Marc's Facelift Aerotop TT6 Project

marc_p

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok continuing on from where I left off:

The engine was pieced back together:

But I had a few issues and needed some fabrication work done, first up was that the oil drain hit the manifold:

I also had the intercooler pipe hitting the front anti roll bar and I decided that I wanted the wastegates plumbed back into the down pipe, so it was booked in at a local fabricators.

In the mean time, it was time to paint everything up and get new camber bolts, nuts, washers, etc, polybush it all and fit the new UK spec brakes, I'll let the pics do the talking:

Then disaster struck, my wheels wouldn't clear UK brakes, so I bought some OEM 17's just in time for the car to be taken for its fabrication work:

The car then came back and all was good, it was pieced back together and booked in with the hope of it being back for dragonball 2014:

The car wasn't back in time, but I did get back a car that ran, unfortunately though, it was on a base map with the limiter set at 4k, this was due to a few issues that the mapper picked up and gave me a good 'to-do' list, so I drove it around for a week or two enjoying being back in a Supra:

But the joy was short lived as I wanted to crack on with all the other jobs I needed to do plus the list that my mapper gave me, so back into the garage it went and the first job was to sort out the mess of wiring from a previous alarm install and sound proof it:

Then it was time to strip the tear down and get that all refreshed, painted, polybushed and again install new bolts, nuts and washers, so once again I'll let the pics do the talking:

That brings me pretty much up to date, these two items arrived yesterday for me, AEMs very latest fuel pump, will run 850whp boosted, on a single pump and the Ultra Racing centre brace, the stock one is terrible, I can actually bend it with my hands!!!

Next things is to get the tracking done before DB, then I need to install my new clutch, uprate the fuel lines, get data logging enabled on the Motec, change the lamba set up so it goes direct to ECU and the AEM AFR runs off a separate Wideband sensor, then it's ready for mapping once again!!

Thanks for the comments guys, it's getting there!:D

Looks great Marc :) What are you undersealing it with?

I start with just plain old waxoyl, putting it eveywhere and in all the cavities etc, then I apply a coat of the hammerite underbody protection, then a final couple of coats of just regular satin black paint. In the arches I put a coat a coat of laquer on top aswell, which looks great, but will probably chip off quite quick, so didn't bother doing it on the underside, if it lasts in the arches though, I may consider doing the underside aswell.

this car is like new from underneath :)

Thanks, that's what I was going for, don't want it blingy underneath as this causes paranoia:D, just want it to be a fresh and clean car. Sadly whilst all this has been taking place, the bodywork has taken it's toll, so has a bit of a ratty look on the outside at the moment :D, I will be getting the respray at some point, but that will be the final job as I would be too nervous working on it with immaculate paintwork.

Thanks, that's what I was going for, don't want it blingy underneath...

All these years Marc, I had you down as a bling bling roof down chain dangling kind of guy... especially when you had the 5 series :D

Great updates!

i think ill have a go at doing the same, do you just spray hammerite on most of the parts? I've seen you a few times at squires, this sounds amazing.

To be honest, the Hammerite Underbody seal with Waxoyl in it is a pretty good all in one as it sets a bit firmer than normal Waxoyl, but still good for the rust inhabitors. I just like to top it off with the Satin black paint to give it a more even looking finish.

All these years Marc, I had you down as a bling bling roof down chain dangling kind of guy... especially when you had the 5 series :D

Great updates!

Ah, my days of pimpin' are over, I can tell you pimpin' ain't easy! Plus, I move in with the girlfreind in a week and don't think she would take too kindly to the girls coming to drop off the money throughout the night :D

Ah, my days of pimpin' are over, I can tell you pimpin' ain't easy! Plus, I move in with the girlfreind in a week and don't think she would take too kindly to the girls coming to drop off the money throughout the night :D

Time to change the avatar my friend :D

• 1 year later...

So, first off, I would like to thank everyone who organised and went on Dragonball for giving me some drive to get the car sorted, I was off to break it, but really want it done now, so a quick update:

The car is not doing too well, it currently won't start due to possible water damage somewhere(the roof was off and it got VERY wet inside), could be the ECU, but I don't know.

I also just learnt that AFR took some shortcuts on a couple of bits that now need rectifying(i.e. they hacked the original N/A loom instead of replacing it with the TT loom that was supposed to have been fitted), also the place where I took it for some fabrication work not only didn't do some of the work I needed, they have possibly cross threaded a manifold stud or two.

So I have sent Lee a message to get on his waiting list, essentially, to fix the problems and just get it how it was supposed to be over a year ago, I'm going to leave it with him to just sort it and get back something that is just ready to drive, whatever it needs really, I'll just have to delay that R8 purchase a little.