The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

I bet you must be made up, just out of interest are you driving this on the Link Base map I dropped on the ECU for you or have you had it mapped?

If you want me to come and sort out those electrical gremlins just give me a shout.

regards,

Lyndon.

Update.

I drove the car back from the garage on sat. I must say that I'm very impressed with how the engine pulls, in any gear. Lots of torque and she is really responsive. Clutch is totally sorted and operating like a standard car. Box is great, as you would expect being brand new. A slight 'touring car' whine from the drivetrain, which I quite like.

However, still a few things to sort.

Speedo is not working.

Oil level sensor still to fit.

Power steering is working but making a lot of noise, as if you're dragging a heavy table across a wooden floor is how I would describe it.

Air vents pumping out very hot air, no dash controls working.

Some interior trimming issues to fix.

Still, all in all, very pleased mainly with the engine and clutch.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed guys, I'm back feeling positive. Just not sure on that power steering issue. Maybe bleed again? Maybe the pump? Maybe the rack?

Yes Lyndon, I'm on the base map. And yes, I'd like you to come back and sort some lecky issues. Also, I've changed my mind about those lambda controls boxes, so was wondering if we can delete them? Let me know some days when ya free, no rush though.

E-Mail Sent (hopefully your address hasn't changed ;) )

Lyndon.

Indeed guys, I'm back feeling positive. Just not sure on that power steering issue. Maybe bleed again? Maybe the pump? Maybe the rack?

Yes Lyndon, I'm on the base map. And yes, I'd like you to come back and sort some lecky issues. Also, I've changed my mind about those lambda controls boxes, so was wondering if we can delete them? Let me know some days when ya free, no rush though.

Glad it's up and running, although Touring Car 'esque transmission whining sounds potentially like g/box input shaft to crank centreline misalignment, not wanting to worry you unduly!

Oh my god, don't do that. I suppose it could be the adapter bracket.....

- - - Updated - - -

E-Mail Sent (hopefully your address hasn't changed ;) )

Lyndon.

Got it, thanks.

Glad it's up and running, although Touring Car 'esque transmission whining sounds potentially like g/box input shaft to crank centreline misalignment, not wanting to worry you unduly!

If this is the case Ryan G had a proper sorted V8 to V160-1 adaptor made as the one he bought was crap and had that exact same problem (and cost him a gearbox). Have a word and see if he still has the DXF files to hand.

Lyndon.

• 4 months later...
Guest TheCaptain69

hi mate i was just reading through this, i've done the swap on mine but with a w58 box. Was wondering how your shifter lines up with the factory trims/or what you did to get it to line up?

Mike

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Ok, so after a long think about what to do with this, and being certain that this year was going to be make or break for the project, I decided to email Lee at SRD. That was back in January. Lee told me he would happily have a look at it for me, and the car finally got down to him in Sept (he's a very busy man, and I now know why). I asked for the car to be given a full once over, get all the little (and big!) issues fixed, and basically just get it to a stage where I can enjoy it.

So, in short, Lee and his team have totally sorted everything. Long standing problems and newer little snags are now history. From the engine to the interior, all is good. Much better than good in fact. Unbeknown to me, the car went for a rolling road session earlier today. Lee texted me with a photo of the car on the rollers with the caption "what were you expecting?". I replied saying if it doesn't break I'll be happy. I then received the dyno graph, and have had a smile on my face all day. I know the following numbers won't be forum breaking, and in Supra terms are hardly much better than stock TT, but for me today was a huge day. For an old tech, normally aspirated toyota V8 engine, I think the result is pretty good (see pics). More than this though is the fact that I will be able to drive her soon when I was thinking the worst, and entertaining the thought of having to break the car. I'm so happy thats not the case.

It just remains for me to massively thank Lee and his team for helping to revive this project and inject new life into it. Its been said lots of times before, but these guys really are worth their salt. :thumbs: :D

Rolling road.jpg

Dyno result.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ed, glad to see that this project lives to see completion. I really hope you will get to enjoy it finally. A few questions.

Were there any major issue with the TTC motor? Or are you using the same motor.

Did you end up using the same adapter for the V160 or was that replaced.

Kind Regards,

Nick from Toronto.

• 4 weeks later...

Nick - car is currently being "shaken down" as they say to see if all is ok with the build. Time will tell on this. Lee and his team managed to get the box to mate up properly with the adapter plate and there are no more whining noises. So yes, same adapter plate.

Will be able to drive this a bit more regularly soon, as I now have my front plate mounting bracket. However, I'm slightly nervous regarding the drilling of new holes to secure the bracket to the front of the car (the oem holes were smoothed over when the car was re-sprayed). Is there any advice for doing this, or should I just stop being a wuss and get on with it? Also, what kind of fixings should I use?