The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RMC's Supra Cat d write off restoration ... hopefully

mclarenross

If you want to increase your boost, yes, or you could just bore out your ristrictor ring but that's just pot luck really and a lot of messing around.

I meant to say it only boosts to 1.0 but it has a 1.2bar ring in, but I guess its the same as you've said above :thumbs:

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to say it only boosts to 1.0 but it has a 1.2bar ring in, but I guess its the same as you've said above :thumbs:

Do you know what the bore size is of the ristrictor ring. Me and Bossco did a little experimenting with these a while back and found EVERY car was different and produced different boost with the same size ring.

Do you know what the bore size is of the ristrictor ring. Me and Bossco did a little experimenting with these a while back and found EVERY car was different and produced different boost with the same size ring.

No idea mate, I cant even remember who I bought it from but im certain it was a Chris Wilson one

Just had a speed read right through this, car has come along way mate and doing the job your self hats off to ya

I did almost choke on my burger when I saw you smoothing in the front bumper but glad that has been sorted lol

Well done mate

haha, hope you kept your burger down...

Yeah, the blending was a bad idea.. I've got a do luck bumper that I now need to fit now ....

Yeah, Jamie's really simplified it and its now working a treat.

thanks mate, read the rest if you get the chance, the cars come along way in 18 months.

I've just realised I read the thread when you first started work on it mate, to get it from that orange piece of not very nice word rubbish, to how it is today, that's an amazing amount of time effort and patience well done dude, enjoy her :)

as for the RR, thats interesting but does make sense, 1bar RR stops boost drooping below that then you can raise it to 1.1 or 1.2 or above depending on turbos.

• 4 months later...

Right, time for another quick update, although it’s too cold and wet to even take her out at the minute…

I’ve been hoarding my parts over the past couple of months, I’ve picked up

550 injectors,

New Aluminium radiator

Gearbox cooler

Cam gears,

Full OEM gasket kit

And some new alloys, which I’m over the moon about, I saw some of these about 18 months ago and at the time didn’t have the available cash and I haven’t seen them come up again since, however I managed to get these for an absolute steal, photos below. 19” 275 on the back 235 on the front. Bit dark in the garage, but very happy with the look. My old ones will be going up for sale soon.

So I’m keen to get the engine ready for next year and want to hopefully running around 450 HP, if the autobox withstands it. so in the next couple of weeks, cars going off to a friend’s house, for the head to be taken off, new Cams, valve seals, head gasket, injectors etc… whilst it’s in bits I’ve just bought a polishing machine, so will be polishing up the cam covers, water pipe and plenum (Bossco watch out here comes my gleaming engine bay J) I realise theres going to be many hours spent in the garage buffing away!

Nearly managed to get hold of an emanage Utlimate the other day, but just missed out, L will map it on the SAFC2 if I don’t’ manage to get hold of one.

2F4EF2B4-96FF-40A4-BD0B-9CABFE135D8E-608-0000009806B8411A_zps38d523d4.jpg

19800ADC-20B3-45FF-882F-3E9618BB6335-608-00000097D3ECF4FE_zps3b1f40a9.jpg

AD1CCAC5-79DC-4B11-9D22-7B56151828F5-608-0000009800A8F046_zps33b6197d.jpg

C0A09E9B-5338-4400-BC6E-171F4BAEB81B-608-00000097C7DDAE68_zps987870a3.jpg

EBB064AC-1D0A-49C8-B609-7E9EC4B16D98-608-0000009814AC6424_zps61e72d5a.jpg

F7D78A0F-9B90-41A6-B59C-2818778CA911-608-00000097EEE49838_zps715206f9.jpg

F9E99B3A-AB11-4F9C-8446-531F8D2FAFB3-608-00000097FB52F228_zpsb5c9f64e.jpg

Edited by mclarenross (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Well winter is finally out of the way so time for another update;

I’ll start off with my cylinder head rebuild which has taken an age… stripped the engine right down and took the head off so I can get 264 cam’s fitted, new valve seats and skimmed head, took it down to the local engine rebuilder, and after a week I went back to pick it up… or so I thought, the valve shims that are in it are apparently miles off when it comes to tolerance, so I spent the best part of a month trying to track down some that would fit, I managed to source a few from Soarer world (Thanks to Smiffie) but since they were a large size, they have been very difficualt to find.

Toyota said they would supply them at £10 =VAT but I didn’t fancy buying 24 of them at that price! I ended up sourcing them from the States, a great guy called Paul at www.industrialpartshouse.com who supplied them at about $4 each, so I’ve saved a fortune, so they should be in uk this week and fitted hopefully before the weekend.

Since I’ve had such a problem with shims, I think I’ll start a club collection... the idea is I'll keep a box of shims that people can borrow from but if they use any they would need to replace with their existing ones. (Watch this space for that.)

So, whilst the engines been stripped, I bought a Polishing machine so that I could start to polish up some metal in the engine bay… no one told me it would take so long…. I hate to think how many hours I’ve spent in my garage recently.. but I think it’s been worth it. (a couple of before and after in the photos below)

550cc injectors are in, I’ve painted my fuel rail and polished the metal clamping bracket.

New Catch can purchased as well as the intake plenum was filthy with oil…

One Cam cover, before and the other half way through polishing....

plenum before cleaned and polished...

AFTER

later this week, will be fitting gearbox cooler and radiator, (need to modify radiator brakets as it sits a little high at the minute.)

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have now put all of the engine back together; Head, Manifold and plenum on, cams in, new seals all round, plumbed all the pipes back together, (except turbo, I’ll come to that in a minute) It looks pretty good with everything polished so I’m happy with the result.

We made up a bracket for the gearbox cooler to go on between the intercooler and the radiator which fits well and that is also now plumbed into the gearbox.

The new radiator sat about 20cm to high, so we had to fabricate the bracket that it sits in so that we could close the bonnet, was a bit of a pain, but now done.

We then went to work on wiring in the resistor pack to work with the 550 injectors, we cut back the loom behind the plenum and managed to identify the 6 wires (orange /black) that came from the injectors, we then wired the plenum side up to the 6 on the pack and then the other end all soldered together to the white wire on the resistor pack. Made a little bracket for the resistor to sit on and job done. Power steering pump back on, we decided out the majority of the power steering cooler pipe as after some investigation it was really designed for overheating in hot countries, if I have a future problem with too much heat, then I’ll put in another cooler at that point. So replumbed in and filled with fluid.

Radiator filled with Toyota Red coolant and gearbox topped up with about another litre of fluid.

We were ready to fire her up…… Spark plugs in and coilpacks unclipped in and quick double check that everything was attached etc and I turned the key to prime the engine with oil, all good so far….

Coilpack clipped and ready to fire, however she just wouldn’t start… see other thread (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?308963-Argh-car-won-t-start-Help-please) , very frustrated, think it sounds like a bad earth, Rory’s coming round tonight to see if we can get to the bottom of it,

There’s a local car show on Wednesday and I’m desperate to take it there. So fingers crossed I can get it started tonight.#

My next question is for anyone running single, I’m trying to remember how all the plumbing goes… I’ve got a profec II boost controller and in the picture Pipe A goes to that, I believe that goes to B the sensor and then I’m a little lost, what goes to the wastegate (D) and which pipe goes to the turbo © I’d appreciate the advice…

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 11.jpg

photo 22.jpg

photo 32.jpg

photo 43.jpg

turbo plumbing.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time for another update,

So I didn’t make it to the car show up in Scotland, L but I finally got to the bottom of why the car’s idle was hunting, after doing a smoke test on the plenum it turned out that the two gaskets on the intake side, one that goes against the block and the other to the plenum, I had put them on the wrong way round… school boy mistake.

The car had to go in for its MOT on the Tuesday before the show and when going through its MOT, the guy had to come out to me and say that he couldn’t do the emissions test as the engine bay was on fire… ! I thought he was joking, however it turned out that my return line from my single was leaking and dropping oil on the exhaust wrap!!, I luckily live about a minute away from the garage so I said I’ll try and get it home… as soon as I got home, there was a little fire coming off the wrap, which was a little scary at the time! I thought it was all going to go up in smoke! but I managed to get it out quickly. I ordered new gasket and started taking the turbo apart (clean / polished) and re-wrapped the exhaust manifold. crisis over… took her back on the Thursday, she was idling a little rough but still passed Mot, Bonza… anyway Friday night came and I thought to be sure she would make it to Scotland (for the show) and back I’d take her for a drive for 20 mins…. well she struggled to even fire up and as soon as I dropped off the revs she died. ahh stuff it I thought and I left her at home (I’ve resigned to the fact that maybe she won’t be on the road this year.)

When I came back from Scotland, (couple of pics below) I decided I’d switch back over to the 550s as I realised that the resistor pack wasn’t the hunt idling issues from before, so I put them back in and with help from Rory, wired it all in and tidied up the wiring. whilst putting it all back together I noticed that I hadn’t put the gasket in between the butterfly valve and the plenum, which probably didn’t help the hunting…

So fired her back up and she sounded great, running pig rich at around 11 afr, but that’s due to the 550s, the idle is still a bit rough, but I sure that’s down to the 264 cams, which I’m told need to be dialled in on the adjustable pulleys to smooth out this idle.

I’ve been in touch with EVoTune in Durham so I can get her mapped and the earliest Jamie can do is the 15th September.!(arrhhh) so I’m just going to have to wait. Jamie’s said he can also dial in the cams for me… so fingers crossed I’m looking at having a big smile back on my face mid-September.!

My new Trial rear bumper turned up (I’ve been after one for ages) and I fitted, blended and sprayed that, very happy with the result.

I’ve also been working on the interior of the car, I have re-fitted all of the plastic interior and carpeted the area where the back seats used to be. I have decided to take out the front part of the roll cage so that I now just have the back part in. on the lookout for some Bride seats, (found some I like, just trying to build up the courage to get them)

That’s it’s for now. roll on the 15th September!

Scottish Car Show

• 1 month later...

Well the 15th of September came and I am very disappointed to say… took the car down to Jamie at Evotune to get mapped and we fired up the car and Jamie said he thought he could hear an exhaust leak probably a cracked manifold, (due to me pouring cold water on it when I had a small fire (see above post)) so he put it on the rollers and said it wasn’t building enough power and its wasn’t’ worth mapping until that’s fixed… I was gutted! so close and yet so far. On a plus side its only getting to about .7 bar and its driving pretty quickly, so should be great when I’ve turned it up to 1.3 J

So I’m going to need to strip the hot side of the turbo (again) check to see what the manifold looks like, (I think I might not have had a gasket on the ext wastegate, so I’ve ordered a new one and I’m secretly hoping that this could be where my leak is.) if it’s not, It’ll be new manifold time and a job to do over the winter. My new red wheel nuts turned up, so I’ve fitted them.

There was a car show on the weekend in South Shields so I took her there for her last outing of the year, good turn out from the NE group, I think we had 9 Supra and it was a good little convoy on the way to the event (bit blooming cold though), some decent cars at the show, but no prizes for any of the Supras, although if there was a prize for biggest Turbo it would have gone to Simon1979!

I’ve decided that I’m going to replace all the bushes components on the car and refurbish all the suspension arms as my winter project, so I’ll be starting to jack up the car on stilts soon and strip off all the suspension component parts ready for my new bushes to turn up.

Also order some Michelin Pilot Sport 3 which turned up yesterday for my Rear tyres 2754019, which I’ll replace when I get the chance..

Couple of photos at the show:

Car of the show for me…

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 5.jpg