The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RMC's Supra Cat d write off restoration ... hopefully

mclarenross

Hopefully you’ve enjoyed most of my build so far, it’s been a love / hate relationship so far, but at the moment it’s a love feeling…

So those who know me, know that I’ve wanted to have a Supra that drives like a new car, so I’ve been building my collection of suspension bushes to replace the 20 years old ones that are currently on the car. A couple of weeks ago I broke down all the suspension components, sold my Bilstein suspension and pulled the brakes apart. The only major issue was getting the ball joints out of the wheel hubs, but with the benefit of a good hammer blow and a ball joint splitter I got everything of the car.

I had started to purchase a number of bushes, but whilst I was looking through ebay I came across a full set of suspension arms and anti roll bars that had recently had the powerflex bushes inserted, all the ball joints refurbished and re-greased. I negotiated a good price and they were delivered later that week. Plus the major bonus that I didn’t need to go through the pain of pushing out the old bushes! really happy when they turned up and started to repaint them with Hammerite (yes I know they will get dirty being white…)

Before

After

I had also been planning on getting a full new set of camber bolts and washers, but after finding that in the UK Toyota wanted nearly £200 for basically 8 bolts I was annoyed and actually found that I could get a full set from the States, delivered for £95 – Mr T you’re a disgrace!) However after taking them out and leaving them soaked in Vinegar for a week I was over moon with the results! I ended up with only having to replace the one rear washer…!

Before

After

I was thinking about replacing the wheel bearings, but I have replaced all the hubs previously with hubs that have done 70K and there is no movement in the bearings.

I did decide to refurbish the brake calipers and bought a refurb kit from Chris Wilson who was very helpful also helped me when I realised you need to remove the full metal head from the old slider pins boots (you will know what I mean if you have done this.) apart from that, quite a straight forward job. I followed this guide http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=190

I always knew my brakes weren’t great as I didn’t stop in a straight line… J and I realised doing this job that several of the cailpers were seized!, so a very worthwhile job if anyone is thinking of doing this.

so starting to get excited, new suspension components, new brakes, new tyres, new suspension (shortly) oh and I also replaced all the Steering bushes.

Next I got out the wire brush and started to get under the car and attack any rust I could find with the intention that everything underneath will be getting the hammerite treatment, I’ll be starting on the paint this week….

inside the car I’ve bought three new gauges for the glove box, Oil & Water Temp and Oil Pressure, Big thanks to Robby for sorting me out with a sandwich plate and to Matsi for the glove box holder. I’ll need to do the wiring in the next couple of weeks.

Next few jobs,

Paint the underneath

Install suspension components

Buy a new manifold

Bride Seats & Takata harness.

Wheel Reallignment and Map

and hopefully I’m nearly there…. nearly….

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Looking good with the gauges in Ross :)

Thanks mate, there all wired in now and I've got all my sensors in place, I'll have to wait to get my battery in before I can find out if its all working.

I've bought a battery relocation kit so I'm just going through some options at the minute as to where i think I want to place the battery, either right in the boot (but I'm worried it might lose some power to the starter motor) or else weld it in behind one of the seats... I've also started on a part wire tuck in the engine bay and trying to make my mind up on the fusebox location. might keep it where it is for now.

After much thought and reading many reviews on here, I decided on getting some new BC coilovers, so very excited to see what the new ride is going to be like.... i

I have now started tightning up all the suspension bolts and ball joints I'm just waiting on one new bolt to go on the bottom of the coilovers, (seemed to have misplaced it!) and I've got some new handbrake shoes that I need to fit.

So everythings coming along nicely, just trying to source a 1jz single manifold and then I'm nearly done. I've bought some Michelin Pilot Sport 3 all round that I'll also need to fit and then its just a map and full geo all round! roll on the summer!

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo.jpg

She'd better after all the work I've put in! :-).

Hows yours coming along after the accident?

Lol Im sure it will mate ;)

Ive never touched anything after i replaced the front bumper, headlights and replaced the wheels/tryes basically mate, Im still sorta unsure what too do with it tbh Id rather keep it, but its bodywork AGAIN! :/

I still need to collect that wing off you for sams car aswell mate, totally forgot about it, did you mange to find that d/s seatbelt btw?

• 2 months later...

Time for another update as summer is nearly here!

I have had a long drawn out affair trying to get the manifold sourced and with the correct external wastegate positioning 9and bolt holes!… much bigger problem than just a simple swap… tried getting one from the states, but it was going to be too expensive + the taxes, tried getting one from Japspeed and typically they had just sold their last one on the day before I enquired! so I finally ended up getting one off the Driftworks forum, knowing that I was going to have to refabricate the external wastegate flange and then brace/ strengthen the manifold. I used the guys at Spanner Monkeys and thought they were an excellent bunch of guys with decent prices to match, I ended up having to go back a few times to get the screamer pipe leaving the wastegate at the exact angle (as its really tight under the car.)

So everything is finally bolted up underneath and it is all very tight and snug, so there shouldn’t be any vacuum leaks like last time I went for a mapping session!

Other jobs I’ve been doing:

I’ve been trying to get the right set up on the coilovers, think I’m a little too low at the minute and looks like this weekend I’m going to cut the arches a little, to make sure they fit and don’t rub. (think I’m going to cut rather than roll).

Battery has been relocated to the boot, not too much of a big job and it sits nice and proud in the middle of the car now. I’ve got a spare power lead the right length, if anyone wants to make me an offer…

Going to fire the old girl up this weekend and then I’ll be booked into Revolution for 4 wheel alignment as she massively out of whack and they are going to change over to my Michelin Pilots at the same time.

My gauges are now in the glovebox holder and I checked all the electrics this week and they turned on and appear to be working… so that’s a plus

Bought a turbo trumpet from the states for shows, don’t think I’ll run it when I’m just driving her around, but it does look cool, J carried on with my wire tuck and managed to move the alternator cable out of view so you don’t see that coming across under the air filter.

Fitted my aerocatches, bit of a bugger of a job, lots of trial and error , trying to get the bolts to match up on the catches…

quite a few decent shows coming up over the next couple of months and looks like a few local members have done a few updates on their cars, so looking forward to catching up.

more pictures to follow once I've tidied it up a bit.

REvolution, they have the hunter 4 wheel machine, and do all the camber adjustment etc. for about £100ish.

I used revolution before. They won't adjust stuff if they can't get the bolts undone. Just make sure everything under the car hasn't rusted solid.

Loving the wire tuck though! Good work!

We need to get these weekly meets happening again!

• 2 weeks later...

So fired her up today and she sounds good all gauges working BUT there seems to be coolant leaking from the top water neck, any ideas? Is it just a bad seal or is the thermostate not working? ( I did replace it about 6 months ago, but haven't really driven her much since. ) any idea what it might be ? (I've got Toyota red coolant in it)

you need to turn your head sideways to look at the picture :-)

image.jpg