Single Shopping list - I need your input

Scott

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the most i think 700bhp on a healthy stock engine will be fine if you look after it and dont do to many top speed runs, it is a risk but as long as you are aware of it thats fine, both times i have had problems with my stock and built engine was at thunder road, i pushed that stock engine hard and it never liked it in the end, i knew my built engine had a problem before i even raced at thunder road but as i was taking it apart the week later for the winter upgrades i took the risk and ran it, we think the block had a crack as every time i went flat out the water system pressurised and overflowed, i got that block out of a crashed supra. running a 50shot of Nitrous off the line and in every gear on top of 900bhp might have helped finish it off, i cared not as i wanted to upgrade the engine anyhow.

This is going to be the deciding factor. The first thing I need to do is have my engine given the once over. It has a decent mileage of 78k (with most of that being KMs) so it is well run in :D

Thats not a huge figure mate, not as ideal as jamies at 30k totally standard but there we go, also jamesys was around 70k before he went single, mine is 77k and seems to have some valve seating issue's, hence the strip down and refresh, otherwise i probably would'nt have bothered!

The finished artcile and ultimate choice of turbo will come down to how u want the car to drive?

Really quick spool / laggy but huge top end etc?

I wanted both :D so the only real option was the Billet turbos! As been mentioned definitely get a complete turbo kit and if possible definitely stretch to the Syvecs ecu :)

I would say £10k is going to be very hard to come in at personally mate, as Ricky said the little bits add up massively!! (polishing, gaskets, -10, -12 lines etc, new bolts)

a 700hp car is still fine for an everyday car, if built properly :) i use mine every day its not wet and its all good...

The finished artcile and ultimate choice of turbo will come down to how u want the car to drive?

I wanted both :D so the only real option was the Billet turbos! As been mentioned definitely get a complete turbo kit and if possible definitely stretch to the Syvecs ecu :)

I would say £10k is going to be very hard to come in at personally mate, as Ricky said the little bits add up massively!! (polishing, gaskets, -10, -12 lines etc, new bolts)

a 700hp car is still fine for an everyday car, if built properly :) i use mine every day its not wet and its all good...

alot of guys talk about 6-7 grand, unlikely unless you buy all second hand parts and leave alot of things unopened(head etc), im sure mine will come in around 9ish now im going for an engine refresh, and thats all labour free and a used turbo kit and ecu!

Billet turbo and the syvecs are on the definite list. I was between a cast manifold and a tubular manifold but I think I will stick with the tubular is it will be far easier getting it to fit correctly.

Won't need to worry about polishing, everything in my bay is painted either black or red lol.

There is no limit in time or money for my project so I have that on my side. Who knows, by the time I have the bits sitting there and the money to have it all fitted I might even have changed my mind and decide to punt it all lol.

The saving has started this week so will just need to see how it goes :)

alot of guys talk about 6-7 grand, unlikely unless you buy all second hand parts and leave alot of things unopened(head etc), im sure mine will come in around 9ish now im going for an engine refresh, and thats all labour free and a used turbo kit and ecu!

When going for 700 bhp, you shouldn't safe your cash on the wrong place.

10k £ is certainly a minimum.

My whole point with you has been your opinion is based on opinions.. not facts. My opinion and decision is based on facts and experience of current owners and traders.

If you want an expert opinion from a current trader have a chat with Chris Wilson, if you want an expert opinion from a current owner talk to TLicense.

I'm no longer an owner or trader, so I'm out of here.

If you want an expert opinion from a current trader have a chat with Chris Wilson, if you want an expert opinion from a current owner talk to TLicense.

I'm no longer an owner or trader, so I'm out of here.

I'm happy to listen to anyone with a basis to their argument though Nic. In your opinion 700hp is too much for a stock block but I don't see you putting any information on why, only point to people who haven't gone so far in the past.

I think that you will not get any change from £15000.00 to start with, and hopefully that will be that. But all I no is , as I just gone single, It will be more then that in the end. When You start adding all the little things just to make the car drive nice. eg more mapping,

maybe a new exhaust, to get more power, or just to be Quite, around town. new gauges,and we know how much they are, that is a easy £800.00 with out fitting. and then you got wheels and tyres ,you will need at least 285 on the rears , and that is £300.00 upwards , and then you got wheel arch rolling. And when you done all that, and the car is running at about 700 bhp. You might think about Fitting Nos , and thats about £1500 fitted , and before you know it you have hit that £20.000.00 .

But you will have a cracking car , and you will have great fun in it. just remember if you need to sale it . you will only see half your money back. That is the biggest joke.

Not sure if this was aimed towards myself or just a general post :)

My car isn't a daily driver, it is a toy. I've had it over 3 years now and in that time did less than 6k miles (I will need to check what I have actually done, might even be less than 5).

Everyone talks about fast spooling but, as I have said previously, the 6765 is proven to have a fantatsic spool with it making silly power before 4krpm. You only have to look at JP's graphs to see that. I think I would be getting the best of both worlds with this turbo or one with similar characteristics. At first I was GT35r all the way but I see no point in spending the same amount of money for a 550hp goal when I could have a 700hp goal... regardless of whether I use it when I drive it or not.... I have it :)

Regarding the kits I definitely plan on going down that route. When I said I want to start buying the bits I am hoping for the kit to be one entity lol. I have been looking at the Whifbitz kits and they seem to be ticking all the boxes. If anything I would maybe buy an HKS manifold if one came up for grabs but other than that, as rightly said, a kit is the best option for me.

scot there is a brand new billet version out at end of month gtx3582r good for tween 450/750bhp might be worth a look at, personally i think the jump from bpu 400/450hp up to 700hp is to much, i got a spin in cheifgrovers supra 700roughly hp and in my opinion it was undrivable it was insane, i think even 100hp over bpu so arond 550hp should be your goal and see if its enough hp, if not then turn up the boost to get another 100hp, that be 650hp. i would not destroy your car its a minter on trying for 700+hp when maybe 550 might be enough for ya

I think Nic is wise to urge caution, he is putting another side of an argument based on his experience of dealing with many owners and their builds. 700bhp is a lot on a stock motor, may be it will hold for a while, the problem is no one knows for sure. The Americans have a huge advantage went it comes to taking risks, the cost are much lower so the impact of a melt down is less significant. I kmow of may US auto owners who thought nothing of trashing 3 or 4 auto boxs before they bit the bullet and went for an uprated box.

Given the amount you are going to have to spend to get where you want to go, the percentage extra to ensure the engine is strong enough is pretty small. There will otherwise always be that nagging doubt at the back of your mind when you do use 700bhp. It is easy for others to say it will be fine as it is not their money. If you can find a trader to guarantee that it wont pop, you have nothing to worry about.

We will be able to see if a stock lump will take 700 bhp and run the HKS drag series with a shot of nos , as that is what I will be doing next year. I hope that it will hold together ,and if not I my have a built engine next. But what I have seen of built engines they only last about the same time as a stock. And cost about 5 x more.

Scott, forget the nit picking over your power level, you have already stated you are aware of the consequences so the thread would be better if we just left it at that.

The list looks pretty complete, I would advise scanning the SupraForums for sale section to find parts for your build at a good price/quality, they seem to have a lot more "single turbo goodies" go through than we do

I also think you'll only be seeing IRO 600hp going for a 6765 with 264's, if you want to push bhp boundaris you're gonna need to go bigger, maybe a billet 74? BTW I accept no responsibility if this pops your engine :D

You gotta be drunk tonight:D

6765 will do much more than 600bhp on 264's, i did 730 on 256 cams and a stock engine at SRR, as it turned out the blades on the turbo was melted when i did that, 6765 will do 800 UK bhp with the right setup imo.