The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

The final fit is tinkered and no extra bobbin was needed. :)

The 19mm elbows have turned up, so fitted the hoses from the pre rads into the engine bay ready to connect to the charge-cooler, these are coiled up and cable tied to the rad. :innocent:

Another little wind-up job jobbed, even with the towing bracket gone and the power steering pipes 'persuaded' out of the way, it was antipodean gynaecological keyhole surgery and ended up with several lacerations from the ZunSport Grille clips. :cry:

Watch out for those things they are as sharp as razors. :scare:

I had my arm inside the panels wriggling the pipes through :idea:

and when fluid started dripping from underneath I thought I had broke a power steering pipe, :think:

then I took my arm out.... :badidea:

Fortunately, the war wound was not in vain. :rolleyes:

I didn't want to have to do that again. :eek:

Remaining jobs & stuff supercharger countdown list

10. Find an AEM or GReddy (1/8" NPT) 3 bar MAP sensor. :search:

9. Buy copper spark plugs, 10-50W engine oil, methanol and distilled water. :ok:

8. Relocate battery to back. (Odyssey Racing 30 and solar charge panel) :shock:

7. Fit and plumb HHO generators and pump in place of battery. :conf:

6. Fit and plumb water/meth tank at back. :confused:

5. Buy and fit Boost and EGT gauges.:wacko:

4. Fit a Heckler-made circuit-box and display for Manualised Hybrid gear selection and torque converter lock-up. :blink:

3. Sort out all of the electrickery. :looney:

2. Bulge the bonnet. :think:

1. Get and fit Adams' T.T. throttle and cruise cables. :thumbs:

BLAST ON The Supercharger. :bang:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are those "pre rads" available new from any aftermarket recon rad type people? Nice charge cooler rads, by the look of them. I can't see from the photos, are they cross flow with a pipe union one per end, or a divided header tank and both unions on the same end tank David? Cheers.

Chris,

These are OE Jag X300 cross-flow pre-rads mounted back-to-back on Supra rad-rubbers, with a few odds and sods tweaked about they fit in sweetly, yet it has been a challenge to incorporate them and keep the active spoiler.

I have plumbed them; charge-cooler hot to top rear, exit bottom rear to pump, pump to top front and bottom front exit cold back to charge cooler.

There's clear a pic of one on in post 1.

Using a top glove box lid, some plastic pipe fittings and No More Nails, I have knocked up a Blue Peter 6 x 52mm gauge pod.

It's not perfect, yet not too bad for a Mk1. :)

I will make an improved Mk2 when more important things are completed, it fits and functions and will do for now.

I have routed the cable for battery relocation and the tank level sensor wire for w/m system, inside the under car trunking and in through the wheel well grommet, the ends of both these and w/m pipe are coiled up inside and the w/m loom routed and fed.

:think: A couple of days of determined tinkering, yet not one thing crossed off the countdown list. :rolleyes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=132797&d=1305496162

attachment.php?attachmentid=132796&d=1305496162

Mk 1.JPG

tgb bits.JPG

Chris,

They are Jag X300 cross flow pre rads mounted back-to-back on Supra rad rubbers, they fit sweetly with a few odds and sods tweaked about, yet it has been a challenge to incorporate these and keep the active spoiler.

I have plumbed them; charge cooler hot to top rear, exit bottom rear to pump, pump to top front and bottom front exit cold back to charge cooler.

There is clear a pic of one on the first page.

Thanks David, they look a useful chargecooler rad!

"And they all rolled over and one fell out!" :wacko: Every job is creating two jobs more. :looney:

The Plan 'A' shelf bracket proved impracticable. :badidea:

Plan 'B', I need to relocate the battery to make space for the hydrogen generators, want to keep the spare wheel and keep the job 'tidy'. :thumbs:

:idea: My idea was to use multiple smaller batteries in the sub woofer divot, however, I have been told that amps are not cumulative so it wouldn't work! :(

There is to be a plastic tank for the w/m system in the near-side of the 'boot', which leaves the on-side, right at the back for a standard size battery. :confused:

Nevertheless, I am not keen with the idea of having 25kg hanging out the back. :no:

:sos: Does anyone have an answer for this Supraconundrum? :think:

:meeting: Input please.

My idea was to use multiple smaller batteries in the sub woofer divot, however, I have been told that amps are not cumulative so it wouldn't work! :(

Pretty sure that is incorrect. If the batteries are connected in parallel the amp hours are cumulative, the volts are not.

Methinks the resident boffin needs to go back to school, maybe he got confused over series and parallel battery systems.

Two or more batteries (of the same brand, size, Ah and voltage) will be cumulative in current if wired in PARALLEL. Voltage would be the that of an individual battery ie. 12V

If wired in SERIES then the voltage will be cumulative of the stated potential differences (depending on the internal resistance of each battery and other factors) and the maximum current draw would be the rated Ah of an individual battery.

I hold a degree in Electronic Engineering and I'm an Electrician (Domestic but have done Automotive) in case you may like some credentials to back up my statement.

kjgreen3,

Thank you for the good news. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

The last of the gauges have arrived, so I have plonked them into vacant holes.

The looms are all in except for the AEM boost and EGT which will get promoted from the 6er to the 4 gauge pod after the Heckler circuitry arrives and the dash has to come out to fit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=133285&d=1306263836

attachment.php?attachmentid=133286&d=1306263836

new  dash 002.JPG

new  dash 008.JPG

AEM

Air Fuel Ratio (data logging)

Boost pressure (data logging)

Exhaust Gas Temp (data logging)

Water/meth flow (data logging)

Stepper Motor

Engine oil pressure

Charge cooler water temp

Engine oil temp

Transmission fluid temp

Diff oil temp

Volts

Maintaining both air vents and without distracting pillar mounted gauges, I will be able to monitor much of what is going on and no digidoolallitals. :thumbs:

+ also, your page on you car (supra garage) is awesome! gratz on that! by the way... how the hell do you know all the mechanics? self taught ? or many many years of experience? daz.

Thank you for the kind words. :blush: Post a comment next time you visit.

I am a thoughtful balding tinkerer and enjoy a challenge, whatever I need to know, I learn.

i have 2 guages

boost and afr

and when your full beans looking at the road it is very hard to see them or to say it a better way brave enough to take my eyes off the road to have a propper look at them

i dont know how people manage to take them all in when there spattered all over the dash!

but at least yours are all over one side so might stand a chance

Edited by mellonman
didnt see pics (see edit history)