Ultimate Pro street Drag supra!

StuartW

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Few of your runs in this video i just spotted stuart:)

Nice one cheers ;)

So much has progressed so quickly in the past week it will take me a while to catch up with this Project forum.

In brief..Dyno with Ryan SRR Last Weds eve, Achieved 640hp @1.1Bar, This was at the limits of the Auto box, As the boost increased the HP dropped, Basically the transmission is designed to slip and the 640hp was the limit of load for this.

Ryan put on his crash lid and we set about road testing to 1.5bar:innocent:

The car suddenly felt alive really pulling on every nut and bolt. Very pleased with the Tune :)

Then i travelled up to Hauser where they spent the day corner balancing and adjusting all the 4 link rear end. All camber,Castor and toe adjustments where made (Apart from 1 seized NSF rear Suspension arm was seized!) Something to sort for next time.

Then i had an amazing weekend @ PTM show Santa pod with a 1.55 60ft on road tyres:cool:

I ran the 9.89 4th run on the Friday, I managed 17 runs up the strip. 4 runs was the max without a little break as the Brakes got too hot:blink:

Parachute testing was interesting....Basically when you deploy you are thrown into your harness and just have to steer! Its not a nice feeling i can tell you.

So I was entering into street class but I got put into Fac Mod class as i have a tubbed rear end!

The opposition had crinkle wall and Slicks :rolleyes:

My slick set up will be fitted to the car for the next round of the HKS @ Japshow 3rd/4th July.

Just been on the phone to Ryan for a good 30 mins setting up the launch control for this weekends fun @ Pro street drag series Shakey :D Top man Ryan Much respecto :respekt:

I found in low (1st) gear i struggled for traction with the wheels spinning half way up the strip on 1.5 bar of boost! So this weekend will prove good testing to carry on with the set up. I will progressively and gradually adjust the Pinion angle, Tyre pressures, Launch RPM amongst a few other things to get to the new 8 sec goal:Pling: (Thats a 8.99 or lower)

Just come back from a road test and now the speedo works i am scared :run:

just shows you, its all about the setup and not about boost ..well done stu.

Thank you Michel...Good to hear from you...Its running the old T74 you sold me at the beginning of the project nearly 18 months ago :D

The car has now done 49 Runs on the strip with no Faults not to mention a fair few dyno's and pizza runs :cool:

Ran 10.3 this weekend @ Shakespeare Raceway did mid to low 10's all day. Need more grip.

Would have ran all day but ran out of fuel:Pling:

The Hoosier Drag slicks and new wheel set up will be with me next week..Cant wait :)

a few vids

Edited by StuartW (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Been having issues with engine bogging when shifting since i fitted the slicks on friday.

Turns out my Torque convertor has failed! The "Spraggs" have deformed causing the stall to drop greatly!

Continued running of the car will only make it worse :(

Total trans strip down tonight....New spool diff and axle rebuild too :(:(

Many Thanks to Ryan G and Andy frost for diagnosing the problem.

I always said this year would only be a tester..better to find out the faults than have them fail catastprophically :play:

glad you found your problem... bogging was the understatement of the century... did you get ryan to look at fuelling on transbrake.?? very rich..(black smoking).

i reckon your car has got a lot more punch in it yet..

that 10.0 looked good... but you'll have to be quicker than that for HKS series!! lol

• 3 weeks later...

OK well Neil chance is specking the new Torque converter and it seems that the Tc's are absolutely VITAL in the grand set up of everything in Drag racing :blink:

The dilemma i have is currently the stock block with the GSC cams cannot rev beyond 7250 safely, Therefore is not making the most of its capable power.

Option 1 Borrow 265 cams from my White supra, re-map and have a bolt together converter with different internals for the later extra rpm (Costly in the long run)

option 2 Go for the fully built option but need full specs which i do not have until engine is dynoed:blink:

option 3 just fit built head and risk bottom end failure from over-revving:blink:

option 4 run with current set up specked to the race engine and see what it does:blink:

Money and time no object I would have to say option 4. As has been said many times we are pussies with our engines in the UK. The US guys have been running far more power than us, and putting in far better times, for years. Now granted, their dynos mostly overread & their drag strips are down hill... that only takes account of so much of a difference though.

I would really like someone to push a healthy 2JZ to destruction to see just how far it will go. Jamie P chucked just about everything he could at his and it was still pulling strong. 700 was impossible not so long ago, 800 is now "impossible". The rev limit is another big talking point. I wouldn't suggest 9k or anything crazy, I don't see any problems with 7.5k though :D

Easy to say that from this side of the fence of course, as I said.. money/time no object I would just want to show what these cars can really do when pushed to the actual limit..... rather than the theoretical one.

Im a bit lost, does it drive now with the current toque convertor? do you need to give them the spec of the new engine to build a new TC?

YES, my old ATI TC has been flown to states to be copied in spacings etc and replaced with a bolt together $2000+ one:Pling:

The thing is i have 2 goals

1 to push the stock block

2 to run next year with the built engine

Basically i am being told i would need 2 convertors to cover this. :search:

Got ya, well you have been doing well with that TC and if the new one is the same i say push the stock engine hard, they can take it, this graph was turbofits drag car on a stock engine with a T88 and a 50 shot, very impressive graph, i was stood there and the dyno operator sh1t himself when it came on boost.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/dyno1.jpg

Got ya, well you have been doing well with that TC and if the new one is the same i say push the stock engine hard, they can take it, this graph was turbofits drag car on a stock engine with a T88 and a 50 shot, very impressive graph, i was stood there and the dyno operator sh1t himself when it came on boost.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/dyno1.jpg

WOW thats some dyno!

My current TC has a 3800rpm stall, When i entered Street eliminator i had to improve my reactions, The car took 7.5 seconds from idle to build 5500rpm to launch! All this time creates excess heat in the TC which added to the failures.

I had to then enter pre stage @ 3500rpm holding the car on the footbrake until stage was met then Trans brake lock and launch! all a bit messy and allows lots of human errors!

Also my technique was all wrong, I was doing the burnout in low gear (Now i shift into high) also i was rolling out of the burnout and hooking up (Only advisable with 1500+V8hp) Because of my lack of torque and low stall the pre stall range was having to work very hard.

Basically big V8 1000+ power will allow the TC to go straight through stall into a lock up situation, Thus greatly reducing the loading (Slippage) to the TC.

So with a higher stall and more driving lessons i might well be OK with this one.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Edited by StuartW (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Neil Chance has made me a custom bolt together Torque convertor :D Copied from my old set up. Not an off the shelf item as Toyota did not make a 2JZ with a GM powerglide 2 speed race tranny fitted :innocent:

It has 2 sets of internals, One for the current stock block set up and one for the Race/built engine :D:d

Their Convertors have a Ball bearing "Spragg" whereas My previous Convertor used a Plain Bronze bush.

I have learned that the Spragged convertor is the most efficient so going spragless is only for the big V8 Torque monsters.

Will update with Pics as soon as it arrives.