The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

Don't worry Barney, i'm still tinkering along, other than the project, I have had other matters to attend to today.

Yet still found time I to visit the engineers and rattle their cage to get the blower planed, they have had it for nearly 2 weeks now, a bit long winded for such a small job.

They have promised it for tomorrow. :)

The pre 92 4Runner cap has arrived, this is better than expected, and will give around 20mm more room than the post 92 version I currently have.

This means I should now have around 30mm clearance to play with. :)

Whilst under the bonnet I have relocated the HKS DLI, to begin making room for the throttle body.

I have also been busy with the disc cutter, morphing the chargers' twin outlet into a single 90mm exit using the charge cooler off-cuts, but the final cutting cannot be finished until the charger is mounted.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123957&d=1291845114

js800_pre92cap_002.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mounting lugs plus a washer, is the datum for a nice parallel bottom.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123995&d=1291997639

When test fitting, the charger was hard up against the throttle body and on the wonk by around 10mm.

Yet even so, I am now up to an 18mm spacer and still have room to spare before making contact with the new cap. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=124004&d=1292000622

attachment.php?attachmentid=123996&d=1291997639

Now we're cooking with gas. :thumbs:

js800_sc7_004.jpg

js800_sc7_001.jpg

js800_sc7_002.jpg

The good news is; the engine is back in the rally car, which has freed up the engine stand for this project. :)

Now the dog can see the rabbit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124107&d=1292192899

The bad news is; halfway through cutting the steel for the mounting bracket, the brushes in the disc cutter gave up the ghost. :(

Six mm steel plate is hard work with a hacksaw, three mm aluminium is a lot easier, so cut the patches for the rocker covers which are now taped into place ready for welding.

I have also drilled, tapped and studded the bottom of the charger to regain a fixing at the rear and married this to the partly formed top plate.

js800_sc8_001.jpg

I have started to tinker with the throttle body, and it looks like there will be a lot of tinkering to be done here.

Picture show how tight the space and the position under the charger.

The mock-ups are with a reversed 65mm N/A t.b. but they make more sense when you see the picture of the 1990 Lexus 400 75mm throttle body, that is in the post to me.

The Supra cable ramps should be a straightish hybrid OE swopover, the Lexus t.b. does not have an idle control valve, but I can cut one out of an N/A t.b. and weld it onto induction pipe.

This will be a shoehorn job in every direction.

Picture of the mounting bracket so far, before the angle grinder ground to a halt, studs fitted for new rear mounts on charger and inverted induction connector elbow.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124159&d=1292353367

attachment.php?attachmentid=124160&d=1292353367

attachment.php?attachmentid=124161&d=1292353367

attachment.php?attachmentid=124162&d=1292353367

attachment.php?attachmentid=124163&d=1292353367

attachment.php?attachmentid=124164&d=1292353425

attachment.php?attachmentid=124165&d=1292353425

js800_sc9_001.jpg

js800_sc9_005.jpg

js800_sc9_006.jpg

js800_sc9_007.jpg

js800_sc9_009.jpg

js800_sc4_003.jpg

lexus tb.jpg

m4tt101 photo morphed this picture for me, so I have copied it into the thread.

Thank you :thumbs:

Positioned 2 or 3" further down the bonnet, lowered to the bodyline at the back, bonded on and blended in like the Tacoma bonnet in thumbnail.

It will look a beast of a supe with that scoop and go like greased lightening. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=124173&d=1292359700

sc10.jpg

js800_4runner_hood.jpg

:thumbs: Thank you for the encouragement, it's coming together nicely.

Everything is so tight, I need to reduce the external dimensions of each component and relocate bits and pieces to create space before I can even begin to see the final configuration.

Keron has found me a bonnet to play with and some rubbers to mount the X300 pre rads, the Lexus throttle body will be here tomorrow and I have ordered the bonnet scoop from the U.S.

I am collecting the pieces to shuffle around.

There are many little modifications to make to most components and having several things on the go at once means that when one job grinds to it's next technical pause, I can continue and progress with another

This start/stop progress gives me thinking time to plan the workarounds, because the best solutions are not always the first.

I am waiting delivery of a new angle grinder, then the pruning resumes. :eyebrows:

:thumbs: Thank you for the encouragement, it's coming together nicely.

Everything is so tight, I need to reduce the external dimensions of each component and relocate bits and pieces to create space before I can even begin to see the final configuration.

Keron has found me a bonnet to play with and some rubbers to mount the X300 pre rads, the Lexus throttle body will be here tomorrow and I have ordered the bonnet scoop from the U.S. I will soon have more of the pieces to shuffle around.

There are many little modifications to make to most components and having several things on the go at once means that when one job grinds to its next technical pause, I can continue and progress with another. This start/stop progress gives me thinking time to plan the workarounds, because the best solutions are not always the first...

Having watched a few N/A-supercharger build threads, I've come to the conclusion that the first line in the instructions should be "1) Find and fit a 1UZ-FE". :)

On a serious note, it does require considerable ingenuity and determination just to find the room, let alone actually mount and drive the blower.

Good luck! (Not that it's anything to do with luck, but "Good ingenuity and skill!" doesn't really work as an exhortation.)

'Ingenuity' I have sufficient, and the 'skills' that I don't have can be rented, however, the 'good luck' would come in handy with the weather, and any element involving the input of others.

I am itching to get on with the project, yet grounded until either the seller of the Lexus throttle body works up the enthusiasm to lick a stamp, or the elements allow me to work on the car without frostbite.

I conclude that 'determination' will be the most important quality.

Merry Christmas :friday:

I have been out playing with my new angle grinder. :)

The supercharger mounting plate gets a pruning and I have made a few modifications to get the induction elbow to go on up-side-down, but there are more mods needed yet to simplify the plumbing.

The 3 threaded holes in the block are not on a level plane, the pieces to fabricate a bottom mounting plate are in position and ready for welding.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124599&d=1293741810

attachment.php?attachmentid=124600&d=1293741810

js800_sc10_002.jpg

js800_sc10_006.jpg

I have used the same 3 holes on the other side of the block and used stainles thick walled tubeto make legs to get that part of my bracket at the angle i wanted.best way was to drill the hole out in the plate so the tube would go through.Get it at the angle you want and spot weld the tubes in place.You can then remove it and wled them underneath and cut off any tube on the face side.

Another thing to think of is dont take too much material away from the bracket as the charger will be under a fair bit of load,i had to actually add more supporting brackets to stop the main bracket flexing.

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)

Thanks for the input Barney.

I routled through the bits box and found 2 nuts that were 1 size to large for the stud, these are held in place in the hole in the 6mm plate and true to the face on the block using a 12mm nut, once welded on and given a makeover with my new angle grinder, it will be the same job done different.

The mounting bracket must be good, I have several ideas on how to fix to several bracing points, but until the throttle body arrives for me to build around, I am restricted to fabricating component parts in readiness.

I opened up the centre of the plate to ventilate the belly of the charger, there is steel to be added as it goes together, but it will need to be 'efficient' to allow room for the induction.

I tacked the next section of Corolla in place whilst the bracket was test fitted on the car engine, I have formed it with 5mm clearance to the fanimold.

The finished height may need to go up or down a 'little bit' ? and a lot of the steel will come out to make room for the throttle body but it is starting to look more like a bracket than a brake disc. :)

The back of the supercharger is only hanging on a tube spanner, but it is good to get to see a few of the pieces getting closer together.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124719&d=1293997756

attachment.php?attachmentid=124720&d=1293997756

attachment.php?attachmentid=124721&d=1293997756

attachment.php?attachmentid=124722&d=1293997756

attachment.php?attachmentid=124723&d=1293997756

attachment.php?attachmentid=124724&d=1293997807

attachment.php?attachmentid=124725&d=1293997807

js800_sc13_001.jpg

js800_sc13_003.jpg

js800_sc13_005.jpg

js800_sc13_006.jpg

js800_sc13_007.jpg

js800_sc13_008.jpg

js800_sc13_009.jpg

In this pic you can just see the 'foot' I have added at the bottom/back of the plate, to bear onto the machined 90o face that is common with the blocks, added diagonal bracings and cut the leg to a line to marry the supercharger mounting plate.

I declare the front mounting leg, an immovable object. :burp:

attachment.php?attachmentid=124802&d=

js800_sc14_016.jpg

The Lexus t.b. has at last turned up, it only took the vendor 23 days to work up the enthusiasm to lick a stamp!

The good news is; it will fit in a treat, in the on car mock-up pic, it is propped up on a pile of rags to somewhere near it's new home.

I am pleased with this find, as I hadn't actually seen one, just chose it from looking at pics of t.b's on the net.

Smaller on the outside, and larger on the inside, it will get smaller still as I prune off the parts I don't need.

Had another on-car test fitting and found that the bracket was too tight against the manifold and also needed the s.c. plate level raising by 10mm.

There is now plenty of clearance, and there will be a little more when the supercharger is not hard up against the existing N/A t.b.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124878&d=1294262999

attachment.php?attachmentid=124879&d=1294262999

attachment.php?attachmentid=124880&d=1294262999

js800_sc15_003.jpg

js800_sc15_007.jpg

js800_sc15_009.jpg

Been looking at pre-formed alloy bends to fab the induction, but at over £30 each and 3 needed, after paying to have it welded up would be around £200 for half a metre of pipe!

:think:

Have decided to fabricate the flanges from some scrap plate, use a piece of stainless pipe left over from the exhaust system mods and then form the complex bend with 76mm vacuum hose.

The pipe can then be welded in to become part of the bracketry.

Unorthodox and lots of filing, yet free.

js800_sc15_012.jpg

Supercharged na, in a different way = awesome, hybrid tranny? = even more awesomness!!

Cant wait to see this finished and to know its happening not to far from me is great, northamptons going to have a great set of supes on the road soon:D

Been looking at pre-formed alloy bends to fab the induction, but at over £30 each and 3 needed, after paying to have it welded up would be around £200 for half a metre of pipe!

:think:

Have decided to fabricate the flanges from some scrap plate, use a piece of stainless pipe left over from the exhaust system mods and then form the complex bend with 76mm vacuum hose.

The pipe can then be welded in to become part of the bracketry.

Unorthodox and lots of filing, yet free.

Looking good David and you have done well to overcome the clearance issue without all the fuss of extending the SC shaft which was the failing of my attempt. Dont forget I have that length of preformed ally pipe with the nice embossing, sure we can come to some arrangement.

Supercharged na, in a different way = awesome, hybrid tranny? = even more awesomness!!

Cant wait to see this finished and to know its happening not to far from me is great, northamptons going to have a great set of supes on the road soon:D

"Going to have"....... Already has!

Edited by Shane
typo (see edit history)

Kevin,

Cheers for the encouragement, :thumbs: there's a long way to go yet.

Shane,

I am confident with all aspects of the design, except maybe asking too much of a 6 rib belt?

Yet should that be so, it won't be difficult to upgrade to 8 rib pulleys.

Regarding your cast pipe; I still have a hankering to include that, but not sure where?

Next time I call to check out your coffee making skills, I will take a better look at it.

Maybe I can cut out the 'pretty piece' and have it welded onto the front of the charge cooler?

I spent this afternoon fabricating the induction plumbing and flanges.

It turned out that the steel I had found was not mild, but tempered.

It cut easily enough with a 1mm disc so hadn't noticed, yet boring the holes took ages.

The blade was old yet I was getting suspiscious, then when working it with a grinding disc it became obvious, especially when I set myself on fire with the 'cold sparks'!

Looking on the bright side, I can be confident that the flanges won't twist. :)

js800_on_fire_001.jpg

Good work !!

Try and keep the Throttle body as close to the charger intake as possible , and or use as large pipework as possible ,same with the filter to throttle body pipework .

Any vacuum at the intake of the charger as it sucks in air via TB and filter works against you , if say you have 2 psi vacuum at max RPM , then this is subtracted from the boost pressure .

too big a restriction in pipework or filter will cause a vacuum to be created , the charger also draws crankshaft torque to "make " the vacuum