The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SteveL's (Garage Whifbitz) Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

Not that there was anything wrong with the SPA gauges!! :tongue:;)

I hope not anyway as I bought them!! :D:D:D

Looking very nice mate! :thumbs:

Look forward to seeing it in metal at Oulton Park :cool:

Pete :)

Nothing wrong with the gauges ;)... I should have rearranged them better, but couldn't with the layout of the supe. You'll have no probs in the rex as the dash layout you'll have will allow the gauges to be right in front of you.

Also, I wanted data logging of all the gauges :cool:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Testing and race at Oulton was awesome, the car performed faultlessly for both days and it gave me a chance to use the Racepak dash on track for the first time.

It's an excellent piece of kit, very readable, clear and as you can modify the display you can have what ever you want displayed.

Big thanks again to all the team for their work and help...

Full report is here :

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=183465

Also as we had upgraded the cooling for the oil and brakes we were happy to see that oil temps didn't rise above about 85 deg C which is great news as last year we were suffering from heat issues a little, with temps well into the 110 deg C. Brakes also felt better - no fade at all... I am known at Time Attack for going the full 20mins in a session and pretty much blasting the whole time, so this first run proved that they are also feeling better.

Since Oulton we've fitted a heated front windscreen, just in time for knockhill! - this will help with misting problems since I haven't got any form of heating/demisting in the car now. I've even removed the blower fan I had.

There were also plans to fit one of the new Whifbitz 3.5 inch exhausts but decided that there wouldn't be time to test it properly before knockhill, so that'll have to wait until after.

Seeing as the exhaust is of interest to a few members I'll try and do some 'testing' etc for people to get an idea of noise/sounds etc. We have to make the cars conform to a max of 105dB and were hoping this will get us well below that. Also as I haven't got ANY soundproofing at all the interior noise is something that is important from a driver comfort point of view... driver fatigue on track is just as much an issue as on the road!

more soon.....

Edited by SteveL (see edit history)

We found this rather large crack in one of Steve's front disc on Tuesday, so had to express a set of new pads over from the US which arrived yesterday morning along with a new pair of AP discs from AP Racing, just in time for Knockhill this weekend! They've done pretty well though, they've been on the car since 2006 I tbink.

There were also plans to fit one of the new Whifbitz 3.5 inch exhausts but decided that there wouldn't be time to test it properly before knockhill, so that'll have to wait until after.

Seeing as the exhaust is of interest to a few members I'll try and do some 'testing' etc for people to get an idea of noise/sounds etc. We have to make the cars conform to a max of 105dB and were hoping this will get us well below that. Also as I haven't got ANY soundproofing at all the interior noise is something that is important from a driver comfort point of view... driver fatigue on track is just as much an issue as on the road!

more soon.....

Is that the 3.5" exhaust Paul sells? - I have one with a 3" DP an no cats, and its approx 97db on idle

Just received the new batch on my own exhausts, so Steve thought he would kindly try one out for me! These are now 3.5" twin box so quieter than the old single box version. We measured the noise on Steve's car and it was 105db at 5000rpm, thats with 3" downpipe/midpipe. Should just about be quiet enough for most circuits, currently looking at making the system even quieter. Certainly worked ok at the last round of Time Attack giving Steve his 2nd win of the season, well done that man.

Must admit I love the sound of these, very similar to the HKS super dragger I had on before. Nice and meaty low down and a lovely purr when pushed.

I'll try and get some sound recordings done soon.

Also, not that it's important to everyone, but Paul did weigh one of these but I can't remember how much it was.

• 5 weeks later...

Just fitted the new 3" version of the Whifbitz exhaust to Steve's car, its now 104db so just about track day/time attack friendly. I'm sure Steve will come along any moment and tell you how much quieter it is. Some pics:

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/whifbitzproducts/exhausts/3inchTT.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/whifbitzproducts/exhausts/3inchTTa.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/whifbitzproducts/exhausts/3inchTTb.jpg

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/whifbitzproducts/exhausts/3inchTTc.jpg

Edited by Paul Whiffin (see edit history)

Just to add, its 104db (according to Brands noise test) @ approx 5000 rpm, which for most is a higher rpm than normal (rev limit on mine is 8500) so it would be even lower.

Its definitely quieter driving on the road and cruises nicely at about 70-80mph.

and as I don't have any soundproofing its more comfortable to drive without the helmet on!

The rear box also has a nice look to it inside the tail pipe :-)