The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

22 litle items items in 11 little packets from 10 different U.K. traders have been bought and paid for now for over a week, yet not one has arrived.

BOC's + Royal Snail = :shrug:

I am itching to get it polished up and fitted out with hoses, clips and a belt.

I can then focus on the transmission and bonnet.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for that Gareth, I didn't know the length of a standard Supra belt on a stock 5.5" crank pulley.

My car engine is running with a Gates belt K060775 to compensate for the 6.78" ATI crank pulley.

This pic shows the jig engine with a stock pulley packed out to as near 6.78" as can be bodged to calculate the belt length required and using tape to show the belt layout for the supercharger conversion. The ribs have been machined off the waterpump pulley, as the car engine has a Meziere electric water pump and the pulley is just an idler and will be just as happy running the other way on the back of the belt.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127950&d=1299519981

js800_sc33_011.jpg

Ordered the air filter, water/meth nozzles, distribution block and Gatorback belt. (again)

That's now 27 little items in 14 small packets from 13 different traders in U.K. Hong Kong and U.S.

My postman is going to be grumpy about all those packets in his satchel. ;)

The bits and pieces are arriving in dribs and drabs, except the 10" x 2" mop which is the item I want to play with next.

Incredibly, Fedex delivered the Aquamist nozzles from Howerton Engineering, California, U.S. in less than 24hrs of ordering, exceptional when compared to the 7 to 9 days for delivery of items posted first class recorded from within the U.K.

Two days of riding the 10" x 2" mop on the 1 hp 3 phase bench grinder, I say 'riding' because it's a beast, given the least excuse it will snatch whatever I am polishing from my hands, taking a chunk of flesh in the bargain and fling it across the workshop like a wild trebuchet!

Black bogeys were bad enough, but even though I am togged up like a germ warfare technician, I now get black wooly belly button fluff too. :(

Yesterday, one of these belly button bogeys floated up in the bath, it looked like a well used piece of Duraglit, which I suppose is what it really is anyway. :think:

The back wall of Bobs workshop is hanging with cotton fibres, it looks like a curtain of black candy floss!

Just the supercharger remains to be polished, but haven't yet found suitable conditioning discs to remove the rough cast surface.

js800_sc39_001.jpg

Two days of riding the 10" x 2" mop on the 1 hp 3 phase bench grinder, I say 'riding' because it's a beast, given the least excuse it will snatch whatever I am polishing from my hands, taking a chunk of flesh in the bargain and fling it across the workshop like a wild trebuchet!

Black bogeys were bad enough, but even though I am togged up like a germ warfare technician, I now get black wooly belly-button fluff too. :(

The back wall of Bobs workshop is hanging with cotton fibres, it looks like a curtain of black candy floss!

Just the supercharger remains to be polished, but haven't yet found suitable conditioning discs to remove the rough cast surface.

Nice try ;). We know what you've really been doing to get injuries like that.

You not going to tease us with some nice pictures of you "valiant" work? Or is it all going to be done in one stupendous unveiling?

Not planning to reduce the build thread to a look at my shiny bit, I seem to remember that discretion is the better part of 'valour'. ;)

I will post some pics tomorrow.

I have found a tool to use on the charger, but it won't get into the crooks and nannys, my polishing wouldn't win a contest, yet will be as shiny as I can get all this aluminium in the 3 days I have allocated for this sh!tty job, I can upgrade it as and when the less shiny bits annoy me.

I am more interested to be getting on with the transmission than fannying around with a duster.

I have discovered that the bypass valve butterfly is not happy. :(

I think the casting must have warped slightly from the heat and pull from TIG welding on the pipe.

It operates without sticking, yet does not completely seal when closed and I don't want to be loosing any of the hard earned boost.

Can this corrected by reaming the valve body?

Input please.

Come on then, the suns going down wheres the shiny stuff :)?

Here you go Dave, the Duraglit belly button fur balls have been declared over. :nana:

That's as shiny as 'valliant' gets for now. :cool:

Top tip!

Don't use an angle grinder anywhere near this Duraglit fluff, it goes up like a flash! :bang:

It caused a worrying few moments......

I have built the shiny bits back up with all the components I have, but still waiting for the Gatorback belt and K&N air filter to arrive.

attachment.php?attachmentid=128323&d=1300052407

attachment.php?attachmentid=128324&d=1300052407

attachment.php?attachmentid=128326&d=1300052407

attachment.php?attachmentid=128325&d=1300052407

attachment.php?attachmentid=128327&d=1300052407

attachment.php?attachmentid=128328&d=1300052464

attachment.php?attachmentid=128329&d=1300052464

attachment.php?attachmentid=128330&d=1300052464

attachment.php?attachmentid=128331&d=1300052464

js800_sc39_001.jpg

js800_sc39_005.jpg

js800_sc39_007.jpg