The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'Monster' is assimilating nicely, :thumbs: all of the components are now firmly mounted, true and without spite or conflict. :)

My only concern is for the power steering and air con pulleys. :confused:

We shall see what happens when I bring the Monster to life. :eyebrows:

:faint: :scare: :scared: :tumble: :eek: :shock: :hide:

:rolleyes: Should they fail :badidea: :wasnotme: :fool:

:idea: I will go to plan B, :think: re-engineering the crank and charger pulleys running a seperate belt and tensioner.

Monday is to be another fabrication and TIG welding session, tidying up the inside of the cast/welded flanges, adding beads to the aerial pole bypass valve hose tails, finishing off the swirl pot and making a shelf for the HHO.

I shall be pleased that the black angle ground bogeys will finally be over. :yahoo:

There will then remain only the black aluminium polishing bogeys to endure. :eek:

I can tinker about with the final plumbing, fixing, wiring and cable arrangements as the bits and pieces turn up, but now need to get that donor N/A trans fetched from Portsmouth and begin work on the hybrid flappy paddle gearbox.

If there is someone travelling from Portsmouth to somewhere near Northamptonshire with room in the back for a Supra transmission, your assistance would be greatly appreciated. :hi:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Another day of cutting, grinding, filing, welding, then some more, etc.

Finished off a few aluminium details, before the TIG welder goes back tomorrow.

All alloy parts except the charger have had their first buff.

Other than a shopping list for a belt, plugs, hoses, clips, alloy cap, w/m jets, an air filter and 4 special Jaguar flexi-bolts for the exit plate.

It's ready to roll. :thumbs:

Everything sits together perfectly and it is very easy to fit.

At the end each session of working on the components I put it all back together, today the whole lot went on in 5 minutes.

This quart in a pint pot is cozy, yet all components are easy to get at.

I am really pleased with the job.

Photofest.

The recycled aerial pole gets a bead, whether it likes it or not

attachment.php?attachmentid=127643&d=1298937935

These hoses will not be blowing off, vac take off is for bypass valve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127652&d=1298938944

Pleased with my dinky swirl pot recycled from a rain water pipe and a chair leg.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127644&d=1298937935

Shows reach to clear insulated Autobahn88 headers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127645&d=1298937935

With all current fixtures and fittings

attachment.php?attachmentid=127646&d=1298937935

Unseen plumbing

attachment.php?attachmentid=127651&d=1298938672

I need to move the trans line pressure cable locator forward by 20mm to match the spacing on the N/A t.b.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127647&d=1298938611

The sharp end. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=127650&d=1298938611

Birds eye

attachment.php?attachmentid=127649&d=1298938611

The 'Monsters' fist.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127648&d=1298938611

Shelf for HHO generators made from recycled Supra front crash bar.

attachment.php?attachmentid=127642&d=1298937935

js800_sc35_002.jpg

js800_sc35_003.jpg

js800_sc35_006.jpg

js800_sc35_007.jpg

js800_sc35_008.jpg

js800_sc35_009.jpg

js800_sc35_012.jpg

js800_sc35_020.jpg

js800_sc35_024.jpg

js800_sc35_014.jpg

js800_sc35_005.jpg

Matey that looks bloody awesome, I really hope it all works out for you, really do wish I wasn't such a 'tard and could do that kind of stuff.

I'll second that ! Wow that looks so complex , wouldn't know where to start .

That's going to look "AWESOME"

Thank you for the positive comments. :thumbs:

This is the first time I have taken on a project like this, and it has involved researching many subjects that were unknown to me and I am learning a lot about many things along the way.

Yet when you break it down, it's pieces of metal held together with nuts and bolts, a bit of plumbing and a few wires.

I had a pulley made and the charger base planed, but the remainder of the work has been done by hand, more by imagination than measure and with basic tools, I borrowed some NPT taps, gained access to a hydraulic press and hired a TIG welder.

The charge cooler came from China and most else from the breakers.

It is an air pump, and as long as it is mounted securely, plumbed soundly and driven efficiently it will work.

I thought the layout simple, efficient, and maybe too cool even for the Super Cool Fridge. :)

I am looking forwards to seeing it in the car, the jig engine only tells half the tale.

The spark plugs are easier to get at with this set up compared to a stock N/A, the charge cooler comes off in 2 minutes.

Except for moving the cable mount, fabrication is complete and my priorities now turn to building the transmission hybrid which must be installed and tested before the supercharger can go on.

With a growing collection of minor cuts, clunks and abrasions, several minor burns, constant oily black metal dust various, and degrimed with Fairy 3 times a day, my hands are getting into a right mess and I am growing weary of gritty black bogeys, and gritty black everything else too, so pleased to have a break from it, when the polishing mops turn up I will get steamed in again.

I plan to go and fetch the N/A transmission from Portsmouth next week, in the meanwhile I just go and visit it now and then to add the latest silicone hose or stainless clip etc.

Just been having a hose clip hunting session on ebay, why do they seem to make hose T clamps in sizes that are exactly just too large or small?

I hope that most of them fit, because I have a growing collection of oddly sized clamps.

I ended up ordering clips from all over, so the postman will be bringing lots of packets of little trinkets to go on.

Some of the sizes of T clamps I require are out of stock everywhere I have tried and the suppliers are not ordering any more until they have sold more of their stocks of odd sizes!

I spent 2 hours in the Jag main dealers trying to order 4 special flexi-bolts to secure the charger exit flange, where after the first hour, I was informed that I would have to buy a complete supercharger because the bolts are not sold seperately!

After I kicked up and had this idiot removed from sight, the next chap thought he had it sorted after another hour of pressing buttons, but today 4 rubber washers turned up, apparently Jaguar have renumbered the items, but forgot to inform anyone!

Similar results so far with my efforts to buy a 102" Goodyear Gatorback belt, the European Distributor refuses to deal with me direct but I haven't yet found anyone capable of ordering one!

It's no wonder this country is in such a state!

Cheers Barney,

The best I found on ebay U.S. was $24 for the belt and $64 for the shipping!

I eventually managed to get the details of a local dealer from the main distributor and the belt is on it's way.

It appears that Goodyear distribution is about as organised as a pi$$ up in a brewery!

The supercharger exit flange isolator bolts that Jaguar wanted to charge £1000 each for have turned up.

Rocker cover bolts, £5.68 for 4.

The T clamps have arrived and as I suspected they are not the sizes claimed, these things must be made by a Chinaman with a rule that has couple of mm worn off the end and marketed by 'Herberts' who have never used them.

sc36 001.jpg

Cheers Barney,

The best I found on ebay U.S. was $24 for the belt and $64 for the shipping!

I eventually managed to get the details of a local dealer from the main distributor and the belt is on it's way.

It appears that Goodyear distribution is about as organised as a pi$$ up in a brewery!

Have you tried Bearing boys in Kent? Looking good by the way

Most of the odds and sods to finish it off are on their way, belt, conditioning wheels, mops, metal polish, hoses and clamps.

I'm growing tired of collecting bastard sized T clamps, I have had one last try (third attempt) to get the required sizes, if these don't fit it will get stainless jubilees.

The only parts remaining to order are an air filter, the nozzles for the water/meth and some insulation for the induction pipe.

I have had a measure up and it looks like that U.S. hood scoop is not wide enough for the job, so planning to cut the existing bonnet and weld in some fillets to form a bulge and vent.

I won't be going back to BOC for a TIG welder though, it took a 2 hour visit to order it, another 2 hour visit to collect it and yet another 2 hour visit to return it.

No technical knowledge whatsoever was known by the staff who haven't even aspired to incompetence.

The argon bottle supplied was found to be almost empty, the 250amp welder would only go 100mm before cutting out then needed 15 mins to cool down, the tips supplied were all too small and because I opened the bits box to look for a larger tip they charged £7 + VAT plus £19.72 + VAT for customer collection, and insisted on 2 months bottle hire for one weeks use because the return date was the first day of the next month.

BOC is without doubt, an abbreviation for Bunch Of Cu**s

This part of the project is now done bar the dusting and I have ordered the Toyota parts needed for the transmission hybrid.

Bob has to drop a car off at Southampton next week sometime and I will tag along and pick up the donor N/A trans from Portsmouth.

I need to get the T.T.-N/A manualised trans hybrid built, fitted and tested before I fit the charger conversion because the stock N/A trans won't survive a WOT session on the rollers.

Suprapod is close to home and is one of the events I will attend, hope it doesn't get washed out again.

I may even go to the Stickweeds Park cock up for the saturday.

Fitted the Jag isolator bolts, the originals were 8mm yet these have 10mm heads, and I needed to grind a couple of mm off of a couple of welds to get both them and a 1/4" drive socket in.

Removed and repositioned the transmission cable locator which is easier to say than it was to do.

Fitted max length high tensile broad shouldered bolts to the supercharger bracket and repainted it, then fitted breather hosetails to throttle body.

I stood back to admire my work and noticed that there is a crack in a weld on the rocker cover, this was the most difficult to work, the casting is only 3mm and porous and oil has got into the metal.

I will sort that when it comes off to be polished.

Still measuring up and thinking about the bonnet, it looks to be 1/2" short of space, a 1" lift would clear the core with 1/2" to spare, I will need to fit the cooler to the car engine before deciding where to cut.

FAI, the Goodyear importer distributors who wouldn't deal will me, gave me details of their local distributor.

I placed the order for a Gatorback 4061020 with the Local Company, yet it now turns out that FAI don't have any in stock, don't know when their next shipment will arrive and don't know if there will be one included when it does!

Maybe FIA is part of the BOC group of companies ? ;)

Found one on ebay U.S. for £8.53 :)