The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My hammerite diy respray

evinX

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its never going to be as good as if it was done professionally but fair play for having a go.

Would strongly recommend you getting a gun though not usung the cans.

I dont get why people cant understand that using a gun isnt going to be great with hammerite, its thick and needs to be thinned to go through a gun which will make it loose its rust protection qualities, and i want it to keep that, with satin black theres not going to be much difference between a gun finish and spray can finish. Really, alot of people who have seen the finished parts like the bumper, sides and bonnet didnt even imagine they were done with cans:D

You guys work in pro bodyshops, i dont know wether you guys are being funny or nice, do you guys really like what im doing? or cheering me on in hope that i fail?:D:p

I dont work in a bodyshop and I dont have a lot of money, I have been watching this thread with a touch of "go on my son" sort of attitude. It is inspiring me and I guess a few other to do something similar.

There is a saying, "It is not the fear of failure but the fear of not knowing that stops us from suceeding". You are helping us by what you are doing. Keep it up you are not failing

I dont work in a bodyshop and I dont have a lot of money, I have been watching this thread with a touch of "go on my son" sort of attitude. It is inspiring me and I guess a few other to do something similar.

There is a saying, "It is not the fear of failure but the fear of not knowing that stops us from suceeding". You are helping us by what you are doing. Keep it up you are not failing

Thanks man :thumbs:

i cant wait to see how this turns out. i have been thinking of colour changes for a while now and even looked at vinyl wrapping. thing i like about the hammerite black is its not like other satins which i think look more gray then black. would really be interested in having this done on my supra. though i think i might do it using my compressor and spray gun. i totally agree with what you say about it needing thinning down but surely if they do it in a spray can anyway then that has to be thined down somehow. hats off to you though fella, opened another window of opotunities

i cant wait to see how this turns out. i have been thinking of colour changes for a while now and even looked at vinyl wrapping. thing i like about the hammerite black is its not like other satins which i think look more gray then black. would really be interested in having this done on my supra. though i think i might do it using my compressor and spray gun. i totally agree with what you say about it needing thinning down but surely if they do it in a spray can anyway then that has to be thined down somehow. hats off to you though fella, opened another window of opotunities

True but it must be a different formula as its thinner but still has rust protection properties

Painted the boot jamb today so i can refit the lid and get on with the body

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs141.ash2/40404_1573182006420_1141640031_3251323_308337_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs147.ash2/40677_1573182166424_1141640031_3251324_6460232_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs147.ash2/40677_1573182206425_1141640031_3251325_311795_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs307.snc4/40677_1573182246426_1141640031_3251326_806281_n.jpg

the neighbour on the other side, well i painted his car for him, and theyre really nice, its no probs for them. but i know overspray is a problem, so that reason added to getting a gazebo...not a dust mark on anything around the supra...

Looking forward to see the outcome mate, I resprayed half of my del sol, and I did the front of my Do-Luck with a can... after applying lacker it looked fine :)

The bonnet I had primed in black and then an overlay of Hammered affect hammerite black.. gives is a cool look, the photo doesnt do it justice

attachment.php?attachmentid=115530&stc=1&d=1282161204

attachment.php?attachmentid=115531&stc=1&d=1282161514

25.JPG

Supe.jpg

You guys work in pro bodyshops, i dont know wether you guys are being funny or nice, do you guys really like what im doing? or cheering me on in hope that i fail?:D:p

no i want you to do well dude, gives people a chance of giving things a go. obviously you not working in recommended conditions and some imperfections will show up in the paint work, but fingers crossed for you.

keep at it ;)