The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Shopping list - I need your input

Scott

Damn, I thought the southbends were well thought of. I definitely don't want an RPS. What other options do I have under 1k?

Aeromotive sounds good, will that come as a kit or will I need fittings etc to go with it?

Not sure on the ARC outlet, I think it's 3" but I will happily weld on a 4" tube :D

Supertech sound fine, similar price to the GSC's (I only thought of them because of the cams)

I hear of so many people having problems with them, even after the slave cylinder mod, seriously heavy pedal, Why no RPS, had the street max in mine for a couple of years and was superb.

Let Lee sort any fittings you need if he is installing everything.

Ive not seen the ARC kit but with a 4" tube i cant see it being restrictive.

If the GSC springs are a similar price may be better to go with them, keep everything the same.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear of so many people having problems with them, even after the slave cylinder mod, seriously heavy pedal, Why no RPS, had the street max in mine for a couple of years and was superb.

Let Lee sort any fittings you need if he is installing everything.

Ive not seen the ARC kit but with a 4" tube i cant see it being restrictive.

If the GSC springs are a similar price may be better to go with them, keep everything the same.

Just through reading about unhappy customers on here. Clutches burning out and when going in for warranty claims it's being blamed on mis-use. Also I had an RPS clutch on my MR2 and I absolutely hated it. The biting point was 1mm off the deck and it weighed a ton. I think I'll need to see if I can find people with the clutches so that I can have a feel :D

I would be very surprised if the ARC was a bottleneck after being modded. It's a 10" panel filter that breathes very easily, at 2.5-3" it would probably bottle neck though.

Thanks for all the input so far guys :)

Dual fans - Really needed? If using a stock fat rad the cooling should be fine unless you are planning extremely hard use on the track. Cheaper and easier to stick to the stock viscous and duct the IC and rad correctly.

Missed that part. I was hoping they weren't needed TBH. Sounds good to me. If my rad is in a bad way I'll be going for a stock fatty, at the moment I have a stock facelift skinny :)

Regarding the clutch I've not heard of problems with a heavy pedal on the SB, at least from those using the organic plate. The puck ones are nasty though (which Scott is not after). My SB one felt only very slightly heavier than stock and lasted 36k miles. I hated the RPS street and strip clutches, found them heavy and unpleasant engagement. They also never seem to last very long from the people I know who've used them.

The exhaust choice is critical Scott, it can make a huge impact to performance. My old car went from a 4inch BL to a 3inch TRD and lost over 50bhp through the last half of the rev range. No amount of mapping could bring back a single HP, Ryan tried!

If you're modding the ARC box it will help for sure, but you MUST still duct it.

Oil filter relocation - unnecesary potential point of failure, it's just common sense to avoid these unless absolutely required.

I did 18k of hard miles with my rps and its still going strong in another members car now, was not what i would call heavy either, seems pot luck with these clutches, maybe its how they are bedded in?, so many people complain about the SB and then others say its good, Jules recently fitted a SB in his car and hated it, replaced with a rps and loved that.

I only speak as i found it but dont take my advice, id hate for you to buy a rps then not like it.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Regarding the clutch I've not heard of problems with a heavy pedal on the SB, at least from those using the organic plate. The puck ones are nasty though (which Scott is not after). My SB one felt only very slightly heavier than stock and lasted 36k miles. I hated the RPS street and strip clutches, found them heavy and unpleasant engagement. They also never seem to last very long from the people I know who've used them.

The exhaust choice is critical Scott, it can make a huge impact to performance. My old car went from a 4inch BL to a 3inch TRD and lost over 50bhp through the last half of the rev range.

If you're modding the ARC box it will help for sure, but you MUST still duct it.

I'll be going for either a boostlogic or HKS Ti eventually....... along with a fresh remap. I know it's a waste of money in the long run but it means I can get the car running and enjoy it for a bit before buying the added extras :)

When you say duct it, do you mean box it in Darryl? I'm hoping to do something along the lines of what Jay and some other guys have done, seal it onto the bonnet with some shielding :)

I did 18k of hard miles with my rps and its still going strong in another members car now, was not what i would call heavy either, seems pot luck with these clutches, maybe its how they are bedded in?, so many people complain about the SB and then others say its good, Jules recently fitted a SB in his car and hated it, replaced with a rps and loved that.

I only speak as i found it but dont take my advice, id hate for you to buy a rps then not like it.

Not to worry Jamie, we can only give our opinion based on the experience we have had. Hopefully I can have a wee go in cars with both clutches to see what they are like.

Did Jules have a paddle clutch or was it a disc?

Just read through the entire thread, been a really interesting read, I myself am intending to go single but not until next winter, need to save up and do the rest of the car first.

But as has already been said, it is funny what we class as modest, I'm aiming for something around the 550-600BHP mark and consider this incredibly tame, but when you think about what powere most 'fast' cars make, it really is quite a lot:d

I'll be going for either a boostlogic or HKS Ti eventually....... along with a fresh remap. I know it's a waste of money in the long run but it means I can get the car running and enjoy it for a bit before buying the added extras :)

When you say duct it, do you mean box it in Darryl? I'm hoping to do something along the lines of what Jay and some other guys have done, seal it onto the bonnet with some shielding :)

I do understand why you'd want to take that route with the exhaust, but on the other hand can't help but think it a waste of money. My RSR didn't sound too nice with the single, it went from a deep burble (BPU) to raspy which is why I fitted the BL.

WRT the induction I mean box it in to shield from hot air from the turbo and in particular the fan.

Just realised, I have missed out a breather kit/catch can. I take it that will be quite important? Or should I just weld a fitting onto the intake?

Not important, if you do go for one, only plump it as a filter between the exhaust cam cover and the intake. It shouldn't vent to atmosphere at this point as it'll lose the negative crank case pressure (and not to mention potential flash point should an external vent spit oil)

But as has already been said, it is funny what we class as modest, I'm aiming for something around the 550-600BHP mark and consider this incredibly tame, but when you think about what powere most 'fast' cars make, it really is quite a lot:d

550bhp is not tame, I'm not sure where you got that impression from! It's a serious amount of power and takes a fair amount of driver input to keep it inline. Many of the folks here that have *honestly* atained that power level are just the sort of folks that want to keep going for more as they are finding their limits not met (JP, Jev, Ryan, etc). While some of them might now consider 550-600hp "slow" there is an element of perspective required :)

Another vote for the RPS street clutch.

I've done about 10,000 on mine I think now and I am happy with it. I swapped the slave cylinder a while back to bring the biting point up a bit but in all honestly it wasn't bad before - I just prefer it a touch higher.

Not to worry Jamie, we can only give our opinion based on the experience we have had. Hopefully I can have a wee go in cars with both clutches to see what they are like.

Did Jules have a paddle clutch or was it a disc?

It was a paddle, and undrivable. Looked OK on removal, no plate run out, or odd wear patterns, but it was just like an on / off switch and juddered to boot. The new clutch drives fine, but sadly we will perhaps never know about its longevity.

550bhp is not tame, I'm not sure where you got that impression from! It's a serious amount of power and takes a fair amount of driver input to keep it inline. Many of the folks here that have *honestly* atained that power level are just the sort of folks that want to keep going for more as they are finding their limits not met (JP, Jev, Ryan, etc). While some of them might now consider 550-600hp "slow" there is an element of perspective required :)

This. I doubt there are many people on here who are capable of getting the best from a 550bhp car. In fact, I can only think of perhaps five members who are truly competent at that level.

Oh, and RPS steet clutch for me too, done around 40,000 miles on mine with a single turbo with no issues at all.

After exchanging a few PM with Darryl 'Homer' I decided to go with a Southbend clutch 'stage 2' I've had it 3-4 months now and I am very happy with it..! Once it was fitted I adjusted the pedals play which only took 15mins and I was good to go..! Feels 20% heavier then stock, just like they advertise..!

This. I doubt there are many people on here who are capable of getting the best from a 550bhp car. In fact, I can only think of perhaps five members who are truly competent at that level.

My main problem is I've spent too much time on Supraforums of late ;)

But there are quite a few 550bhp singles, but they start looking not so quick when you see 850+ singles, so in that respect, they are tame COMPARED to what has already been done.

Anyway after having driven and done trackdays in the old caterham that was running about 500BHP per tonne then most things feel tame on acceleration and I miss that.