The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I must say the car looks great now. The rain clouds parted for us as we collected it earlier so I got to see how she looks in the sunshine. Lots of curb appeal, although the wheels defo need changing now. It smells lovely inside too, a very comfy place to be indeed. Very happy chappy, nice one Vince :thumbs:

Couldn't resist washing it when I got back as there was mud over the front from the journey. I'll take some hi res pics and post up when there's another break in the weather, and I can get it all shiny. Prob a couple of days.

Just spoke to Roger who's gonna get it working as well as it looks. Should be with him (fingers crossed), early to mid Feb. More updates as and when.

Looking good mate, you must be itching to start driving it :)

Too right, when I started it up I'd forgotten how fierce the motor sounds. Be good to see what kind of power I get out of it.

wow thats looking nice!

Thanks mate, its been a long haul to get it this far.

And so the slippery slope gets steeper !!- Its like trying to eat just 1 peanut -lol

Ha ha, true. I would definately need to research any forced induction FULLY before bowling in like I did with this in the first place.

the interior look amazing.. along with the rest of the car.... will keep an eye on this one

Thank you, hopefully more updates in Feb once its with Roger.

Had to take some pics for the insurer, so thought I'd post this up with peoples thoughts on wheels. Maybe some of you photoshop wizards can work your magic too....

I need some ideas, as I've been going round in circles over this. I'm after something simple, quality, but different to match the rest of the car. In a light colour as dark ones will look wrong against the paint I think. If you have any wheel website links that I've not seen, that would be very helpful too.

Thanks in advance for any replies and/or amended images. :)

Side view.jpg

• 2 months later...

Please don't bite my head off if this has been covered. I'm a littler confused on the transmission part. Ed are you going with the W58 or V160? If you are doing a 2UZ -> V160. Could you please detail your final setup?

We are reluctant to go with a button up flexplate and quartermaster triple plate. We wanted to stay as OEM as possible (i.e., custom flywheel with TT oem clutch, fork etc..) is this possible? Or how close to that can

we get.

Cheers,

Nick from Toronto

This part of my build has been the source of much frustration. In short I'm still trying to sort a solution that works.

However, if you want to keep it as oem as possible, then check out RyanG's project thread on here. He has a custom flywheel that suits a supra clutch and all the oem clutch actuation stuff is retained. He reports good results.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I should have some news on mine soon. Good luck and let me know how you get on please.

Guest Jake Breyck

Hey Guys, I was linked to this thread. as i see Ive been mentioned two pages back. I figured ill join up and offer my support. I don't know the rules on this forum about advertising so i wont really go there. but If there is anything i can do to help get the engine and transmission working together let me know.

• 1 month later...

Sorry there have been no updates here for ages. Been waiting for Roger to move premises, but had no real contact with him lately. I think he may have had some further problems.

Anyway, as a result, I've decided to steal Ryan's idea and go back to standard clutch actuation using all the supra stuff. The hydraulic bearing will be ditched, along with the nasty clutch I currently have, in favour of supra specific items. Ryan put me in touch with TTV racing who will be making a proper flywheel, something the car has needed all along. It'll take 4-6 wks to fabricate though as they are backed up due to a machine fault. That will give me time to put the car back to standard in terms of the clutch.

With any luck, God knows I could do with some, I'll have this driving properly this summer.

• 1 month later...

Received my flywheel a few days ago, almost 3 weeks early! Big thanks to TTV. Not had a chance to look at it yet, but its exactly the same as Ryan's which you've all seen on his thread.

What I need now is a little help deciding on the right clutch. I'm thinking a standard TT item will be fine. Any other thoughts appreciated.

Here's the bumf on them, they use, and come with a new stock pull type bearing, and use the stock release fork et cetera. So if this set up of yours works with a stock MKIV TT clutch, it will work with mine, Cheers Ed.

I use the stock, brand new driven plate, as it is correctly

balanced, doesn't judder and will hold all but mega torque

highly modded engines or cars used for drag racing.

I modify a stock brand new cover to give more clamping force.

The reason I tooled up to do these is some of the aftermarket

US clutches I have fitted SEEM to be built from used cover

assemblies with reground friction surfaces, and a stronger

spring. I have had hellish trouble getting these to fully

release, because due to this seemingly thinner cast iron

friction face, the geometry of the clutch goes to pot, and

being a pull type clutch (the hydraulics pull the bearing

away from the engine, rather than the more normal push type)

it is a lot harder to effect a cure.

For 455 pounds plus VAT , you get a brand new driven

plate, a brand new modded cover, and a brand new release

bearing. I would rather fit myself so any complaints are down

to me, I see a lot of clutches damaged by people without the right gear

(a ramp and transmission jack, plus correct circlip tools and fitment)

or clutches fitted to patently *uggered flywheels. I will do a supply

only if you feel competent to tackle the job or are using a bona fide garage to

fit the clutch

Toyota use a dual mass flywheel (the flywheel is in 2 parts, an inner and

outer assembly, damped in the middle) which is now showing signs

of wear causing a lot of rattle when idling or on very light

throttle openings. For God knows what reason they are charging

about £270 + VAT for a new one, they look more like they should be

over 500 to me, but don't say anything :-) The very similar LUK dual

mass flywheel on Maseratis is nearly £1000 + VAT.... So if the flywheels

old enough or abused enough to be scored it should be replaced.

Fitting by myself will cost £175 + VAT.

• 1 month later...

Right, got most of the bits I need for the clutch job, but found out today that I'm missing the clutch release hub. Thats on order but won't arrive till tuesday. In the meantime I've got the exhaust and prop off, and I'm now starting to take all the connections off the gearbox ready for seperation from the engine.

Question - as the wires for the back up switch have been spliced without a connector to the auto loom, can I just remove the switch from the gearbox? Are there any issues with this? Doesn't appear to be any oil seal there from the repair manual, but don't know if there is anything else of concern. I suppose I could just cut the wires and put a connector in for future, but just wanted to crack on with getting the box split and off the car.

By the way, if anyones interested I can post up some pics of the exhaust as I wasn't able to before it was first put on.

Also, if you're reading this Ryan, I looked at my adapter plates and noticed there's a slight gap between the two at the bottom. I was thinking this probably isn't good and wondered if you had specs for the one you had made? While the box is off might as well sort it with one that I know will work.