Influx of 'Boy Racers' into the club?

Sheefa

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I don't get what the fuss is about bad grammar in this forum. We are not writing novels or journals, just having a laugh most of the time. Some people take it much too seriously. Not saying yourself, but some are forever correcting others for minor typos.

True but it doesn't hurt to make an effort. No one is looking for PHD thesis submission but neither is anyone expecting illegible tripe off an adult unless English is not their first language (and it's embarrassing that some of our foreign members have better English than some of the natives).

This forum has as many pedant's as it has people who are not quite so fussed about being spot on with their posts, so baring text speak and chav speak, i suggest we just live with it! after all this is a car forum, so maybe we should stick to that, otherwise we all might just as well sod off and find somewhere to waffle on.

Here is a link for those who prefer correction;)

http://www.ecademy.com/module.php?mod=club&t=619158

This forum has as many pedant's as it has people who are not quite so fussed about being spot on with their posts, so baring text speak and chav speak, i suggest we just live with it! after all this is a car forum, so maybe we should stick to that, otherwise we all might just as well sod off and find somewhere to waffle on.

Bearing, or barring? ;)

pedants

seems we can have 'boy racer's', and they get mentioned in the media. but never see much mention of 'girl racer's', but i am sure they are just as bad, some are around here.

i wonder what a 'girl racer' is classed as, she can't be a 'boy racer', lol

good point, we have a number of girl racers around here, one of which has totalled her car twice since she got her liscense last year. Girl's seem to suffer from invincibility sydrome every bit as much as lads do, if not more.

I just find it hard to believe that 20 year olds cannot string a sentence together. Do they no longer have to write application letters for jobs or even write emails to their family that pass some sort of resemblence to a formal communication?

At school (a comprehensive in St Albans called Francis Bacon, so not posh) we were taught how to write formal letters, how to apply for jobs, how to write envelopes properly and even how to write a cheque properly.

The decline in written skills comes through very strongly from the younger members. And the attitude that goes with it is something I dont want to see.

Sadly I will continue to be a pedant about this. The quality of certain members posts is shocking, and I will keep on about it until their either improve or leave.

I will not let the forum degenerate in to some chav stuffed Barryboys site using the lowest common denominator as the benchmark.

JB

I don't think pointing out grammar errors like 'it's or 'your' is pedantic at all, it's a simple case of right and wrong.

It's not exactly difficult to get right either, if you don't know just put a bit of effort in and learn. If you can learn 90% of the English language, you can learn the other 10% imo.

I just find it hard to believe that 20 year olds cannot string a sentence together. Do they no longer have to write application letters for jobs or even write emails to their family that pass some sort of resemblence to a formal communication?

At school (a comprehensive in St Albans called Francis Bacon, so not posh) we were taught how to write formal letters, how to apply for jobs, how to write envelopes properly and even how to write a cheque properly.

The decline in written skills comes through very strongly from the younger members. And the attitude that goes with it is something I dont want to see.

Sadly I will continue to be a pedant about this. The quality of certain members posts is shocking, and I will keep on about it until their either improve or leave.

I will not let the forum degenerate in to some chav stuffed Barryboys site using the lowest common denominator as the benchmark.

JB

That should be "they" :rolleyes:

That should be "they" :rolleyes:

sadly I have to tone my emails down sometimes, which means rewording before submitting and missing some words along the way.

at least it was Their and not There....;)

Surely it's "They're"......;)

I like the deliberate mistake in your last post JB.....:innocent:

H.

JB

:love: