The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RMC's Supra Cat d write off restoration ... hopefully

mclarenross

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

We’ll I missed the deadline to get the car to the rollers last weekend, but I went down anyway to meet some of supra guys from the North east, an excellent morning and some beautiful Supra’s on display… think my favourite was Bossco’s! but a great event organised by Marc. (396.6hp)!

Couple of new bits for the car, I bought a Carbon rear wing for the back spoiler, I’ve got a feeling it needs to be bigger, so I’ll stick with this for now and stay on the lookout for a bigger one.!, and I’m still waiting for a carbon fibre bonnet to come up for sale… haven’t seen one for ages!

I also bought some Gandor style wing mirrors on ebay the other day, they look great and after speaking with Bossco, he mentioned that if they have the proper plastic clips then they are most likely genuine (and they do), so result!

I was down in London the other day, so I called in to meet Scooby slayer(member on the site) and bought a rear strut brace of him. Looks very nice in the car, just need to carpet the rear, but I’ll do that later.

The good news, (sorry edit)… great news is that I fired up the engine for the first time last night… In the words of Bill and Ted “a momentous occasion.!”

Finally finished all the wiring and a massive thanks to Konrad for his “chicken scratches” (you can find them elsewhere on the site) took a little while to understand them and we had a hundred printouts, but once it clicked it was easy to get on with the soldering. I’m going to do my own guide to 1JZgte wiring on here as there were a couple of wires that weren’t filled in on his guide and mine an automatic. (and a couple of earth wires weren’t correctly earthed)

A few other teething problems with the dreadful immobilizers currently on the car, just a heap of wires shoved under the steering wheel… Rory was under the steering wheel cutting wires here there and everywhere and finally came out a box with a billion wires attached.

But after several hours Rory said those words I had been waiting for ….

“Do you want the honour….?”

“F**king oath I do” was the response!

We had a quick think through that everything was connected properly, there was no water in it, so could only run it for 15-20 seconds… turned the key and it sprung to life immediately…. However, power steering fluid flew out all over the car, looked a little like blood… we haven’t fitted the power steering reservoir yet, so it just shot out what was left in the pipes… oops.

Any way we attached a couple of pipes to the PAS so that it would just send the oil to a catchment tank for now, turned the key again and hey presto she is alive! Purring like a kitten.

So only jobs left, are, need to reattach prop shaft, we’ve got a connector on the new gearbox that we want to replace, connect the power steering reservoir and run the throttle cable through.

That’ll all be done tonight and Rory’s is going to start on the “new” immobiliser and remote start.

I think I’m going to run it for a little while, before connecting the FCD, to see if there is a difference.

Front bumper is back on and so I’ll need to respray that (probably on Sunday) and I also bought one of those number plates that stick on the front bumper rather than fitting in the nose, (I know it’s not legal, but what the hell – it’s not a daily drive for me, so hopefully I’ll get away with it) I got a nice little banner on it, with reference to this forum.. :-)

Next week I’m planning to take it in to Revolution 24/7 in Gateshead as they have the Hunter 4 wheel alignment system, which I’m told is very good, anyone know if it’s easy enough aligning the Supra… as my passenger rear wheel looks like it needs quite a bit of aligning…

wing mi.jpg

wiring.jpg

car.jpg

Bossco.JPG

meet 5.JPG

Edited by mclarenross (see edit history)

Well I had my first drive of the 1JZgte this evening, and even though its raining and I took it easy as it was really just a test run, I was very very impressed, thought I'd nail it in 1st and wooah, pretty happy with the results...

doesn't drive straight at the minute, so hopefully getting it in revolution on Friday to get all 4 wheels aligned and then i'll start pushing her...

remote alarm getting fitted tomorrow and then its on to the next stage of tuning...

couple of pictures of rear strut, alarm and reg plate....

Happy days!

photo.jpg

alarm.jpg

front.jpg

strut.jpg

• 2 months later...

Time for another update

Probably now clocked a couple of hundred miles in the Supra and really enjoying the driving experience, amazing that the car is nearly 20 years old but handles better than the M3 I had… sadly only getting run out on the weekends though…

I wanted to get a SAFC and AVCR (Apexi) and managed to get them from a member on here called gjames. I booked the car into Jurgen’s to get them professional installed and after dropping the car off, Jurgen sadly gave me the call saying they the units didn’t work… oh bugger I thought, I’ve just been ripped off….

However, I got in touch with gjames and he was excellent, apologised that the units didn’t work, refunded my money and I sent the units back to him, to hopefully get repaired.

I had bought some 440 injectors off Hodgy a while back and managed to squeeze them in, was a right pain in the arse and you need very small hands and have to keep all your fingers crossed that the seals don’t come off the end of the injectors….which most of them did.

I then made the decision that since its starting to get wet and it’ll be in the garage for a while, that I would change the look of the car again, go for a full respray (Audi White) and make sure this time the bodywork is in excellent condition, you learn a lot the first time round!

So I bought a bomex front bumper off a member on here, that had a little bit of damage to it, but after fibre glassing and moulding it, it looks as good as new. I also got a facelift drivers side wing at the same time, but after struggling to find a passenger side one, I’ve ended up buying drift_bears vented wings which I will be making them into facelift ones after he drops them off.

I also picked up some Veilside side skirts (my favourite, but not to everyone’s liking) from Marc (SAFCdixion) as he’s going for a different look and they were in decent condition, apart from the holes he had cut in them for his side exit exhausts…. after a bit more fibreglass and filler again looking as good as new.

I’ve been wanting to get a Carbon Fibre bonnet for ages but they’ve been like hens teeth and very nearly bought Hodgy’s one… but I’ve ended up going for Add Heywood’s white one, which I should be collecting next week. ( I think he’s been after Pudsey’s one…)

So once I’ve got all the panels back together, I’ve already sanded down the rest of the car, It’ll be painting time... Father in law bought me a big compressor recently, so I should be able to get a better and consistent spray from the gun!

I also bought a HKS SSQV for the motor to get a louder “pppiiishhhh” I’ll have to work out how to fit that later… managed to get a SAFC from the same guy so will get that fitted probably early next year along with a HKS Boost Controller that I bought from Greg (Sheefa).

And also some new top and bottom Samco hoses for the radiator. (yet to be fitted)

I’ve pulled out the headlights again as they are rubbish, cloudy on both sides, bought some of that plastex as I was told it worked “like magic” but no “abracadabra” can save these headlights, so currently on the lookout for some of these, don’t mind if plastics or glass as long as they are clear!

sup1.jpg

sup2.jpg

sup6.jpg

sup3.jpg

sup5.jpg

Cheers guys,yeah I think the Bomex will be a massive improvement .. I remember back to the 90's when all the big Supra's were driving round will the full Veilside kits and thinking wow, that looks awesome.... but now it seems the concencous is that there a little bit to lary... I'll just stick to the side skirts......for now...;)

Not sure about the spotlights, I was just thinking about putting black mesh behind them... I'll have to source the headlight from somewhere first... bobski, hows the gearbox going? you get it in alright?

And Listy35, yeah I wait about 6 months for a CB to come up and nothing.... I then saw Add's one, which I think looks great and I've now changed the plan for the look of the car, so white bonnet, white roof... maybe get my ganador wing mirrors carbon dipped....

• 2 months later...

We’ll I recently took the car of the road as I figured I wouldn’t be driving it for a while… and so I’ve added all my new pieces of the puzzle.

I bought Drift Bear ‘s vented front wings and I welded in some backing mesh so that it looks pretty good (I should mention that drift bear dropped them off at my house and my wife answered the door to a man dressed in a full monkey suit… Excellent, ). They also had some little holes in them, (I think from an old veilside kit, but I fibreglassed the back and then filled in the holes so that they are very clean and smooth.

As I said in my last post, the lights were ruined and so I’ve bought some plastic lights from Alex (dr Jekeyl) which are in excellent condition. 

I also bought some rear facelift lights from Sunny, (spg-26) and they are also in excellent condition.

And so the re build began… Veilside skirts back on, front wings and Abflug front bonnet(I still need to line it up). I’ve body filled the lines at both ends of the side skirts and this time I think I’m going to leave alone the join between the front wings and bumper. I had some issues getting the front bumper on, for some reason it wouldn’t fit over the crash bar so I had to cut it a little to make room…I’ll have to fibreglass some pieces to fill in the holes when I get the chance, I’ve bought a chrome slam plate to go over the intercooler.

So I’ve have just a little bit more sanding to go to make it look smooth all over and then it’ll be paint time again. However this time I won’t be using a clear coat on top, just the white 2K.

And then there is the great news….wait for it…. I just bought the driftmotion single turbo 60-1 kit that Darren (Welshbuddy) had running on his 1JZ.

So I have (I think) all the parts I need to go single.

Turbo

Manifold

Downpipe

Wastegate

440 injectors

Boost controller

Safc

I thinking I’m going to try running it off the SAFC to start with and if I have any problems I’ll probably look into a Emanage blue or ultimate.

I think there’s a couple of meets coming up in the NE. so I’ll be finished by early March.

http://image

http://image

photo 5.jpg

photo 6.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Single turbo :D nice! Liking the new front too Ross looks alot better than the veilside, :thumbs:

On the paint i would defintley clear coat it, although i liked the look of my flat white the weather got into the paint and discoloured it in places,

Hodgy was saying that if I use 2K paint i wouldn't need the gloss, was your paint 2K or Cellulose?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah that looks loads better mate! Good work :thumbs:

cheers, I hear your the man to speak to about window tints, so I'll probably be down to visit in March or April...

That's looking great Ross!! Really look forward to seeing this at a local meet.

Are you leaving it spoilerless??

mmm, cant decide at the minute Stevo.... I've bought a huge carbon wing that I haven't fitted yet. but I'm also thinking TRD....and also spoilerless... decisions decisions

• 3 weeks later...