Single Shopping list - I need your input

Scott

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mate, your first post said itro 600bhp for a 6765 with Scotts spec, my old cast T67 with a tiny .68 hotside did 630bhp at 1.8bar on a stock unopened engine and i did over 15k like that, imo a billet 6765 with a .81 or .96 hotside and 264 cams should do an easy 700bhp, id be gutted if it didnt and wonder whats wrong.

I still have my doubts a billet makes any more difference, seen dyno pulls before and it's not until high boost on race gas the billet makes any meaningfull power difference. This build wasnt' supposed to be a deep pockets money no object build. My initial point was that if Scott wanted to see a willy waving figure and stand a realistic chance of keeping the engine together for some time he'd be better off not ragging a T67 and going for a T71 T74.

You might be able to get a T67 to pull 700bhp, people keep bringing Jamesy up, if Scott wants 700bhp he's going to have to push things a lot harder than jamesy has. Is that what Scott wants, I got the impression this wasn't a big budget build and that if something broke it was prolly goodnight vienna for a while.

Did you run the entire 15k at 1.8BAR? I thought things ramped up as time progressed?

Like I say I'm ready to be proved wrong, but i don't want to see no Hi/Lo boost crap, whatever the tune needs to reach 700bhp is what he should run day in day out at various events (drag/mile) over the years,

No no - I said he could have around 700bhp - Jamie had 730bhp on 256's?

Scott's asking for input on various things - and I used Jamesy's car as an example. Scott had budgeted for an RLTC and a boost controller, so by removing those (because he was already going Syvecs) I suggested cams as a "freebie" - hence my thought process.

Yeah, you said he could have around 700bhp if he followed Jamesy and used lower boost, I said the only problem with your logic is that he ain't got no q45 and he ain't got no big cams, subtract them then you aren't 700bhp never mind when you drop the boost down to make it more "conservative". It's like you took 10 subtracted 3 and got 9?

If you guys think a T67 will get him the 700 go for it, when I see the opening line of a build thread saying "I don't have wads of cash to throw at my car as it is really only my toy/hobby so I will be doing it in bits as/when I have money" I would tend to air on the side of caution tuning wise where I could, and if there was a less stressfull way of achieving the power he desires than that would be the educated way of doing it rather than "lets see how much power we can get out of turbo x"

I still have my doubts a billet makes any more difference, seen dyno pulls before and it's not until high boost on race gas the billet makes any meaningfull power difference. This build wasnt' supposed to be a deep pockets money no object build. My initial point was that if Scott wanted to see a willy waving figure and stand a realistic chance of keeping the engine together for some time he'd be better off not ragging a T67 and going for a T71 T74.

You might be able to get a T67 to pull 700bhp, people keep bringing Jamesy up, if Scott wants 700bhp he's going to have to push things a lot harder than jamesy has. Is that what Scott wants, I got the impression this wasn't a big budget build and that if something broke it was prolly goodnight vienna for a while.

Did you run the entire 15k at 1.8BAR? I thought things ramped up as time progressed?

Like I say I'm ready to be proved wrong, but i don't want to see no Hi/Lo boost crap, whatever the tune needs to reach 700bhp is what he should run day in day out at various events (drag/mile) over the years,

As far as I can tell the only difference between my setup and Jamesy's setup is that I won't have the intake manifold and Q45. I'm not ruling out the intake but it certainly isn't up there on my priorities list. I had 264's on my list right from the beginning but I think I will go with the SRD 269's going on the results already given. I have now added a 7200rpm limit via any of the minor head upgrades that need done (Springs etc) so that should help it get there too.

700 is just the maximum that I am willing to go for. If the setup hits 650, 670 or 690 I honestly won't care. Going on what other people have managed 700 is a very realistic figure to achieve on the T67 with a .96 hotside. If 740hp can be reached with the exact same setup minus an intake manifold I don't see why 700ish won't be achievable on mine.

I don't drive by the seat of my pants Jay, I just want to have a car that has reached the potential I want it to have.. whether I drive it that way every time I take it out is up to me whether pointless to others or not.

The whole confusion in this thread for me is our opinions on what amount of stress is deemed acceptable to reach the desired power levels. People KEEP on quoting these figures that Jamie has got on this setup and that setup, correct me if I'm wrong but cold truth is he's now 2 engines down, 1 stock, 1 built, you guys look at what he is achieving and think you can have the same thing and because someone has already done it, it's more acceptable and easier to achieve. Scott, you reckon you can handle 2 blown engine rebuilds?

I don't want to seem like a kill joy here, I just like to think I'm being realistic. You want 700bhp from your T67 you have to have the attitude "I got loads of cash spare and i don't care if it breaks I'll just build it stronger nexttime"?

As far as I can tell the only difference between my setup and Jamesy's setup is that I won't have the intake manifold and Q45. I'm not ruling out the intake but it certainly isn't up there on my priorities list. I had 264's on my list right from the beginning but I think I will go with the SRD 269's going on the results already given. I have now added a 7200rpm limit via any of the minor head upgrades that need done (Springs etc) so that should help it get there too.

700 is just the maximum that I am willing to go for. If the setup hits 650, 670 or 690 I honestly won't care. Going on what other people have managed 700 is a very realistic figure to achieve on the T67 with a .96 hotside. If 740hp can be reached with the exact same setup minus an intake manifold I don't see why 700ish won't be achievable on mine.

I don't drive by the seat of my pants Jay, I just want to have a car that has reached the potential I want it to have.. whether I drive it that way every time I take it out is up to me whether pointless to others or not.

You never stated SRD 269's in your original post. You said you didn't want to crank the engine open. To fit 269's you need upgraded springs and retainers. That's easier done with the head off. Or you can do it with the head on but all the time this is adding £££ in parts & £££ in labour to your build. I'm gettnig proper mixed signals as to what this build actually is. I thought you just wanted to wack on a turbo setup and have a nice low (ish) cost single setup

Even if you don't make 700, you'll have loads of fun at 600-650.

My previous setup was a T72 on the stock block but a Whifbitz race head, and it made around 630ish at 20 psi.

The car was awesome on the road and done some hard driving without any issues at all. The shortblock was in perfect condition when removed and is being used now by someone else.

Alot of the US guys run their high powered stock blocked car's on race, or E85. On Pump they don't push the blocks at all.

Jamie has done extremely well to get the power he has on 100% pump so far, and I don't think anyone in the US has even got that much power on just pump fuel. That paired with how hard that car is driven may contribute to the longevity of his setup.

Running on 100% pump will make it "risky" but still with your low mileage per year it should be ok for a while.

If you ran E85 it would probably make it a little safer.

It's your choice in the end, however having a prepared budget for a built/spare shortblock down the line somewhere would definitely be worth it.

You never stated SRD 269's in your original post. You said you didn't want to crank the engine open. To fit 269's you need upgraded springs and retainers. That's easier done with the head off. Or you can do it with the head on but all the time this is adding £££ in parts & £££ in labour to your build.

Are Lee's 269's a particularly high lift? Interference? If so you'd better add in a billet tensioner bracket and a strong timing belt for a bit more peace of mind.

I thought you just wanted to wack on a turbo setup and have a nice low (ish) cost single setup
That would probably limit things to about 550 though! :)

Thanks for the input, big help bud.

And LOL at this thread :D

I think I will go with Lee's cams and springs etc. Am I safe upping the rev limit to around the 7k mark with just springs/retainers?

9000, the Yanks do it, push the boundaries, no pain, no gain :)

The RPM limit is decided by the cams and head flow, breathing wise, and the valve train and engine stresses those revs impose then require a suitable spec of build. In other words it needs deciding from the cam specs and the desired power band where this is likely to be, and the engine built to accommodate it. As the whole thread seems focused on turbo types and little else save achieving some magic 700 BHP figure I think this will be an interesting, if eventually a costly, in one way or another, build :)

I did about 20k on that stock engine, couple thousand at 550 1.5bar another couple at 590 1.6 bar, but mostly it ran at 630bhp 1.8bar , ive never had a low boost setting, what ever power i stated in my garage or sig at that time is the power it ran at.

That would probably limit things to about 550 though! :)

This has been said on here by someone else recently, but sometimes I think with all the power figures banded about, we forget that even a BPU Supra is extremely fast, and will dispatch pretty much any other car on the road :)

This has been said on here by someone else recently, but sometimes I think with all the power figures banded about, we forget that even a BPU Supra is extremely fast, and will dispatch pretty much any other car on the road :)

so true people on here are in another world about bhp figures..... when i read "a conservative 600-700hp for now" etc....!!! i laugh - thats quicker than almost every supercar on the road by a long way and its considered "conservative"!!

gotta love the supra community :)

so true people on here are in another world about bhp figures..... when i read "a conservative 600-700hp for now" etc....!!! i laugh - thats quicker than almost every supercar on the road by a long way and its considered "conservative"!!

gotta love the supra community :)

I think the first car I saw when I started lurking on here was Jamie's and I thought that was ridiculous. I then saw someone talking about "BPU" with 400bhp and I was like "Whoa!"

Now when I hear of someone going for 600bhp is doesn't seem like that much.

Crazy power compared to almost every car on the road :D

jamie in your opinion was there a huge difference tween 550hp and your 630hp on the road as in was it similar to stock versus full bpu or less or more. are you talkiing lots of seconds of quarter mile times or tenths of a second. or was the power more noticable after a certain speed. after been in chiefgrovers car 700hp i felt its hard to put in words but the engine was out of its efficency like the turbo was taking over, prob not making much sense, this 6765 turbo you talk bout how would this compare to the new gtx billet gt35r