The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Influx of 'Boy Racers' into the club?

Sheefa

Lighten up you lot, text speak is just a short way of writing something, i dont see the big deal.....

now leet speak, thats much worse!

1 |\|33D 4 |\|3\/\/ b4773r'/ Ph0r /\/\'/ 5UPr4

(http://www.brenz.net/l337Maker.asp)

thats 7331

I can understand some txt speak on a txt message (as space is limited) but to use it on a forum really gets my goat!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Totally agree with you mate. My Daughter (15) is the same on the PC and via text message and none of what she texts makes any sense. I have on more then one occasion text her back and told her to learn how to spell proper as she ain't thick.

Some of it's plain laziness: omitting the 'w' from the end of words such as "know". Some of it takes longer to type than normal words, so I fail to see its point or purpose: using 'm8t' instead of "matey" for example.

now leet speak, thats much worse!

1 |\|33D 4 |\|3\/\/ b4773r'/ Ph0r /\/\'/ 5UPr4

(http://www.brenz.net/l337Maker.asp)

Say what? Is this actually considered an acceptable form of communication between some freaks in this country?

The architects of the current poor use of the English language must surely lie with the diabolical education system we have. Children are taught that as long as they are close to the word then its OK!! whats wrong with using "por" or "pore" when you want to say "poor".

Schoolchildren are no longer taught to learn, but taught to achieve targets. As long as the education system has "targets" to achieve, schollkids will not be given the chance to learn.

I've a few teacher friends, and they all work to targets now instead of concentrating on educating kids in the basics of English, maths etc.

My mum's a secondary school teacher and I know for a fact that she puts in at least as many hours outside of school as she does in the classroom, yet the curriculum is constantly being biased towards being ethically, politically, racially and socially neutral, which will always get in the way of the teaching. Being a biology teacher, it really riles her that she's no longer allowed to teach Darwin's theory of evolution as being "fact" because it's "just a theory" and some types get offended by it :rolleyes:. I'm sure similar things are happening in the syllabus' for other subjects too.

Some of it's plain laziness: omitting the 'w' from the end of words such as "know". Some of it takes longer to type than normal words, so I fail to see its point or purpose: using 'm8t' instead of "matey" for example.

Matey! Thanks for clearing that one up for me, I hadn't sussed it out.

Say what? Is this actually considered an acceptable form of communication between some freaks in this country?

Heck yes, on teh internets!!

as soon as the boy racer steps into the supe, the car transforms him into someone different. the car makes him more mature and more responsible.

:rlol:

I really, really, really hope you were extracting the urine with that comment.

Matey! Thanks for clearing that one up for me, I hadn't sussed it out.

Glad to be of assistance :)

Took me a while to figure it too!

Heck yes, on teh internets!!

You've also pointed out another one that really bugs me: 'teh' instead of 'the' is a world apart from confusing "their, there, they're" or "your/you're".

I agree in principal on the use of correct English, but not the enforcement of it here. Yes, people should be expected to post in clear English and not the utter drivel that you see in a lot of posts, it being an English forum and all, but the way that members are riddiculed and driven off the forum by the pack before being given a chance to redeem themselves can only be damaging to the continued growth and success of the club.

Any thread with text speak, poor sentence structure and so on just gets jumped on these days by people thinking that their taunts are funny and original, in many cases moderators join in too. Is that really in he best interest of the club? Is that really the purpose of moderators these days?

Probably not a popular opinion, but mine never the less.

I agree in principal on the use of correct English, but not the enforcement of it here. Yes, people should be expected to post in clear English and not the utter drivel that you see in a lot of posts, it being an English forum and all, but the way that members are riddiculed and driven off the forum by the pack before being given a chance to redeem themselves can only be damaging to the continued growth and success of the club.

Any thread with text speak, poor sentence structure and so on just gets jumped on these days by people thinking that their taunts are funny and original, in many cases moderators join in too. Is that really in he best interest of the club? Is that really the purpose of moderators these days?

Probably not a popular opinion, but mine never the less.

Nobody is ridiculed for a typo, like yesterday when someone wrote "scholl" instead of "school" as it was clear that it was a slip of the index and I'm confident that no-one would mention how you have spelt ridiculed either- it's the bum basic stuff people want fixed.

As I asked earlier, who is getting driven off by a request to raise the standards? Would you rather keep them but lose the more intelligent members who are sick of the thick and the lazy? Given the choice who would you rather stick around?

Imo it is in the best interests of the club, and if the moderators and the owner of the club join in then it's all the better- do you want this place to be regarded like a Scooby/Civic OC or an NSX OC? You may also want to think how this reflects on us as a club and as an ownership prospect for when we sell our cars.

Nobody is ridiculed for a typo, like yesterday when someone wrote "scholl" instead of "school" as it was clear that it was a slip of the index and I'm confident that no-one would mention how you have spelt ridiculed either- it's the bum basic stuff people want fixed.

As I asked earlier, who is getting driven off by a request to raise the standards? Would you rather keep them but lose the more intelligent members who are sick of the thick and the lazy? Given the choice who would you rather stick around?

Imo it is in the best interests of the club, and if the moderators and the owner of the club join in then it's all the better- do you want this place to be regarded like a Scooby/Civic OC or an NSX OC? You may also want to think how this reflects on us as a club and as an ownership prospect for when we sell our cars.

You mentioned it!

If you bothered to read my post properly you would see I'm not questioning that standards should be kept, I agree that they should, I just don't like the excecution of it on theses forums. The childish glee that people display when they pick apart other peoples posts, oh so witty, oh so humourous, yes of course all for the greater good...

Edited by PJ (see edit history)

Good post

You mentioned it!

If you bothered to read my post properly you would see I'm not questioning that standards should be kept, I agree that they should, I just don't like the excecution of it on theses forums. The childish glee that people display when they pick apart other peoples posts, oh so witty, oh so humourous, yes of course all for the greater good...

I happen to agree whole heartedly with this and the original post, a very accurate observation IMO.

Edit, since this is primarily a car forum, after observing another post about a mechanical problem, i think its about time that bad mechanical practice was taken to task as diligently as is spelling and punctuation!

After all we wouldn't want to have double standards would we:rolleyes:

Edit no2, just to keep the anal's happy;)

Please be sure to be equally observant in your technical posts won't you;)

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

It was mentioned to show that it wouldn't be picked up on.

The execution is fine, peer preasure and self moderation works better than any other way. If people do not like being picked up then they should raise the game.

Self moderation does indeed work well, I just think that it gets taken too far on here more often than not and it's now become the acceptable norm to do so.

I've a few teacher friends, and they all work to targets now instead of concentrating on educating kids in the basics of English, maths etc.

I don't know anyone within the education system that does not correct spelling, punctuation and grammar - even if it is only a nominal attempt. I don't think that the targets are necessarily an issue when it comes to acquiring English skills (which are themselves a key target for schools).

I see the decline in English skills as being the result of three main factors:

1) Word processing. If you watch 15-18 year olds doing a piece of written work using Word, often when they come to a word they don't know how to spell, they will highlight and right-click. This means that they only have to recognise the correct word shape and never need to recall it. Word in its default setting also automatically corrects a bunch of errors. This dependence on technology robs us of basic skills.

2) Texting and emailing. Writing a letter is a time-consuming process - so much so that unless you have something important to say, it's not worth doing. This in turn means that it tends to be mulled over, drafted, corrected and so on. Texting and emailing, by contrast, are very quick, which means that people spend a huge amount of time sending messages that are completely trivial. As they are so disposable and instantaneous, many will dispense with the formal rules of English and will not bother to check for errors. Texting in particular lends itself to a really debased English that has no sublety and a very limited vocabulary.

The problem is that if texting is your primary form of communication,all day every day, you can't easily switch back into formal English. procedures

3) A decline in reading. I suspect that leisure reading has declined drastically in the young over the last thirty years. That probably has a huge impact on vocabulary, use of idiom, and use of sophisticated or unusual sentence structure. Without reading outside of school, teachers are swimming upstream.

4) A shift in cultural values. I think popular culture today more than ever teaches us to be mistrustful of intellectualism and education. Look at our cultural icons - they are, on the whole, reminders that you don't need brains or education to do very well for yourself. Look at documentaries and try and find one without super-slick, superfast editing - they are a rarity. All of our popular culture experience tells us that expressing ideas in a formal way is outdated and irrelevant.