The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garage Whifbitz Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

i spotted something the other day paul that i thaught you would be interested in. its a race series for japanese cars only. might be something different to time attack if you fancy a change.

ill try and dig up a link... cant seem to find it but i saw it advertised on a site that CW posted that was selling race cars (not racecarsdirect) and i cant remember the name.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i spotted something the other day paul that i thaught you would be interested in. its a race series for japanese cars only. might be something different to time attack if you fancy a change.

ill try and dig up a link... cant seem to find it but i saw it advertised on a site that CW posted that was selling race cars (not racecarsdirect) and i cant remember the name.

I haven't seen that no, or are you thinking of the Nippon Series?

• 1 month later...

A quick update on my car:

I've just ordered up a new turbo, the brand new out Borg Warner EFR 8374. I really cant wait to try this out as this is a lot of hype concering the new EFR range of turbos. I've gone for the 1.05 A/R external WG option to make use my twin scroll manifold.

Here is some technical information. EFR 8374 is engineered to support big power levels yet spool fast enough for professional time attack teams. The 74mm Gamma-Ti turbine wheel is the optimal match for the 62.6mm inducer / 83mm exducer FMW compressor wheel and is capable of 79lb/min airflow and 45+psi boost. This is one of the most exciting turbos in the EFR lineup for the high-power addicts. This turbo has the largest EFR compressor housing and is ideal for use in single turbo applications for the 500-800hp range, or as twin turbo applications >1400+hp. Ceramic Ball Bearing only, watercooling optional (recommended).

■Compressor Type: Forged-Milled Wheel (FMW) Extended Tip

■Compressor Wheel OD (exducer): 83mm

■Compressor Wheel Inducer: 62.6mm

■Max Flow Rate: 79 lb/min

■Built-in BOV: All EFR compressor housings incorporate an integrated BOV.

■Compressor Housing Connections:

■Inlet: 4" Ported Shroud Hose Coupler

■Outlet: 2.5" Hose Coupler w/ integrated Vband option

■Turbine Type: Low Inertia Gamma-Ti Turbine Wheel

■Turbine Wheel OD: 74mm

■Stainless Steel Investment cast Housing - The EFR 8374 is available in (3) different turbine housing configurations:

■0.83 A/R T3 undivided (Internal WG)

■0.92 A/R T4 twinscroll (Internal WG)

■1.05 A/R T4 twinscroll (external WG)

■Turbine outlet: GT-Vband (aka small 3" vband) ~92mm OD for all EFR turbos

■Dual Row Ceramic Ball Bearings - lowest friction and fastest spool/response, most extreme durability, built-in oil control orifice - (aka oil restrictor) **no restrictor can be used with EFR turbos

■Watercooled Center Section - watercooling is recommended, 14mm banjo bolts

■Double seals on both turbine and compressor end for extreme durability and resistance to any oil seepage

■Boost Control Solenoid Valve Integrated to Compressor Housing

■Integrated Speed Sensor mounting provisions

Edited by Paul Whiffin (see edit history)

I would of stuck with your huge BW turbo personaly :D

I dont see the hype of these, its just a billet turbo with internal gate and BOV, only advantage i see is packaging and thats bout it :shrug:

:blink:

The packaging is a major advantage, simplifies the setup enormously. Plus, you say it may be "just" a billet turbo, but perhaps it has a fairly innovative inducer design?

I'd wait to see what it is capable of until you pass judgement, i'm sure Paul knows a thing or two about tuning cars ;)

The packaging only simplifies things *IF* the stuck on bits don't interfere with "other things". With a basic turbo you get the option to move ancillaries like the BOV and the wastegate to somewhere more appropriate if clearance issues occur. The only thing I see as good is the turbine housing material. Despite being touted as new and revolutionary Saab models, and the GM Soltace have used this type of bespoke turbo packaging for years. Not bespoke!! As in they tell the turbo makers where to nail on the `gate and the BOV, not as with these where you hope the pre nailed on bits aren't somewhere awkward :)

I'd wait to see what it is capable of until you pass judgement, i'm sure Paul knows a thing or two about tuning cars ;)

This i have no doubt of and i havent exactly passed judgement on them as of yet. There turbos were heavily hyped up and so far i havent seen anything to show or say there 'revolutionary' as were stated :)

I await the results

Good videos Paul, how fast were you two going on the long straight? one of the few tracks where a supra can really stretch its legs.

Off the top of my head about 170mph I think, its the best track on our calender, suits the cars with the long straights, its the one place where we have some kind of chance of getting close to some of the 4wd cars.

Spent the day at the Autosport show yesterday, I love going there every year, so much to see, I get to see a lot of my suppliers and catch up with friends in the trade.

Anyway, as we are now in the Pro Class the car needs a few bits to comply with the regulations. I purchased a Cartek battery isolator kit, got it nice and cheap as they had a show special on them, http://www.cartek.biz/shop.html.

Steve and I also treated ourselves to a Stand 21 Hans Device and Stilo helmet, both cars are getting faster and faster and we want to as safe as we can be. We bought them off Nicky Grist, for those who dont him he used to be Colin Mcrae's co driver. It was great talking to him, top bloke and he gave us a fantastic deal on both of them in exchange for stickers on our cars.

I've also got to fit some FIA approved seats, just waiting for a sponsorship deal back from Cobra. And a fire system to, haven't looked into these yet though, we ran out of time at the show yesterday.

Pics below: