SteveL's (Garage Whifbitz) Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got back home about 21:30, car is running very well so far.

A huge thanks to all who've put in the time and effort this week :

Paul, Ryan, 'The secret engineers', all of Whifbitz's additional fabricators etc and an extra big up for Dazza who without his spannering this week none of this would have happened :)

... lets hope we can put in some decent performances tomorrow now!

• 2 weeks later...

Little update...

As well as all the engine work that was done before the last round of TA (Just!) I had Nitron 3 way suspension fitted. Pics below are of front and rear shock and one of each mounted.

This was tested at Snetterton about 5 weeks before the last round and I settled into it nicely - very nice suspension indeed. We'll probably have to do a bit more setup testing to get my favorite setup (as I ended up with the same settings as Paul for the Snetterton round). In the end it's down to personal preference - but we both had some points we noted in the last round that could be improved on in the setup for fast circuits.

I've also included a pic of the engine bay now, after the Greddy inlet has been installed and with her nice and clean for the last round.

Full details of the last round are here...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=199747

Just in time for the last round, I also fitted a Tyresure system. Still have some setup/testing to do with this but it was handy at Snetterton in checking pressures were ok whilst I was out on track - the back straight gives you a few seconds to have a look at everything! More testing will give a better idea on what kind of tyre temps we should look for in respect to tyre temps we measure. But so far it's a handy piece of kit and I would hope it would at least warn of a potential issue from a flat/slow puncture if we had one.

I've also got some plexi door windows and vents to fit, hopefully I'll get those done soon and post some pics of that as well.

260820091277.jpg

260820091278.jpg

260820091279.jpg

111020091468.jpg

Little update...

As well as all the engine work that was done before the last round of TA (Just!) I had Nitron 3 way suspension fitted. Pics below are of front and rear shock and one of each mounted.

This was tested at Snetterton about 5 weeks before the last round and I settled into it nicely - very nice suspension indeed. We'll probably have to do a bit more setup testing to get my favorite setup (as I ended up with the same settings as Paul for the Snetterton round). In the end it's down to personal preference - but we both had some points we noted in the last round that could be improved on in the setup for fast circuits.

I've also included a pic of the engine bay now, after the Greddy inlet has been installed and with her nice and clean for the last round.

Full details of the last round are here...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=199747

Just in time for the last round, I also fitted a Tyresure system. Still have some setup/testing to do with this but it was handy at Snetterton in checking pressures were ok whilst I was out on track - the back straight gives you a few seconds to have a look at everything! More testing will give a better idea on what kind of tyre temps we should look for in respect to tyre temps we measure. But so far it's a handy piece of kit and I would hope it would at least warn of a potential issue from a flat/slow puncture if we had one.

I've also got some plexi door windows and vents to fit, hopefully I'll get those done soon and post some pics of that as well.

Be good to get it on the dyno to see what its doing now, I reckon 660bhp, looking better and better under that bonnet.

• 1 month later...

Quick update, after the Supra dyno day at SRR we came home very happy with the results.

Back in July we'd seen 602HP/515lbft @1.4bar but we had a boost leak so couldn't hold more than that.

On Sunday we saw 652HP/550lbft @ 1.3bar, again with a boost leak.

We still need to find the leak, but after a full engine refresh and a new inlet manifold it should be relatively easy to find it :blink:.

This is a great improvement, and does show to some extent that the new inlet has increased power.

Concensus indicated that we should have been able to get 700HP had the boost held.

... time to find the boost leak :eyebrows:

Dyno charts below...

scan0001-sml.jpg

scan0002-sml.jpg

scan0003-sml.jpg

Good bit of kit them Greddy intake manifolds, i see a 30 odd bhp increase when mine was fitted.

Boost leak should be easy enough to find, when i had to find one on the red car i just cut up old wheel barrow innertube and jublie clipped the valve part over the turbo and pumped it up, leak was easily spotted.

• 4 months later...

Quick update, had a few things on the go so finally got round to updating the thread....

Were hastily prepping the cars for Oulton Park this weekend comming, so the changes I've made so far are :

Thanks to one of our sponsors, Super Pro, I've had all the bushes replaced across the whole car. Hopefully this will remove any sloppyness I had in the car's setup with its previous possibly original rubber bushes!

Re-wired/re-cabled a lot of the harness so its tidier and safer.

This means that I can remove the dash and work on the electrics easier. More of a tidyup than any visual improvement, but long term this will make maintenance/installation of the electrics better.

New manifold on, one of the infamous 'quick spooling' ones :-)

I'm hopefully going down SRR on tuesday to get a map check from Ryan, so we will be able to see what benefits the manifold has on the system I was running (Garret GT4088R ) with only the one Wastegate. Hopefully this will show similar gains to the setup Paul tested last week, and would be a good proof for people wanting to see a back to back test.

New bonnet, lighter and NACA vented (same design as Paul's one) - this bonnet is so light I can easily move it around on my own. More details on this from Paul once we get some proper pics of it.

New front bumper - Paul's Ridox bumper with the new front splitter and under tray.

New side skirts - Paul's Ridox carbon ones. Must say these were very easy to fit, guide holed pretty much spot on and the fit is excellent - no trimming needed at all, just a few mount holes to drill - they use all the original fixing points.

I'll also be running slightly wider rear tyres this year, moving up to a 295 section from the 285's.

Few pics below of some of the above....

twinscroll-man.jpg

front-bumper.jpg

side-skirts.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sks
Quick update,

manged to knockup a heat shield for the air filter. It's been on the cards for a while, so decided to finally sort it out.

Basically made a cardboard template first, then when happy with the shape I cut the real thing out of heat shielding.

Added some metal edging trim to finish it off. I think I'll trim the hole around the intake pipe as well to finish it off.

The NACA duct in the side of the front bumper will now be feeding the air into the engine bay and hopefully stay cooler ...

Another development will be happening this week coming, as theres some new kit being fitted Tuesday with a test day at Snetterton on Thursday... more later :)

US Road Course Racing Supra here. Just subscribed to this thread. Out of curiousity, is there a reason why you didn't go with some form of cold air intake by the large oem bumper hole/vent? This would still seem to work well with the NACA duct even if you had an oil cooler in front of the hole/vent.

Also do you have the pics of how the NACA ducts were installed?

Thanks.

Steve

Edited by sks (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
US Road Course Racing Supra here. Just subscribed to this thread. Out of curiousity, is there a reason why you didn't go with some form of cold air intake by the large oem bumper hole/vent? This would still seem to work well with the NACA duct even if you had an oil cooler in front of the hole/vent.

Also do you have the pics of how the NACA ducts were installed?

Thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I think I understand what you mean... using the NACA duct on the side of the bumper was easier to mount/install that trying to make the ducting behind the oil cooler.

This has now all changed with the latest front bumper.

Paul has already also installed the OEM cold air pickup that sits in the centre of the bumper (the slim/flat ducting) and feeds it with a tube coming from where the intercooler is.

AS for the pics, the only ones I have are on the thread - sorry. If theres something not clear - ask away and I'll try to describe :)

Quick update, as I haven't posted since the start of Timeattack this year!

The mods done over the winter have made a superb difference to the car.

I've managed to smash 4 seconds off of both my Oulton and Knockhill fasted laps. Oulton was a surprise as I didn't think I could push the car that hard and get such a massive increase, so when it came to Knockhill and I had a chance at a clear lap... Christ that car is getting fast! To knock 4 secs off a lap of about 1:30 is a great but to then knock 4 secs off a lap of 1:00 is fantastic.

One of the guys who helps us out at the races came in the car at Knockhill for a few laps and commented "You drove that like you stole it!"

I'd put this down to 3 things :

1.A full poly bush replacement (thanks Super Pro)

2.New front splitter giving more grip

3.Pushing the car harder due to the confidence of the above changes.

Oh, and of course the continued support from the whole Garage Whifbitz team ;)

Theres a full writeup of Oulton here :

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=216410

...and the Knockhill round is currently being written, so will be posted asap.