Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

KevA has just left mine after a momouth engine bay painting session, and I have to say his work is first class. After the final coat of laquer went on I could see my reflection in the paint. Weather conditions against us and with my garage being so small the paint isn't far away from perfection. I can't recomend him enough for painting.

When we went in the garage to start there was snow on the ground and it was cold. We can out after a couple of hours for a break and we couldn't get the garage door open cos the snow had drifted up the door. We must have atleast 8 inches of snow but we soldiered on, and am I pleased we did. I'll get some pics up soon.

Here we go folks.

We went in the garage at about 1pm. spent about 3hrs in there to get the 1st few coats of paint on then decided to take a break as so the paint didnt go on 2 thick and sag.

Things proved to be abit difficult opening the garage door to get out, seems the 3 hours we were in there there was atleast 8 inches of snow had fell and drifted up the garage door blocking the door. Eventually we managed to get the door open to find this, Consett's version of Narnia.

after putting some more paint on we left it an hour before the laquer went on. after quite a few coats of laquer it was left over night to harden.

heres a few just after the laquer had gone on, while it was still wet.

And now some from this morning. As you can see there has been no alteration in the gloss of the paint/laquer. It still looks wet but it rock hard, and smooth as hell.

Shiny shiny :D

As John said,

The elements were against us and I was unsure how well the paint would go on being so cold.

Made the hike up there and unpacked all of my gear, the prep work John had done was a credit to him, after a short inspection, the primed surface needed no further work so I proceeded with applying the paint.

As you can see this was no warm day in Consett (Having said that being right on top of the hill it never is :p )

John had the luxury of a couple of oil heaters and a very small but equally powerful wall mounted heater, we set these away in an atempt to keep the ambient temperature in the garage a bit warmer than it would have been.

I then started painting, a couple of dry coats first to make a key, followed shortly after by a a couple of thicker coats.

Slowy but surely I built up a good base colour in the bay.

I had one more coat to apply and we'd been going at it for a good while by this time so it was decided that a break was in order to give both the paint a chance to dry and settle and for us to refuel, with coffee!

We left the heaters on, opened the garage door, and well, as you can see from Johns pics there had apparently been a blizzard outside turning his street into a winter wonderland!

After battling against the snow drift against the garage door we got out and headed inside.

After a coffee we headed back in, after a quick inspection and rectifying a couple of minor imperfections (namely a small run on one of the strut towers) I proceeded to bury the engine bay under it's final base coat.

Before applying lacquer (2k 2 pack) I decided to warm the metal up a little with my heat gun, taking my time and being careful not to go overboard I went round and slowly warmed the whole thing up.

Mixed the 1st batch of lacquer then got straight to spraying, I couldn't stop John admiring his reflection in the 1st couple of coats, I think he would have been almost happy if I'd left it at that! lol!

It didn't take long before the gun was empty once again, the bay had a good few coats on it by this time, so we once again decided on a coffee break (this time with mini rolls!)

Left it around half an hour before re-entering the garage and things were looking very good, me and John both had a good snoop round the bay to see if there were any areas that were thin, there were 1 or 2 small parts (Mainly tucked under the bar at the front) which were a little thin, I noted this and then proceeded with mixing the next batch of lacquer.

Once again I buried the bay in clearcoat, we had very little product left over and the engine bay had more than it's fair share of coating so we started packing up.

It was a battle and a half to get out of consett, I approached most of the roundabouts sideways in my van! Got home in the end though!

All in all I feel it was a very productive day!

John was happy and he even assisted, I brought an extra mask for him so he could be in the garage whilst I painted, he was on hand to lift the brake pipes etc. too.

Once again, cheers for the coffee and cakes and tell Paula I'm sorry I couldn't stay for curry mate! :)

Sorry for the long writeup, I just thought I'd give people an insight to we did yesterday.

Kev

Edited by Kev_A (see edit history)

It looks much better dried than wet believe it or not. Now hurry up and get that scuttle panel painted so I can put it on lol.:p

Next job is to solder the fusebox harness into the main engine bay harness. Not looking forward to that 1 but hey ho lol.

well I guess that says it all. WELL apart from you have a sandwich and mini rolls not just mini rolls im not stindgy you know;)

I really appreciate all the help kev, Thanks again. I couldnt find and overspray anywhere either. Top Job mate.

As John said,

The elements were against us and I was unsure how well the paint would go on being so cold.

Made the hike up there and unpacked all of my gear, the prep work John had done was a credit to him, after a short inspection, the primed surface needed no further work so I proceeded with applying the paint.

As you can see this was no warm day in Consett (Having said that being right on top of the hill it never is :p )

John had the luxury of a couple of oil heaters and a very small but equally powerful wall mounted heater, we set these away in an atempt to keep the ambient temperature in the garage a bit warmer than it would have been.

I then started painting, a couple of dry coats first to make a key, followed shortly after by a a couple of thicker coats.

Slowy but surely I built up a good base colour in the bay.

I had one more coat to apply and we'd been going at it for a good while by this time so it was decided that a break was in order to give both the paint a chance to dry and settle and for us to refuel, with coffee!

We left the heaters on, opened the garage door, and well, as you can see from Johns pics there had apparently been a blizzard outside turning his street into a winter wonderland!

After battling against the snow drift against the garage door we got out and headed inside.

After a coffee we headed back in, after a quick inspection and rectifying a couple of minor imperfections (namely a small run on one of the strut towers) I proceeded to bury the engine bay under it's final base coat.

Before applying lacquer (2k 2 pack) I decided to warm the metal up a little with my heat gun, taking my time and being careful not to go overboard I went round and slowly warmed the whole thing up.

Mixed the 1st batch of lacquer then got straight to spraying, I couldn't stop John admiring his reflection in the 1st couple of coats, I think he would have been almost happy if I'd left it at that! lol!

It didn't take long before the gun was empty once again, the bay had a good few coats on it by this time, so we once again decided on a coffee break (this time with mini rolls!)

Left it around half an hour before re-entering the garage and things were looking very good, me and John both had a good snoop round the bay to see if there were any areas that were thin, there were 1 or 2 small parts (Mainly tucked under the bar at the front) which were a little thin, I noted this and then proceeded with mixing the next batch of lacquer.

Once again I buried the bay in clearcoat, we had very little product left over and the engine bay had more than it's fair share of coating so we started packing up.

It was a battle and a half to get out of consett, I approached most of the roundabouts sideways in my van! Got home in the end though!

All in all I feel it was a very productive day!

John was happy and he even assisted, I brought an extra mask for him so he could be in the garage whilst I painted, he was on hand to lift the brake pipes etc. too.

Once again, cheers for the coffee and cakes and tell Paula I'm sorry I couldn't stay for curry mate! :)

Sorry for the long writeup, I just thought I'd give people an insight to we did yesterday.

Kev

well I guess that says it all. WELL apart from you have a sandwich and mini rolls not just mini rolls im not stindgy you know;)

I really appreciate all the help kev, Thanks again. I couldnt find and overspray anywhere either. Top Job mate.

My bad!

Forgot about the sandwich! :p

Twas very nice mate! :)

Kev has my scuttle panel, and the final dash panel which he's dropping off tonight. He's painted them black for me too. I wanted som ething done with the scuttle panel cos they do to be fair look pretty crap to say the least..

I collected my nitrous kit today.

Ive just gone for an intercooler spray and a duel purge kit. I really dont think the cars gona need anything else once its all built, but you never know:eyebrows:

The veilside plenum has conveniently already got 1/8 NPT threaded holes in the bottom of the intake runners where the car it came off ran nitrous. So instead of welding them up i thought id just put 1/8 NPT nuts in just to seal the holes incase I decide to go for a full nitrous setup in the future.

Ill stick come pics of the kit up later;)

Also go my fuel pump hanger and greddy catch tank back from the welders at work. Ive had -12an fitting welded onto the catch tank and a boss welded onto the top of the fuel pump hanger. The hole was drilled out to 17.5mm and ive tapped it to 3/4UNF thread so i can fit a -8an bulkhead fitting . This is so I get -8an line from the pump all the way to the front of the car and there isnt a bottle neck inside the pump before the line is as large as a 18an. Again ill stick some pics up when I get a minuite.

A few more pics here for you all.

kev showed up wit the scuttle panel and as usual the paint work is exceptional.

I fitted that and then decided to do something with the brake pipes as I was sick of seeing them just lying there in the engine bay.

parts for the nitrous kit

Scuttle panel

Brake lines in place.

ohh coming together nicely ;)

Just one thing, the blue hose you've used on the brake servo, are you sure that will be fine? The original hose is hard walled as it's under vacuum, and that looks a boost hose? Just wouldn't want anything untoward happening with your braking system :)