The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Influx of 'Boy Racers' into the club?

Sheefa

*wonders what my next car club will be after the supe.

Thing is after supra there are no decent jap exclusive cars left. Maybe skyline club? But I bet that has its share too given their fall in prices. I've done the rx7 club.

Only thing left is nsx club which is probably quite decent and chav free.

Its affecting the Lexus owners club as well.

"hi i is got me a nic is, but i wnt to slam it on its ass and go driftin will these budget tyres be ok?"

or

"i need some parts for me is, i was driftin round a roundabout wit the traction control off (iz bin on a speed awareness course i dont need it) and l lost control into a tree. can you help?"

That sort of thing?

Edited by sparkystav
To check my spelling and grammar. lol (see edit history)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No disrespect, but have you also considered it could be the sometimes negative and petty mentality that underlies this forum which drives members away?

You say that like it's a bad thing. If negative and petty mentality is responsible for driving thicko's people away... We're obviously not trying hard enough.

Funny. I dont see many Supras where I live. In fact, I cant honestly remember the last time I saw any kind of Supra on the road....

Im not sure what it is that has drove me away. But im on here far less now, I use to post alot.

I now rarely post in comparison to before. I dont bother with meets (unless Local if i can make it) whilst before would of made the effort for the bigger meets.

Im not sure what it is that has drove me away. But im on here far less now, I use to post alot.

I now rarely post in comparison to before. I dont bother with meets (unless Local if i can make it) whilst before would of made the effort for the bigger meets.

Ah the lonely life of the Abflug owner eh? :innocent:

JK :p

We simply ask that people string a sentence together the way they were taught in school. Nobody in this country should have gone through childhood without being in school. If they left school without the ability to write a sentence (but can quite obviously read to be able to get on the forum) then they need to obtain literacy skills and not spend their time reading crap on the internet.

Reading and writing are essential skills in a civilised society. Those that have difficulties with writing know it and will make an effort. Those that have no difficulty but just can't be arsed I have no time for.

Not everybody uses the same complicated words that I do, but it's not about that. It's about those who write like they have verbal diarrhoea. The words just stream down on to the page with no real thoughts about what they are saying.

Take the word Diarrhoea I used above. I didn't know how to spell it so I went and looked it up. Imagine that.

I will continue to fight for decent spelling, grammar and punctuation on this forum. I do not want to spend my time reading poorly written drivel from idiots who spend their life txting their mates and living the life of a chav.

There are many intelligent members of the forum who are fed up with the way the forum is going, so much so that they lose interest in their cars and eventually walk away.

So, I will continue to belittle the people who cannot string a sentence together. They cant just breeze through life expecting people to make exceptions for them. I continue to improve my literacy skills by reading, doing crosswords, logic puzzles, talking to intelligent people about what they are doing with their life. I strive to improve myself, the bottom feeders dont and they are not welcome here. That might be seen as elitist, but I won't bring myself down to their level when Im happy where I am.

Thats my last statement in this thread. I dont think I could be any clearer.

JB

Absolutely! Branners, you're my hero! I, too, look up words that I don't know how to spell (some of them are quite short :() instead of guessing. If that makes me sad, then so be it. I think it makes my posts easier to read.

For those who think that bad grammar and spelling doesn't matter anymore, think again. I helped to run assessment centres for the company I worked for (their way of recruiting graduates). Candidates are tested on their ability to write proper sentences and use correct grammar. A misplaced apostrophe wouldn't make the difference between a job offer or no job offer, but those who have generally poor written skills are marked down and that can and does make that difference.

Until/unless employers have the same lax standards as the candidates, grammar and spelling will continue to matter.

When people post on here, they're doing so for a chat/banter or advice, not applying for a job, so I don't pick people up on it. It doesn't hurt to try though. Those looking for advice tend to get better advice if people can actually read their posts.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

There's no excuse for ignorance, when you have all the internet at your fingertips IMO.

Online dictionaries are always available, alternative words can be sought, and if something is misunderstood, then Google it.

The truth is out there. :)

I just ran your post through this translator and obtained:

THAR3S NO EXCUES FOR IGNORANCA WHAN U HAEV AL DA INT3RNET AT UR FNG3RTIPS IMO!!1111 OMG LOL

ONLIEN DICTIONAREIS R ALWAYS AVALEABLA ALTERNATIEV WORDS CAN B SOUGHT AND IF SOMETHNG SI MISUND3RS2D THEN GOGLA IT!!!!!1 WTF

TH3 TRUTH SI OUT TH3RE!111!1! WTF )

There, that's better.

I whole heartedly agree with what Branners has said (and others of the same view). If people are too lazy to write properly then that is their problem, why should the forum suffer as a result of it.

I have had errors with my spelling and grammar pointed out many times (not just on here) and I certainly didn't whine and complain that people were being elitist or picking on me. I took the advice and tried to make sure I didn't make the same mistake again. What is so hard about that?

I completely agree with Branners, Martin and co. on this. I'm 24 and an IT consultant and there's no way I'd have even got close to my job without being able to write properly; although having said that, I've noticed some of the 'youngsters' are now coming through with 'less than perfect' SPAG.

I went to a pretty rough school in a poor area of Nuneaton, where probably less than half of my year got 4 or more GCSEs (some of those grades being in the A-G bracket). I have very little time for most of them, not because of their lack of achievement, but that is symptomatic of the reason behind my dislike. They weren't unintelligent people - many of them, in fact, were very intelligent, but they were lazy and, generally, tw@ts with no social skills or respect for other people.

I can cope with poor grammar, but a blatant disregard of any kind of sentence structure or effort toward coherence really grinds my gears.

Having said that, for the sake of making a Boosh reference...

You guys worrying about the change in language are just scared. You fear the lack of rules; the lack of boundaries. Oh, look; a fence. But, no, it's soft!

I'm bored.

I whole heartedly agree with what Branners has said (and others of the same view). If people are too lazy to write properly then that is their problem, why should the forum suffer as a result of it.

I have had errors with my spelling and grammar pointed out many times (not just on here) and I certainly didn't whine and complain that people were being elitist or picking on me. I took the advice and tried to make sure I didn't make the same mistake again. What is so hard about that?

:goodpost:

No disrespect, but have you also considered it could be the sometimes negative and petty mentality that underlies this forum which drives members away?

I've got to agree with Thorin (to an extent) on this one:

You say that like it's a bad thing. If negative and petty mentality is responsible for driving thicko's people away... We're obviously not trying hard enough.

It doesn't hurt anyone to at least try to use correct written English.

My 16 year old cousin comes across as quite an intelligent young lady when you speak to her, but if you chat with her online, you feel like you're talking to a 4 year old there's so many txt abbreviations used. It's difficult to read and makes you seem stupid. The same goes for anyone on here who can't be bothered to use any punctuation, the shift key or who omits vowels from words.

The truth is out there :)

*has a sudden urge to order The X Files on DVD....*

Who did you have in mind? I can't see that members wanting a decent standard of lingual skills on this forum would drive away the likes of Digsy, Chris Wilson & IanC.

As has been repeatedly said, nobody is asking for a masterpiece, but they are requesting an effort to be made.

I've got to agree with Thorin (to an extent) on this one:

It doesn't hurt anyone to at least try to use correct written English.

My 16 year old cousin comes across as quite an intelligent young lady when you speak to her, but if you chat with her online, you feel like you're talking to a 4 year old there's so many text abbreviations used. It's difficult to read and makes you seem stupid. The same goes for anyone on here who can't be bothered to use any punctuation, the shift key or who omits vowels from words.

Totally agree with you mate. My Daughter (15) is the same on the PC and via text message and none of what she texts makes any sense. I have on more then one occasion text her back and told her to learn how to spell proper as she ain't thick.

I think that it's text speak which is the major issue. Poor spelling isn't great but that can be excused most of the time, though sometimes some spellings are way off and are a little funny. But it's things like M8 that which are annoying, longer words in text speak are just so frustraighting.

I think that it's text speak which is the major issue. Poor spelling isn't great but that can be excused most of the time, though sometimes some spellings are way off and are a little funny. But it's things like M8 that which are annoying, longer words in text speak are just so frustraighting.

I see what you did there! :D

The architects of the current poor use of the English language must surely lie with the diabolical education system we have. Children are taught that as long as they are close to the word then its OK!! whats wrong with using "por" or "pore" when you want to say "poor".

Schoolchildren are no longer taught to learn, but taught to achieve targets. As long as the education system has "targets" to achieve, schollkids will not be given the chance to learn.