The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SteveL's (Garage Whifbitz) Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

quick update on the exhaust (its been mentioned in the main thread)...

At Brands on Sunday, according to Time Attack sound tests it registered 101dB at approx 5500rpm, so its got a track day friendly sound level :)

Any videos mate? im interested in one of these:)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update,

manged to knockup a heat shield for the air filter. It's been on the cards for a while, so decided to finally sort it out.

Basically made a cardboard template first, then when happy with the shape I cut the real thing out of heat shielding.

Added some metal edging trim to finish it off. I think I'll trim the hole around the intake pipe as well to finish it off.

The NACA duct in the side of the front bumper will now be feeding the air into the engine bay and hopefully stay cooler ...

Another development will be happening this week coming, as theres some new kit being fitted Tuesday with a test day at Snetterton on Thursday... more later :)

DSC02275.JPG

DSC02276.JPG

DSC02277.JPG

Quick update,

manged to knockup a heat shield for the air filter. It's been on the cards for a while, so decided to finally sort it out.

Basically made a cardboard template first, then when happy with the shape I cut the real thing out of heat shielding.

Added some metal edging trim to finish it off. I think I'll trim the hole around the intake pipe as well to finish it off.

The NACA duct in the side of the front bumper will now be feeding the air into the engine bay and hopefully stay cooler ...

Another development will be happening this week coming, as theres some new kit being fitted Tuesday with a test day at Snetterton on Thursday... more later :)

Looks good mate, think I'll copy that for mine!

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a while since anything serious happened to mine, so thought it was about time for some changes....

We were recently given the opportunity to change ECU's on both Paul's and my cars... Paul is running an AEM and I was using an Apexi Power FC... I say 'was' as in true Whifbitz style I'm the test mule for the latest development....

I was a little apprehensive as I've always been happy with the FC and didn't see the need to change to another ECU, as none really shone in terms of additional benefits for track work...

Until the boys at Solaris-ecs convinced us to give them a try.... so after an installation and initial setup by Ryan G and a run down to the SRR dyno I was up and running with a nice new Solaris ecu.

Initial dyno runs, after a setup session, were looking very good :

573 BHP/500 lb ft

... but the boost was tailing off. It would pull up to 1.4bar but dropped off to 1.1bar by the time the peak HP figure was reached.

So we had to end the day with a decent figure but needed a rerun after the potential turbo/boost problem was fixed.

Back to the workshop for some further checks and investigation... Daz and Paul and myself spent a fair amount of time trying to find the problem. Eventually it was located... due to heat build up around the snail of the intake housing on the turbo from the exhaust manifold (takes a breath!) the silicon hose that joins the snail to the intercooler piping (which was normally covered in a heat shield) had started to bake due to the heat shielding slipping down just enough to let the heat get at it and eventually the pressure from inside found its way out via a 5p sized hole.

After this was replaced by a tailor made and welded pipe, it was back down to SRR for Ryan and Charlie to have another go on the rolling road and we were hoping to see some nice power figures.

Again things were looking good - boost was holding well and just as things were starting to look like a magical power run.... the tyres started slipping on the rollers!

There were other things to be done with the solaris that day, so we called it at the following :

602 BHP/518 lb ft @ ~1.3 bar

Graphs are below, and those that can read them will see the tyres slipping at about 5600-5700.

Theres also a small boost leak as well, which has been identified so that should be fixed for the next visit to SRR.

Ryan then spent some time setting up the traction control so that I had something to play with on the way home :cool:

Fortunately he did as the journey back was dire... Driving mine in M25 gridlock is just insane, but being able to play with the TC in the wet made the journey entertaining... and quite a few people around me liked it as well :D

I'll report more in this soon, as we hope to get back to SRR for a run to see just what we can get from the setup. We will also be putting the new ecu through its paces at a track soon, as were hoping to get Paul's car up and running with the Solaris as well and get both on track.

It's worth mentioning that initial impressions of the Solaris are fantastic. This little bit of kit is excellent, as is the time and effort Ryan and Charlie have put in to help us get going with this set-up.

... and as always the sterling efforts from Paul and Daz in getting the car back to full health. It was a long couple of days but worth it :)

dyno4.jpg

dyno3.jpg

dyno1.jpg

Nice work indeed, what do you think of the Solaris TC, how does it compare to the RaceLogic?

On the road the TC is very good, smooth and almost undetectable when it kicks in, unlike Racelogic that spits and bangs... but thats down to the differences in how the power is controlled.

I'll need to be on track to really get a good comparison, as I hardly ever got the car out of shape on the roads... not enough room!

But I'm sure its going to be good... I'm very interested in the GPS positioned adjustments - that'll be fun :blink:

Nice update Steve ... do you have a video of the dyno run ... or mabyee of your trac ctrl test on the M25? :)

Hi Luc, no videos but I took a few snaps whilst there... started to get a bit 'arty' :blink:

...thought they might be good backgrounds.

I'm back there soon, so I'll do some videos then.

srr-1.JPG

srr-2.JPG

srr-3.JPG

on-the-rollers.JPG

Edited by SteveL (see edit history)

Nice pics ... looks good without bonnet too :D

What do you think will be your high boost setting once the setup/mapping conpleted?

I did wonder if a clear bonnet would be cool :eyebrows:

We're hoping to dyno run up to 2 bar on race fuel.

• 2 months later...

Quick update on Steve's car. Last time it was in for a quick check over, we changed the plugs. Well unfortunately(for Steve) that turned into a bit more. We thought we'd do a quick leak down and compression test, results were not good. It showed up piston ring and head gasket leakages. So decided to do a quick refresh, now its a race against time to get it all back together ready for the last round of Time Attack on the 11th!

Good news is I got hold of a 2nd hand Greddy inlet for him, pic below of it now its been polished up along with the reworked inlet runners and IC pipe.