Garage Whifbitz Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As Paul said, what a blast it was on Tuesday...

It was like sharing the track with a WTCC team for the whole day!

There were some very rapid cars there which made the whole day more productive - not having to constantly watch out for slower/other cars around you is a huge difference.

Alain was a star - very polite and a good laugh, as were the whole team.

They were fascinated by the size of the turbos we were using :D

I'll update my thread to keep Pauls devoted to his car :

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=177142&page=5

... more details on what I did there.....

Alain has always had an eye for a nice pair of turbos :) You will have seen where the TC's get their speed from, they are pretty good in the corners, and on the brakes, aren't they? ;)

Absolutely, I just couldn't believe the pace he turned in at the bottom of the back straight - we were pulling about 150mph down the straight but had to rein in so much he went down the inside of us, off line and still disappeared off into the distance.

Plus I dont think there was a corner where the whole car was on the black stuff!

It's all relative. Factory car, pro driver, unlimited testing = indecently quick :) In a decent single seater / sports prototype you can be snatching another higher gear hard on the throttle whilst a TC is hard on the brakes for the same corner. Hope you guys have a more successful time for the final TA round. Glad the diffs worked well, they should be worth quite a bit of lap time once you get the setups sorted to use them properly :)

Off to TDi's dyno on Tuesday with Ryan to see what we can get out of this latest engine running 2 bar, may be more, see how we go on the day.

Will post up results and dyno sheets of course.

I was hoping to squeeze mine in on Friday when you were originally going there aswell. I can't make Tuesday due to work :(

Just got back from TDi's dyno, had quite a productive day with my car trying different cam timing settings which helped massively.

At 1.8 bar it made 747.3 bhp at the hubs so about 860bhp at the flywheel approx. Thats on straight Shell V-Power, no race fuel or octane booster.

Could have made more to as the boost was dropping off at the top end when we tried 2 bar boost, pretty sure this is down to the wastegate springs being to weak as they are only 0.5 bar springs which I like to keep in there in case it rains and need to run less power.

It had more midrange at 2 bar though so I'll still run 2 bar Snetterton on Sunday, very much looking forward to it, just hope it stays dry.

Big thanks to Ryan as usual, your a star mate.

Edited by Paul Whiffin (see edit history)

Am I reading this correctly? Are they claiming the hub output is only 7.6 HP less than the estimated engine (flywheel) HP at peak power? Or are all figures hub power, with a temp and humidity correction factor from some base level?

Lost me mate? It made 747.3 bhp at the hubs and then at a guess using 15% transmission losses that gives about 860bhp at the fly?

Am I reading this correctly? Are they claiming the hub output is only 7.6 HP less than the estimated engine (flywheel) HP at peak power? Or are all figures hub power, with a temp and humidity correction factor from some base level?

All the figures are Hub Power its just the wheel power is the raw value staight from the Packs and then a correction is applied to it based on Air pressure, Air Temp and humidity to give corrected Power.