The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My hammerite diy respray

evinX

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on your side mate - tried something similar with mine but have to tell you that i got annoyed with it and am currently and painstakingly taking all the paint off!! i hope yours turns out beter than mine did! good luck.

What were your thoughts about owning a matt black car?

It was good - and looked really nice and turned a lot of heads...presumebly for the right reasons, however after a week it got ridiculously dirty and it is very hard to keep clean...specially if you end up with bird crap on it - strangely the birds seemed drawn to my fresh paint job!

It was good - and looked really nice and turned a lot of heads...presumebly for the right reasons, however after a week it got ridiculously dirty and it is very hard to keep clean...specially if you end up with bird crap on it - strangely the birds seemed drawn to my fresh paint job!

What kind of paint did you use? and did your try a chamois cloth? it really works well on my satin paint to get rid of mineral spots and dirt

not much to add dudes and dudets, whole car is in primer and guide coat, except for the rear bumper and spats, just finishing those, my bootlid is under the shed outside having the underside painted as it got some damage!!!!! need to refit that and crack on with some hammerite! but all in all were good so far, going to get some windows from keron tomorrow to:D

Well, shes nearly ready for the paint, had rust coming through previously on the apillar and sills, so sanded the primer back to bare metal and applied red oxide to seal it from any more rust, the rear spats, fitted last year, wernt done properly, so widened them and got the surface lines/seams back, will complete that tomorrow, refit the boot lid, smooth it all down and lay some hammerite on it:D

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled4.jpg

I painted my KE70 with the hammerite silver and the paint job looks awful compared to my supra which I painted using proper ppg paint. I used a paint gun with the hammerite because the only good thing about this paint is that it's cheap and prevents rust well. Buying this stuff in spray cans seems stupid to me but what do I know. :D

It cost me £20 to paint my car with the hammerite so it's quite cheap if a paint gun is used. Using spray cans will cost about ten times as much. :)

dx3.jpg

I painted my KE70 with the hammerite silver and the paint job looks awful compared to my supra which I painted using proper ppg paint. I used a paint gun with the hammerite because the only good thing about this paint is that it's cheap and prevents rust well. Buying this stuff in spray cans seems stupid to me but what do I know. :D

It cost me £20 to paint my car with the hammerite so it's quite cheap if a paint gun is used. Using spray cans will cost about ten times as much. :)

Yea yours does look pretty bubbled on the bonnet/wings, but i wouldnt paint a car in hammerite silver, hammerite satin black is ok becuase the finish is like 2pk paint, silver hammerite wont come out like 199 silver in 2pk will it:D

Yea yours does look pretty bubbled on the bonnet/wings, but i wouldnt paint a car in hammerite silver, hammerite satin black is ok becuase the finish is like 2pk paint, silver hammerite wont come out like 199 silver in 2pk will it:D

Its actually nothing like a 2K finish at all, more like cellulose.