The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

ohh coming together nicely ;)

Just one thing, the blue hose you've used on the brake servo, are you sure that will be fine? The original hose is hard walled as it's under vacuum, and that looks a boost hose? Just wouldn't want anything untoward happening with your braking system :)

Thats a very good point Jay if normal hose bin it will have a effect on your brakes trust me i did this myself a few years ago.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ohh coming together nicely ;)

Just one thing, the blue hose you've used on the brake servo, are you sure that will be fine? The original hose is hard walled as it's under vacuum, and that looks a boost hose? Just wouldn't want anything untoward happening with your braking system :)

Thats a very good point Jay if normal hose bin it will have a effect on your brakes trust me i did this myself a few years ago.

Ive just put it there to get the right position for the hardpipe position, it was just something I found lying about thats all. The Stock line was a total mess and needed replacing anyway. ill be replacing it with the stock black pipe..

Had a couple of bits welded up at work and picked them up today.

I had -12an fitting welded to my greddy oil catch tank.

Also had the stock banjo thread mount drilled out and a larger boss welded in. Ive drilled the boss 17.5mm diamiter and and tapped it t 3/4UNF.

Thisthread size was for a -8an bulkhead bolt so I can get a -8an hose from the fuel pump right through to the front of the car.

The fitting is just test fitted. I need to get a o-ring for the top to seal it and a little sikaflex wont go a miss I recon. Ill get that tomorrow.

Modified the hanger at the bottom slightly so i could get the pump in and attatched it with jubilee clips. Got this idea from Dan's supra build (cheers dude).

I fitted a -8an check valve to the top of the pump instead of the banjo fitting so I can get the pipe from the pump without kinking it.

I need to go to my local hydrolics supplier tomorrow also it get some line with fittings on to go between the pump and the bulkhead fitting.

Ive aso fitted the float (again Dans idea of shortening the screws for the float by 3mm was spot on). Ive wires the pump up to the stock cable. the only problem i think I may come across is, will the stock cable to the pump be large enough. Ive done a search and theres contridicting info on it. Some say yes and some say no. I know using a twin walbro setup requires a different cable. Ive wred it in now but if someone can clarify this that would be great as its not a huge job to change.

Nice job on the pump stuff John :thumbs: I do have a couple of pointers for you though...

You'll need to lift the pump about 10-20mm from where you have it now to get it to fit without the filter hitting the bottom of the tank. Your filter looks deeper than mine and even I had to lift mine a little. That means that the 90degree tang on the original pump hanger has to be cut off. It's not a big deal though as the jubilee clips will hold it fine.

You may also find that the "fuel pump cover" in the boot won't fit once you put a 90 degree fitting on the top of the bulkhead fitting. Again, probably not the end of the world but you'll need to modify the cover if you want to use it to protect the wiring etc

By the way, nice check valve - glad you found one in the end. :)

sorted dan. I had to modify the hanger like you said but just bent it slightly to get the height. I removed the blue filter holder on the bottom of the pump, removed the washer from inside the filter and managed to get the filter to fit directly onto the bottom of the pump saving abit of height. Ill stick a few pics up when i get a min.

All the best mate.

Ive now finished off the fuel system or near as damn it anyway.

I had a braided line made up for the pump to connect the bulkhead bolt through the top of the pump to the pump, and after lowering the pump into the tank, yes it was indeed to long.

Not wanting to raise the pump to high and kink the braided line I decided to try and shorted the amount that was sticking out below the hanger, so heres what i did.

I removed the filter, romoved the blue filter holder and washer.

inside the top of the filted is a retaining washed that helps holding the filter on the blue thingy (sorry for the crap termanology lol).

believe it or not the filter then fit perfectly over the end of the pump. it was a really tight fit and was extreamly secure if you put it on with abit of pressure.

I had a -8an line made up for the main fuel line with a 90 degree on 1 end and a straight fitting on the other. I had it done at 3.2 metres overall length which turned out to be just perfect.

I had abit of a chew on fitting it though seems the fittings on the end of the line were far too big to fid down the side of the fuel tank therethe stock line went.

I had to remove fuel tank cover, and lower the fuel tank down a little just to get the line in. Once the fuel line was in the tank bolted back up no problems.

The clips which ran under the car again were too small to hold the larger line so I had to cut off the plastic clips and use large cable ties to hold the line in. it seemed to fit in nice and snug without any kinks or twists.

Because the stock cover wouldnt fit with the oversizes lines i bought this from Supradibs a while back. Unfortunatly the spare wheel wont fit but its at a perfect hieght for the board to lie totally flat as if the wheel was in when the carpet is down.

at the other end of the fuel line ive fitted a -8an fuel filter with a Y-piece reducer from 8an to 2x6an for either end of the fuel rail. I got these from speedflow. The filter especially was very good valve, i think it was somewhere in the region of 30 quid ish and has a replacable internal filter. this compared to the AEM version which is a lot more.

My Nitrous bottle bracket also arrived over the xmas holidays. its a quick release bracket so there is no neew to keep removing the bottle from the holder. You just remove the 2 pins and the bracket comes out from the bottom part leaving to with a carry handle on the bottle, funky or what lol.

My fan shroud also arrived from PHR. looks a nice bit of kit. Unfortunatly i did come with a bit of chrome chipped off but im sure ill be able to cope (I hope).

Cant imagine having it rechromed will be cheap.

I decided to do a little test fitting yesterday with the radiator and the fan shroud.

im pleased i did to be fair as they were nowhere near eachother.

The radiator was an ASI item which i have fitted to supras before and have heard good reports from fellow members about.

the rad had to have some of the lip on the side trimmed down so the shroud would fit over and 1 of the boss's that the shroud bolted o was too long and put the shroud on a slant so I milled that down and now it fits LUUUVVVLLLEEYYY.

Seems ive got abit of an OCD issue, I wasnt happy with the fitment of the rad cap as it didnt fit perfectly straight. Anal i know but it wasnt straight so wasnt acceptable. I machined a small amount of meterial from the stopper on the cap enabling it to turn a little further so the cap would be totally straight.

Today if i can get past the 12 inches of snow outside the house im gonatry fitting the fans to the shroud and bolt it back to the rad. Once the engine is in ill just lower the radiator, thefans and the shroud all in in 1 go.

more pics to follow folks.

I stripped down the rad and fan shroud today to fit the fans. Not as straight forward as i thought.

I had to strip the fans down and slide the motors through the shroud. for some reason the fans are different. The right fan comes with 5 wide blades and the left fan has 6 smaller blades. I cant see the logic of that to be honest but mr.T must have some reason for it.

The larger fan with the 5 blades was catching a little on th shroud so i had to take a really small amount of material off the end of the blades with my trusty grinder lol. Im a proper wiz with this now.

Watch out though folks my wife has lent be borrow her camera so the pics are actually pretty good ;)

Ive even got some funky chrome cable ties lmao.

The fans are different sizes/blades probably due to the fact in the original car (Lexus???) there would be an oil cooler or some other cooler additionally in front of one of the fans.

Looks great BTW

It wont make any difference I would have thought. Ill be putting my oil cooler and PAS cooler in front of the rad anyway so i guess it will help cooling those too.