The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldn't loose the throttle response with a supercharger, if you kept the same compression and run low boost then it would still be as responsive, but sound Awesome !!

They do blunt throttle response a bit, but how much so depends on the type of supercharger.

You loose a bit of the induction noise too.

Im sure a set of gen2 6266 or 6466 would look and feel mean with the v8 thunder.

Look forward to your next steps, seeing this in person and the videos :)

Interia looks out of this world. The colours really go well togther.

I think a twin turbo setup would be awesome, but if I did anything I'd supercharge it, to be a bit different.

A Whipple supercharger on this would be incredible. The noise would wake the dead!

Swift Racing do a 2UZ kit for the Whipple 2.3l. Running 7psi or so through that would make a very, very lively and fast car.

I saw a kit in NZ too which looked good but a lot of dosh. I suppose any forced induction on this motor would be pricey though.

You wouldn't loose the throttle response with a supercharger, if you kept the same compression and run low boost then it would still be as responsive, but sound Awesome !!

To be honest I don't know much about supercharging, but I always thought you would lose a bit of response what with the extra load on the motor.

They do blunt throttle response a bit, but how much so depends on the type of supercharger.

You loose a bit of the induction noise too.

I love the induction noise :D

On another note, went out yesterday and put a couple hundred miles on the car. Didn't miss a beat.

However, no pics or vids as I lost my blooming GoPro. Suction mount must have failed. Totally gutted. I yanked on the damn thing good and proper to be sure it was on solidly too. :(

On another note, went out yesterday and put a couple hundred miles on the car. Didn't miss a beat.

However, no pics or vids as I lost my blooming GoPro. Suction mount must have failed. Totally gutted. I yanked on the damn thing good and proper to be sure it was on solidly too. :(

Ouch :( there not cheap too.

Absolutely love this car. I've always wanted a V8, to have one in a Supra must be just epic! Stunning interior too, real thought gone into all that. Well done :thumbs:

PS, supercharger would be the absolute be all and end all IMO :)

Thanks, just needs a change of wheels now. Any forced induction will come much later on, I just want to enjoy it for the summer.

How have I missed this build, looks amazing Ed. Looks like I've got myself a nice read tonight going through this properly!

Hope you enjoy the read.

Buy a tether with it!

Yes, lesson learned.

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see its going well Ed, i love how different this is, love the colour, the interior and the v8 finishes it off, different to any other supra i've been in and the torque is awesome.

If it was me i'd probably shove a set of throttle bodies on it, as the engine was built to be n/a it saves hassle with boosting it and it will sound like a nascar, a supercharger is very tempting but you just can't beat the noise of tb's.

Also how is the wheel hop?

James, (Lee's minion) :)

Edited by Wheelynutz (see edit history)

Hi James, I recall chatting about throttle bodies with you and Lee when I collected it. I must say I love the setup currently, with the instant throttle response. TB's would be awesome but for now I'm just gonna enjoy using it. As for the wheel hop, I'm not really noticing it that much. I may replace the shocks though anyway as the ride feels a little harsh compared to my other car. Not certain what to do yet. By the way, was it you who asked about my clutch that I have to sell?

Went out earlier today for a blast and took a few shots. I'd love to get the paint sorted now, as there are lots of swirl marks in it. New wheels would be nice too.....

Great to see it's being used as intended :cool: One of very few Supras that I think suits pre facelift headlights over facelifts. It would benefit from some high end rims, I reckon some

OZ Superleggera III's or BBS RX would be perfect.

Also how is the wheel hop?

To update my reply James, I went out for a spirited drive on some B roads yesterday evening and noticed what must be this phenomenon. I've not experienced it before so thought it was the suspension over the bumpy roads, but after reading up on what wheel hop exactly is, I reckon thats what it was. Sounded and felt quite violent, so I'm looking to sort this asap. From what I've read, the suspension bushings are usually the culprit. However, I have all new arms and bushings on the rear, so I doubt its that. I think Lee mentioned something about the shocks but can't recall exactly what I should try first. Any ideas anyone?

Very nice project! It might possibly be the differential bushes that cause the wheel hop? Toyota doesn't sell the separate bushes for the ears but you can get a supplemental washer kit from Superpro for them. I'm sure the two rear ones are available from Toyota, I don't think TRD makes them anymore. Found this a while ago and might explain what is happening:

Hmm, interesting. One of the two rear diff bushes is brand new, and I expect SRD checked the other one when they did it. As for the ones in the above video, well I don't know, but they'll be as old as the car I expect. I don't think that I put new ones in when I put the bigger diff in. Maybe I should do a similar video to see whats happening back there. Thanks for your post P_Bazz.