SteveL's (Garage Whifbitz) Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've also fitted one my own very lightweight fibreglass bonnets, which was about 5kg, Steve hasn't even bothered to paint it to keep it lighter so its straight out of the mould. We also fitted a Naca type duct to direct cold air straight at the air filter to give a nice cold air feed.

Another part we changed this year as Steve had previously mentioned was the exhaust manifold.

The car was previously running an HKS twin scroll manifold so decided to prove what our new twin scroll version can do and you can see from the dyno sheets below its pretty conclusive. Remember all we changed here was the manifold and wastegate.

The difference is quite amazing, 150lb/ft extra torque at 4500rpm and around 500rpm quicker spool up? Pretty damm good.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took Steves car down to TDI today to use there Rotortest which is very impressive and highly recommended.

In its current state of tune the car made 600bhp at the rear hubs at 1.6 bar on Shell V-power(no additives) which is about what I was expecting. At a guess thats around 690bhp at the flywheel.

Tomorrow I will be fitting some of my own 280 degree 9.9mm lift camshafts and do a direct comparison with the HKS 280 9.3mm lift the engine currently has. I'm also fitting 1000cc Injector Dynamics injectors with a Titan fuel rail so we can turn the boost up to 2 bar ready for the long straights at Snetterton next weekend. Back to the dyno on Tuesday and I'll update with dyno sheets and results.

Just a little update...

Those of you following Paul's thread :

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=174664&page=27

...will have already seen we did a test day at Snetterton on Tuesday.

Fantastic way to get some decent practice and setup time, as there was hardly anyone there all day.

We had the Chevrolet WTCC team next to us testing one of their cars with Alain Menu driving. Now I thought this was an excellent chance to see what lines he took through the circuit!

Unfortunately, WTCC cars have incredible handling capabilities, especially in the hands of such a driver, so after an initial attempt to keep up with him on the back section of Snetterton - which lasted for about 2 corners! - I gave up with that idea and concetrated on setting the car up.

After an initial wet/greasy start to the day, which was excellent fun (again with hrdly anyone around we could get away with doing stuff just not possible on a track day) we had to settle into doing some proper testing.

As I had recently had the new OS Giken diff fitted I needed to get used to how the car now handled.... and all I can say is wow!

By the end of the day I had backed off the traction control allowing the diff to do the work and was getting some great improvements in traction out of corners, especially the tight right-hander at the end of the back straight. This is something I have struggled with for a while, having to previously wait for the stock diff and traction control to work out where the grip is and get me out of a corner. This was particularly frustraiting at Brands and Cadwell - where I could feel the inside wheel just spinning up and the traction control the bogging down the power.

After settling in I started playing around with suspension settings, mainly trying to confirm if I had my current settings correct in terms of how I like to have the car handle and to try and remove the issues we had last year with some nasty understeer. Both were acheived by the end of the day.

I managed a best of 1:16.11 and consistent 1:17's - which was on the completely shot set of tires we used from Cadwell, so I'm hoping (as Paul is!) that we have more to come with fresh tires.

(I could bore you with the tire fiasco we've had this year, but that would just send you all to sleep... if you're not already)

Anyhow, with a setup finalised, I went out for a few more laps, and bumped into Alain whilst out there... I thought I'd done pretty well to stay in front of him for a whole lap, and let him past on the front straight (hoping with my new setup I could snatch some tips off his lines etc). I tucked in behind him and we entered the first corner.... ok so far, still with him.... lines look good.... braking into the second corner.... ah - where's he gone! By the time I came out of the tight right-hander onto the back straight he was about a 1/4 of the way down it!

I managed to reel him back in only to see him disappear into and out of the next two corners before I'd even entered them!

Thats why he was doing 1:13's all day and I wasn't!

I later found out he was on a warmup lap when he followed me around :blink: .... bugger. Ego is now completely deflated.

So, heres looking forward to TA on the 10th.... hopefully some of you can come and see us in action :D

We had Steve's car on the TDi Rotortest dyno yesterday, it made an extra 29bhp at the hubs with the Whifbitz 280 9.9mm lift cams replacing the HKS 280 cams, thats around 33bhp at the flywheel approx. So pretty happy with that. 1.6 bar boost produced 629.4 at the hubs which is about 723bhp at the flywheel if you use 15% as the drivetrain loss.

Those figures were with the boost dropping off at the top end, as you can see from the dyno sheets below the torque drops off massively, so should be more to come once thats fixed.

Pretty sure its down to the 0.5 bar wastegate spring in there as we couldn't get anymore boost out of it. Bit of a shame as we need all the power we can get to take advantage of the long straights at Snetterton, never mind, Steve will have to try harder round the twisty bits ;)

I surely will be...

We're chasing the championship this weekend, currently 20 points behind Jamie in the Elise, so I need to beat him in qualifying and beat Paul and Jamie in the final to take the championship.

It won't be an easy ride, but I have nothing to lose, as I'll come second even if I dont compete :)

Second place is the first loser as No Fear say! ;):p

As your crew chief, I expect no less than your best as always mate but whatever happens, should be an awesome day with lots of action for all to see! :cool:

Maybe I should see if I can get Alan's number and ask if he'll go out behind you to push you round quicker!!! :innocent::D

Looking forward to it!! :eyebrows:

I surely will be...

We're chasing the championship this weekend, currently 20 points behind Jamie in the Elise, so I need to beat him in qualifying and beat Paul and Jamie in the final to take the championship.

It won't be an easy ride, but I have nothing to lose, as I'll come second even if I dont compete :)

Keep my finger crossed for you Steve - 1st PLACE :D;)