Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt,

Your offer of a cable is kind and I accept, thank you. :thumbs:

Yesterday, the all bells & whistles gizmo Mk III arrived.

With the gear display lights up & running I can then finish tweaking the Suprastick. :)

I went straight out and reconnected the 5 wires using a pic of the first installation as reference.

However, whilst laying in the foot-well I didn’t notice I was viewing the zoomed-in shot upside-down and the result was I connected the Suprastick ECU link wires the wrong way up.

&*!!*(#$

Consequently, with gizmo rewired correctly - 2nd and OD lights are permanently on.

Subsequently, I have also found that 3rd and O.D. have become neutrals with the Suprastick ECU.

Double &*!!*(#$

I have removed the Suprastick and linked the O.E. wires, the T.T. Hybrid transmission is being controlled using the N/A ECU for now.

Simon, I’m sorry for killing the perfected gizmo at birth and have returned it for inspection.

I need to get the Suprastick back to the U.S. for repair too.

A “should have gone to Specsavers” wind-up. :(

Edited by David P (see edit history)

some great work there mate. I started reading last night and skimmed over the last few pages today.

one thing i have noticed and im not sure if it has been covered already ....... the belt driving the supercharger, where it goes around the water pump it will be turning the water pump the wrong way will it not ? Obviously this will cause you issues.

Just thought i would point it out to you mate before you cook the engine.

I've got a feeling David is running an electric water pump and the pulley that originally drove the impeller is there just to give belt wrap?

Yes i did wonder that as i think i seen he had a electric pump on the engine. But im guessing he is going back to manual pump as im not sure how else he can send teh belt over to the supercharger?

as in picture here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=128475&d=1300312596

Im sure david will be along soon to fill us in.

Ps, if there is a electric pump for sale im looking for one at the moment ;)

This has been covered twice before in the thread, but especially for you. ;)

The car engine has a Meziere water pump and it's pulley is just an idler.

I plan to machine the ribs off the Meziere pulley so it will become an idler on the back of the belt which routes the belt clear of the induction and improves wrap on the supercharger pulley.

I am still tinkering with the pulley support bearing, it's not as simple as it looks. :think:

Yesterday the Mk III adaptor failed to run 'true' enough to use.

It's beginning to look as though I will need to use a floating bearing to give support and allow for minor misalignment.

Good news is; Keron has turned up an N/A t.b. :)

Self aligning bearing like is used on kart rear axles in an alloy plate slotted for the bearing plate bolts in one axis, and slotted in the other axis where the plate mounts to, er, well, whatever it mounts to :) Without digitising it all you would have to be both a good measurer with good measuring stuff, and also a good machinist to get it right with no adjustment needed or available. Watch the max RPM limit on self aligners, some are modest.

Getting close now!

Couple of things worth consideration:

fit 2 boost guages , one as normal to check boost at high rpm - if increases then engine is being choked .

One to intake side to check vacuum - if too high the intake/ throttle needs looking at

and keep max rpm in check as the charger adds a considerable load to the nose of the crank -

lastly the fuel enrichment with throttle closed to wide open - a blip of fuel needed .Or HHO?

This is the bearing I have found, it has more than sufficient max rpm, will fit the steel Supra idler pulley and is compatible with my current adaptor design. :)

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/1203_ETN9C3_SKF_Self_Aligning_Bearing-3276-p

Adjustment will be possible with shims on the bracket. :thumbs:

I have a mechanical vacuum gauge that can be connected to a spare take-off on the t.b. for monitoring negative induction pressure, which I would hope will be A O.K. because there is not space to do much different/better than; 6" to 4" rammed and insulated cold air feed, the largest 4" fed K&N air filter that will fit, (9" x 6") rammed into a 72mm throttle body then through a 73mm ID induction pipe with a sexy bend and 10mm of insulation. :think:

Nissan Q45 75mm t.b. and 85mm induction are both doable, but would require a major redesign, so let's hope not.

Rev limit is to remain 6,800 stock.

Other than fabricating a water/flame trap, the HHO is ready to go in, yet I'm leaving this out of the equation for now to allow more space to work on other elements.

I also need to have all the electrickery in the busy corner sorted and finalised to a plug&play, N/A to supercharger swap-over conversion fit, before final fitting the header/bubbler tank with level sensor and anti-freeze heater element.

There are four HHO 'gismo's' to go somewhere yet, I think the bottom glove box will need to internally become a gismo pod. :think:

• 3 weeks later...

:nana: The Hecklertronics MkIV have arrived. :)

:think: Guess what.

:eek: I wired it in the right way up this time and it works a treat. ;)

:whistle: No doubt just as well as the MkIII would have done if I hadn't fried it. :innocent:

Thank you Simon for your patience and generosity, I look forwards to those beers. :friday:

Presently I am running it with the OE ECU and the lights are teaching me many things about how to program gear change sequences and TC lock-up,

they also show TPS and gear-selected influence over TC lock-up.

:confused: This knowledge will be valuable for programming the Suprastick when it gets back. :search:

Other than being too bright it is perfect. :ok:

:rolleyes: The PAS pulley adaptor MkIV was also found to be on the wonk. :limp:

:shrug: To move this along and be kind to 'Prince Albert', :idea: I prepared a drawing and forwarded it to a recommended engineer. :thumbs:

:badidea: Who then went on a fortnights holiday the day after he received it. :blink:

:fool: That was a week ago, so looking at maybe another fortnight wait yet. :looney: