The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pinch it together either side of the hole and clean the edges with brake cleaner, then put a dod of super glue on it and let go.

That should be okay for a while, you can't get them from Mr T, it's aftermarket from local motor factor or second hand OE, I think I have one in my toolbox, I'll take a look at the weekend.

Cracking build this is. Always love the updates

Thanks Rob. Thats good praise coming from a guy with attention to detail like you.

I have found that boot if you are still in need?

I tried your glue trick David, seemed to block up the small puncture. However, I'd be grateful of a spare boot please. Pm me if ya like. Thanks.

I do love this project, what a long journey its been on and to still be around and going well to! id love to see this or even have it parked next to mine one day for some shots :cool:

A long journey indeed, but thanks to lots of help from SRD and others the car made it though. I hope to get out and about in it this year and come to some of the meets. I still want to change the wheels as thats the only big thing looks wise that I've not done.

• 4 weeks later...
Yep, thats what I'm running. Working really well, but the clutch is noisy at

Thanks for the confirmation Ed, dont suppose you have a list of the stock clutch part numbers you had to get.

I am trying to contact TTV at the moment with little success, the number I have is not working and no response on email, looking on their site I dont see a 1UZ flywheel that is listed as working with the V160 and stock TT clutch setup but I know both you and Ryan had them made.

http://ttvracing.com/products/?manufacturers=toyota&engine=toyota-1uz-fe&type=flywheels

Yep, thats what I'm running. Working really well, but the clutch is noisy at

It won't be the clutch that's noisy, it's the gearbox. The stock Getrag set up used a dual mass flywheel to dampen harmonics before they entered the gearbox. With a solid flywheel the gears rattle. Ideally you want a stock type clutch plate but with damper springs in it, and I would imagine it would have to be a custom one, assuming there's enough clearance inside the pressure plate and flywheel to accommodate them. That should dampen the harmonics in a similar way to the dual mass flywheel.

• 11 months later...

Thought it time for a small update.

Year 2 since Lee and his team got me on road. Covered about 4500 miles this yr (about the same last yr too), using it pretty much as my daily car. Still loving it :D

Finally swapped out my very old Eagle F1's for some new rubber two weeks ago (rear end was slipping all over the place when accelerating hard). Went for Michelin SP4's. Change is like night and day, I can now put some power down in first gear. They seem very good tyres, but obviously not tested them in really dry conditions. Confidence is up in the wet though, which is making driving a bit more fun and less brown trouser like.

I had an overheating issue a while back, which was identified as a faulty thermostat. Quick call to Mr Manley, and this was sorted. No further issues.

I've learned to live with the clutch noise at low revs, however, I noticed a few days ago that the clutch is starting to slip a bit, intermittently. As stated earlier its only done about 9000 miles so I'm thinking it might be something other than wear and tear....? Any ideas peeps?

Only other minor gremlin is that the car could do with some solution for idle control. As long as I warm the car up a bit before I set off in these cold conditions its fine, but it can be annoying if I'm running late. Lee tried a few things, but the Link ecu is holding him back from doing what he wants. I'm toying with a Syvecs instal, but as you all know thats a big investment. Some overtime at work perhaps.....

Oh, there is one more small thing. I'm getting a noise (bit more than a rattle), inside the boot area and can't seem to identify where from. I recall something about boot rubbers, but mine appears to shut with no play at all, so wondered if there are any other known areas for noises here.

As for new mods, and apart from an ecu, I'd like to fit a new diff. What are peoples thoughts on aftermarket LSD's? Also, the engine runs out of puff after 5000revs, and although I have plenty of fun torque and usable power, I'd like to improve the intake side as I reckon thats letting the engine down. Still deciding whether or not to explore this, but I have a few ideas......

• 2 weeks later...