The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra V8 2uz project

EdMorris

Going back to the brakes, I'm currently fitting the new fronts. I wondered if I can use the brake line union gaskets (copper washer) from my recently fitted Goodridge lines, as in the pic? Toyota states that these are non-reusable parts, probably for good reason. Would any similar washer do as a replacement, or is it a specific part?

http://s1341.photobucket.com/albums/o750/edmorris2/FullSizeRender_zpsw7ebaofs.jpg

edit - sorry for image not being embedded

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can re-use them, but if you're paranoid look up soft annealing copper and re-anneal them. I wouldn't bother so long as they don't leak when you get someone to hold the brake pedal down hard with the engine running to ensure vacuum in the servo. Motorcycle shops sell them new far cheaper than car dealers....

Right, some more help needed please.

Having not had UK brakes before, and the pics in the workshop manual not being completely clear to me, I need to find out if I've put the pads together properly in the caliper (see below). I did what most made sense to me, and assumed the small arrow on the shim is supposed to point forwards to the front of the car (direction of forward travel for the wheels). The pad spacer bit confused me a little so again I did what most made sense from the manual. Do I have it assembled correctly? Oh and this is the left side (passenger) caliper.

Points towards front of car?

Are the pad spacers located correctly?

The arrows in this pic show again the locations where I've installed the small pad spacers, at the 'bottom' of the pad. Correct?

Does the rest of it look right? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Got the all clear from Supra guru (thanks Lee :thumbs:), so I can do the other side now.

Also, checked clearance yesterday and its as close as can be without touching (see below). I'll need some spacers or new wheels before I drive it. Was hoping I would get away with it :rolleyes:. Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on using H&R spacers until I can decide what to do wheels wise? What thickness spacer would I need? How difficult is it to remove the old wheel studs in order to use longer ones with the spacers? At least one is bound to be troublesome or seized.

Ta

Any compression should see the spoke deflect away from the caliper so I would be surprised if it wasn't OK. Years ago I had a set of wheels that the tape you're using wouldn't fit under and they were fine :)

I'll see what its like once I've torqued the wheels on. I'm fairly paranoid about these things though, and defo don't want any issues with the new calipers, so if I'm in any doubt I'll fix it somehow.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Ed, nice to see your project coming along. I talked to you a few times regarding our project. I am having difficulty sourcing a flywheel and clutch to mate

out 2UZ to V160. Can you PLEASE help us with this. The customer's car has been waiting for this for quite a while, and it's one of the last things on the list.

Please please please share some contacts for the flywheel and clutch. Also, are you still using the TTC adapter? And what other bits and pieces do you think

we will need.

Nick from Toronto.

• 2 months later...

Not updated this thread for a while.

Car has been running quite well, save for a small oil leak, and also some wheel hop issues. Just got it back from Lee and its driving much better since the rear shocks were changed for stock items. Having said that, its still a bit hoppy now and then and I'd like to get the ride even better if I can. I wheel spun without any effort today in 2nd (ok so I know its a bit wet, but I was in a tunnel!), and so I'm wanting to try a different rear wheel setup. Question, can one buy a 17inch wheel in a wide fitment without going silly money like ccw etc? I'd like to try this on the back with a higher sidewalled tyre, but can't seem to find any suppliers other than bespoke places. Any ideas?

Why not borrow some UK rear stock rims and put decent part worn tyres on them, and see how much better it is, then you will be happier spending money on some fancy ones. If you go much wider than stock don't expect good wet weather grip, a narrower tyre is often FAR superior when it's raining. F1 and other high end series get away with a similarly ultra wide wet set up to their dry ones by using ULTRA soft rubber. You don't have that option. If I had another MKIV and was using it through the winter in this country i would have 16 inch rims on it, if they cleared the brakes.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to fitting some new suspension bits today. Got theses HKS parts from Lee a while back, but needed the car for daily duties lately. Anyhow, started at the back and mostly went ok until I split one of the suspension rubber boots trying to tease out the old shock (see bottom pic) :rolleyes:. Thought I'd got away with it, but when I squeezed the boot gently, some grease started to ooze out - bugger! Its the rearmost one at the bottom, just down from where the shock attaches. Anyone know how easy this is to sort? Will I need to get a whole new arm to get this joint? Really pee'd off that I did this.

On the plus side, the units look and feel great quality. Came really well packaged too.