The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My hammerite diy respray

evinX

Lol, im open to any comments, people need to say what they want good or bad, its all ok and welcome:)

but thanks:)

Well at first I thought it was a very bad idea but the results you are getting look pretty cool, I like, and really want to see the finished project.

How long do you think it's going to take?

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at first I thought it was a very bad idea but the results you are getting look pretty cool, I like, and really want to see the finished project.

How long do you think it's going to take?

Another 2 weeks im guessing, waiting on my gazebo to come, had to pay by cheque to!! and then to re assemble the car

Great job evin gotta hand it to you but I wish I read this thread last week as i'v just painted the interior dash of my supra satin black not hammerite satin black! Theres already scratches on it:(. How much do you think the whole paint project will have set you back when it's finished?

Great job evin gotta hand it to you but I wish I read this thread last week as i'v just painted the interior dash of my supra satin black not hammerite satin black! Theres already scratches on it:(. How much do you think the whole paint project will have set you back when it's finished?

Normal spray can paint? would do as theres no clear coat on it which makes paint tough, try to find some satin or matt clear lacquer in spray cans:)

Normal spray can paint? would do as theres no clear coat on it which makes paint tough, try to find some satin or matt clear lacquer in spray cans:)

I can't laquer now as it's all back in the car but if I do take it out again I think i'll colour again as it's not going to be too difficult now all that stupid rubber stuff is gone.

500 is a great price for a full respray. i'm lovin' the matt look it really makes the car look mean esspecially as it's a Supra :eyebrows:

Hope it all goes well for you, but I still think your mad.

I'm not a big fan of the matt black supra even the pic of how you want it to look does nothing for me.

Loving the effort your putting into it I take my imaginary hat off to you.

Thank you:D

Be interested to see how it turns out, looks good and I know exactly how much prep goes into it! The Gazebo idea is a good one. Get some ventilation though, assuming it has sides.

Here is mine after Friday/Saturday. Just need to do re-do the tailgate as my impatience got the better of me and it pickled.

Didnt use aerosols, in the end I borrowed a mate's barn, borrowed a compressor, bought a new gun @£12 and spent around £80 on paint. It's not brilliant, but I am pleased with results.

Ah it was yours I saw at the Pod, looked very good.

I liked the plate too.

Cheers, am pretty pleased considering the small outlay, although it was a lot of work and still have some more to "re" do.

Wont be using the plates too much for the road as dont want to run the risk of getting pulled all the time.

Sorry to hijack the thread Evinx.

Masked up and ready for the gazebo!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs253.snc4/39997_1571904734489_1141640031_3247874_229252_n.jpg

Put a box in the boot as water kept building up and sinking the masking

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs133.ash2/39997_1571904814491_1141640031_3247876_7390234_n.jpg

Be interested to see how it turns out, looks good and I know exactly how much prep goes into it! The Gazebo idea is a good one. Get some ventilation though, assuming it has sides.

Here is mine after Friday/Saturday. Just need to do re-do the tailgate as my impatience got the better of me and it pickled.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/shaneg7ewl/IMG00403-20100817-0652.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/shaneg7ewl/IMG00402-20100817-0651.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/shaneg7ewl/IMG00395-20100814-1152.jpg

Didnt use aerosols, in the end I borrowed a mate's barn, borrowed a compressor, bought a new gun @£12 and spent around £80 on paint. It's not brilliant, but I am pleased with results.

you were parked 2 cars down from mine me and a couple of mates were looking at it. it was a nice job unusual but looked good man!

you were parked 2 cars down from mine me and a couple of mates were looking at it. it was a nice job unusual but looked good man!

Thanks mate, looks good apart from the boot, really miffed that I didnt leave it as it was almost perfect. Just a couple of small blemishes and I decided to rub them back on saturday morning and give it another pass with the gun and it pickled something chronic. At least it was contained just to the boot so shouldnt take too long to put right. Going to tackle the wheels next, I was going to go hi gloss black, but then I saw some rims on Sunday at Rockingham which had been given the camo treatment and that got me thinking.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

Saturday morning would have been cold, dont paint in the cold and lay it heavy as it will crinkle up

Yeah maybe it didnt help, but it was cold all day on Friday too. The paint from Friday was still soft and when the next coat went down on Saturday I think the second coat affected the first. Will be fine once i get chance to sort it out.