The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

That's the second scoop/cowl you have turned up Barney, nip out and lay a mould onto a Land Rover Puma bulge and I will accept your third offer. ;)

The transmission line feed pressure cable needed to be 185mm longer to reach the supercharger Lexus throttle body and one has been ordered from Speedograph Ritchfield, as soon as I have this cable, the transmission fluid and some 6mm nylon hose for the water/meth feed, the hybrid can go in. :)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without the cable, it looks like I won't be changing the transmission this weekend, so instead have made up the 2 x Jaguar X300 pre rads back-to-back into one unit, using Supra radiator rubbers to mount the pre rad legs to the bracket and the top mounts are Jag rubbers with sleeve spacers and body washers.

Will begin fitting these and the aluminium shelf for the HHO generators and 2 electric pumps.

It's going to be busy up front, maybe I need to look at extra ventilation options.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130346&d=1302713558

js800_sc45_002.jpg

I have been off line for the last 2 days, I downloaded IE8 but it lost text recognition?

This was surprisingly difficult to sort out, now using Google Chrome as the workaround.

The cable, oil and pipe have all turned up. :)

The Hybrid now has a longer cable and is built up ready to go in.

Plumbed in the water/meth system on the jig engine, but will need to adjust the position of distribution block to make room for the boost gauge sensor.

Back-on-schedule for the transmission and drive-line change tomorrow.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130592&d=1302981523

attachment.php?attachmentid=130593&d=1302981523

js800_sc46_001.jpg

js800_sc46_002.jpg

js800_sc46_003.jpg

The deed is done, the Hybrid A343/0E is in and working perfectly in both auto and manualised mode with the Suprastick. :friday:

Also fitted the 3.769 Torsen, T.T. auto prop, removed the unused fuel breather pipe and replaced it with the water/meth pipe. :)

The operation of this transmission is more positive and the N/A engine doesn't seem to mind the taller gearing.

Fitting N/A hydraulic control to the Hybrid seems to have raised the line pressure, I don't know by how much, but first chance I get, I will test it and see.

It needs a little 'respect' when moving from Park into Drive. :run:

It has a likeable character, that is keen to get going. ;)

Pausing in Reverse for a second 'tames' this and gives a stockish engagement. :thumbs:

Driven slow to moderate, the shifts are smooth as stock, yet when driven harder gives firmer auto shifts and faster manualised gear changes.

I am really chuffed with the creation of this Hybrid, this is the first time this has been achieved and also a crucial major component of the project. :burp:

Now the transmission related upgrades are completed, I can update the Suprastick programming with the changed diff ratio, tyre size, torque converter lock-up, shift speed, firmness and shift tables that best suit this unit.

It will be even better after that's done. :burp:

great news mate! glad to here things are coming together. one step closer to the goal! :)

That was one large and very important step closer and an achievement ranking equal to the supercharger conversion. :trophy:

Should my Hybrid hydraulic theory have proven wrong, it would have grounded the project.

It is 'curious' that this achievement may have been unrecognised by many and unnoticed by others?

Nevertheless, I am happy that this messy, smelly, oily, skatey antipodean job is jobbed.

This Hybrid unit with raised line-pressure, should be good for 600 ft lbs or more? and more than strong enough for the job. :thumbs:

Only the pre rads and alloy shelf to go in and the 'underneath' jobs are done, it should be steady stand up tinkering from there on in. :)

Good work :) How will you adjust/control the line pressure, is it manual or electronic?

Only 4 posts previous, there's a full size pic of the Hybrid wearing it's new Speedograph Ritchfield bespoke 185mm longer line-pressure control-cable. :think:

Maybe I am going too fast for you to keep up? ;)

I'm going to be the dumbass here and summarise for my own sake. Engine and supercharger are complete. The gearbox and flappy paddle shift are complete, except for some tinkering/programming.

Has the gearbox been tested on a running vehicle?

Is the next step mating the two and seeing what happens?

I'm going to be the dumbass here and summarise for my own sake. Engine and supercharger are complete. The gearbox and flappy paddle shift are complete, except for some tinkering/programming.

Has the gearbox been tested on a running vehicle?

Is the next step mating the two and seeing what happens?

The supercharger conversion is complete, yet sitting on the jig engine and untested.

The Hybrid flappy-paddle T.T. transmission is complete and fitted into the Supra being driven by the N/A lump, tested and working perfectly.

Next I will fit the pre rads, water/meth and HHO into the car, then I will be ready to transplant the supercharger conversion into the car.

I had planned to fit the pre rads today, but I've had to change the gearbox in a 240Z and build another Hybrid transmission for someone else. :shrug:

Now that other folk's gearboxes are sorted, I will fit them tomorrow and take some pics.

I haven't been posting many pics lately, because one gearbox looks much the same as another and I have been blathered in auto-trans fluid from earhole to arsehole and my camera would be bolloxed in a day.

The water in the charge cooler circuit is independent, with a swirl-pot header-tank behind the charge-cooler and circulated around the pre-rads with a Bosch 1,200 lph electric pump, there's a pic of it in post 24.

I'm not sure where it will be located yet, there's a lot of 'stuff' to stuff in the front, and I need to get the shelf in and the air con pipes out of the way, I can then shuffle these components around to find the best fit.

I have found homes for the charge-cooler pump on the chassis rail, the water/meth pump on the inner wing and the HHO water tank in place of the charcoal canister.

The pumps are both mounted on rubber bobbins, the tank nestles in the corner nicely and may get just a foam pad and a couple of cable ties?

The green water/meth pipe can barely be seen, but think I will sleeve it in black silicone to stop it rattling.

I had to make a tag to mount the Hybrid transmission T.T. dipstick onto the N/A manifold, yet it looks as though it belongs there. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=131859&d=1304354442

attachment.php?attachmentid=131860&d=1304354442

js800_sc48_002.jpg

js800_sc48_003.jpg

Today I thought to plumb in the pre rads and get the active spoiler back in, what a Supragarmi nucking fightmare! :looney:

The pre rads mounting bracket was in conflict with the active spoiler, both the engine and trans oil coolers were in the way, the horn was in the way, all 8 of the HID capacitors were in the way, the towing brackets were both in the way and the repositioned power steering cooler was in the way too.

I have modded the bottom mounting of the active spoiler to make room for the bracket, repositioned the power steering cooler and the horn and removed the towing brackets.

The pipework is now complete between pre rads and pump, :) but need another 90 elbow to finish the other side. :(

There was I thinking it was going to be a simple job for a change. :shrug:

I have added a third bobbin to the ERL w/m pump mounting and made a little bracket for the first of 2 ECU controlled valves in the system, the 40 amp relay is mounted on one of the tank bobbins and the loom has been gathered up in the corner.

All of the wires will end in a heap here then I will sort out all the electrickery together.

The w/m tank is to go in the back, this one is both reservoir and flame trap for the HHO system, it will be rattling with bubbles so I have isolated the mountings on 3 bobbins.

It took me all day to do this little job and it still requires a final fitting and maybe a fourth bobbin on the tank.

I am growing weary of making brackets, relocating and modifying anything and everything, to make components fit and work together.

That shiny 6 fingered fist sitting in the workshop will bolt on in a couple of hours, that's the job I would sooner be doing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=132450&d=1305103122

js800_sc49_001.jpg