The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stubby Aerial - Group Buy INTEREST Thread!

Pabs

Me and Burna trial fitted the kit to his car Friday afternoon, and everything went well. Fits well and the reception is good. I'm sure Burna will post more details, and some of the photos we took early next week.:D

Let's say that I wasn't arsed about getting any actual reception and just wanted the aerial there for aesthetics, would the s2000 aerial fit on no problems, or is there another bit needed to make it fit right?

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me and Burna trial fitted the kit to his car Friday afternoon, and everything went well. Fits well and the reception is good. I'm sure Burna will post more details, and some of the photos we took early next week.:D

That's great can't wait, fingers crossed all could be a go soon :)

As Trick said the test fit went well :) Thanks to Trick we came across a couple of ways to modify it so it will be easier for members to fit.

The reception was the big surprise for me, having heard bad reports about the reception from the USA aerial from the previous group buy many moons ago I wasn't expecting much, but I was very impressed. Even though this stubby aerial comes with an amplified base we didn't need to wire it up! I'm still going to include the amplified base with the aerial because if anyone does have reception problems they will have the option of wiring it up, but be aware that the amplifier will have to wired to the back of your head unit, so you will have to sort the wiring out to enable you to do that.

I have a video of the reception and also pics of the fit which I will upload later. I will have to go through the cost of the parts again as it was a while ago when I last did that, then I will post a price and see if you like what you see :)

Finally found my USB cable, house is upside down at the moment :rolleyes: Realised that when I took the pics I had the phone camera setting set to the lowest quality, I know Trick took some but I'm waiting for the links from him.

Video of reception without the amplified base plugged in.

As I said before if you do find reception is bad then you will have to wire a power source from the rear of the headunit, you cannot use the power supply that raises the aerial as it turns off after the aerial is raised, you can here the relay click over when you are in the drivers seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, due to sorting out sh*t (still sorting :() in my personal life this had been put to the back of my mind, sorry. I'll give you a run down of where it stands now so you have all the facts.

Costing. There has been a development on another stubby option which I think was bought in the very first group buy (maybe you can fill in the gaps here AndyT). Basically while I was going through the costs for my stubby aerial I had a PM from AndyT saying he had got an email from Locustom saying they had improved there design, below is what was in the email:

'Andy, it has been a while since we last talked. I have finally made a drop in antenna kit for the Supra, at the moment it is a very limited run of the antennas. These have a proper fit and angle, like the factory antenna, with no outward angle. I attached a picture of the kit. Tell me if there may be any interest, they are not on the web site as I do not know what the demand will be. Price is $32.00 and shipping to the UK is $10 for one to ten antennas.'

Now, I was already struggling to get my stubby price low, it will come in around £50, so as you can see the Locustom one is way cheaper than mine. I don't think the Locustom one is amplified like mine and obviously I don't know how well it fits either, but you all have the info now so you can decide what you want to do.

I am more than happy to supply my stubby kit, but as I said it will be around £50, or someone can organise a group buy with Locustom and give there kit a go.

Let me know what you all think.