Johnny's HKS Twin Build thread

hodge

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the fuel pump installed today. Done nothing else on it though. Spending the day with the wife. Back on the job tomorrow though.

Difference between the 2 pumps is huge.

Pump on the left is a regular walbro and the 1 on the right is a Jay racing modified 044. Johnny tells me it's good to flow enough fuel for around 900HP.

attachment.php?attachmentid=128293&stc=1&d=1300030513

8bec5a4a.jpg

Got the fuel pump installed today. Done nothing else on it though. Spending the day with the wife. Back on the job tomorrow though.

Pump on the left is a regular walbro and the 1 on the right is a Jay racing modified 044. Johnny tells me it's good to flow enough fuel for around 900HP.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa74/hodge_012/8bec5a4a.jpg

Very nice, whats the difference between this 044 and a regular one?

Very nice, whats the difference between this 044 and a regular one?

I'm not sure bud to be honest. I'm sure Johnny will be able to tell you more. He had 1 fitted to his MR2. I'm sure he will fill you in with all the details.

Nice work mate, you pulled that apart quickly, that pump looks a nice upgrade an all, Might want bigger injectors, 800's may just do 750bhp but you will be at 100% duty cycle which is not a good idea.

It took me about 6-7hrs all told to get to this stage. The strip down is the quick part, it's the build up and getting it all look neat and OEM takes the time for me.

If the injectors are an issue, Johnny will bite the bullet and go for some bigger ones.

Sounds pretty dangerous to me. Do they do it to tighten it too.

Getting the starter to turn the engine backwards is a bit tricky ;)

The starter bump to undo the nut is perfectly safe so long as the socket doesn't break or come off and the bar is secure and substantial enough not to fail.

I lock the flywheel with an adapter that bolts on instead of the starter motor. If all else fails I drill the bumper, and air con rad and use an F1 air starter to jar the bolt free.

Just kidding, usually..... :)

Nice work mate, you pulled that apart quickly, that pump looks a nice upgrade an all, Might want bigger injectors, 800's may just do 750bhp but you will be at 100% duty cycle which is not a good idea.

True Jamie, although I think Jay is running 800s, I'd like something around his power. But not that high till I go forged. I would be delighted with 700bhp

It's hit and miss with air gun. The majority I have done won't undo with an air gun. Locking it and using a bar is the only option in that case but hopefuly the gun will do it.

Remember my one with the Boostlogic pulley :) That was a bit of a butt clencher! :D

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa74/hodge_012/8bec5a4a.jpg

Nice job Hodge :thumbs:

One question - is that hose suitable for continuous submersion in fuel? When I did all my searching around I couldn't find any braided stuff made to go "in-tank" - only the Gates specific submersible hose which is not braided.

Remember my one with the Boostlogic pulley :) That was a bit of a butt clencher! :D

Nice job Hodge :thumbs:

One question - is that hose suitable for continuous submersion in fuel? When I did all my searching around I couldn't find any braided stuff made to go "in-tank" - only the Gates specific submersible hose which is not braided.

Hey Dan

Yeah the hose is fine mate. I checked with the hydraulics place before I used it. It's not rubber inside it PTFE (Teflon) made but a converlute type so it doesn't crease either. I was also told it would be fine with race fuel too:eyebrows:

Did some more work today.

Took the crank pulley off and fitted the rear strut bar.

Crank locking on. Put a towel on the bodywork so not to scratch or damage it.

001.jpg

Pulley off.

002.jpg

003.jpg

Fuel hanger is in. But I need to clean out the top part of the tank cos it's covered in dust as you can see.

004.jpg

Stripped back the panels for the strut brace.

005.jpg

Trimmed the panels so there an OEM fit with the strut bar.

It looks on the Pi$$ in the pic but it is straight lol.

006.jpg

Carpets back in. The bar fit through the stock holes in the carpet. But the carpet needs some Velcro attached to the back to pull the edges tighter to keep the lines of the boot flowing correctly.

007.jpg

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

A bit of minimalistic work gone on today. Well I say today, I started at 3.30am lol.

I pulled out the loom from the inner wing and re-routed it slightly differently. I've tucked away the ABS Relay box, removed all the unessessary brackets and extended a couple of wires so I could get them tucked away out of sight. I've moved the alarm box back beside the brake servo but still needs to be secured.

Finally I've gave the inner wing a good clean cos it was canny dirty once everything was removed.

Loom removed.

001.jpg

All cleaned up.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

I've got the alternator wire to extend then I'll move onto the bulkhead.

A bit more engine bay clean up today.

I've decided to remove the alarm siren and locate it in the inner wing with the siren facing the engine bay so it can still be heard but it's out the way.

Still undecided where the fusebox is going to go though.

Here's a couple of pics so far.

029_EngineBay.jpg

030_EngineBay.jpg

031_EngineBay.jpg