Ah right, ive misunderstood the point of them then, ive a 1.2 one in mine, so I need a boost controller to up it the rest of the way?

Sorry for the Hijack Ross.

Ah right, ive misunderstood the point of them then, ive a 1.2 one in mine, so I need a boost controller to up it the rest of the way?

Sorry for the Hijack Ross.

If you want to increase your boost, yes, or you could just bore out your ristrictor ring but that's just pot luck really and a lot of messing around.

What would you say is a fair boost level thats not going to blow it on standard internals...?

I don't know what a 1JZ will take Ross if I'm honest mate. I ran 900hp on stock pistons and rods on my last setup. I only upgraded the main, rod and head bolts to ARP. But that was a 2JZ odviously.