The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The next stage in the saga!

Matt H

Phew, well that lot took some reading :rolleyes:

It's a forum so I feel obliged to have my say now.....

It's a great car that's a little sick at the moment so get it back to mufflemans hospital and be patient until he gives it the all clear including a long test drive.

Then enjoy it in all it's glory and let us all :drool: over it again.

As for your ban... :taped:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do make you sign one on motorsport days / events ?

It's a load of tosh, they do it in martial arts seminars all the time, means nothing, they just hope that by having the participant sign it, it makes them think the person running it can't be held responsible....not correct I'm afriad, so you need to be careful.;)

Well maybe controversial but if a customer of mine took one of the cars I was fixing in a condition I said to him was not right or safe then I would take that as a personal insult. I would see it as he didn't accept my word that the vehicle was not safe and as such didn't trust my word. Without that trust I would feel incapable of accepting said vehicle back. I would simply refuse to further maintain his vehicle and tell him to take it elsewhere.

I can understand the desire to utilise a vehicle that is costing a huge fortune to go to a big meeting you've longed to go to forever but you are simply shooting yourself in both feet doing so. Not only have you managed to nadge your car in less than ideal circumstances requiring trailoring back to garage which itself is a ball ache, you've managed to utterly destroy any credibility you may have had.

Its a saga alright, and a very expensive one too, in more ways than one!

Muffleman is doing totally the right thing IMO. He can't do anymore than he has, and I for one have no doubt in his ability. :)

Matt H has discovered that a few things still need to be fixed and I'm sure will be getting them done as soon as. Maybe even during this 24 hour ban!

Hopefully then he'll be back on track.

A very interesting read. :)

You never turn up :( and Mike's little excursion was AFTER the run. :D

Not nice though, scary sh1te that. :blink:

I would do if it was on a bl**dy day that I hadn't already got something booked. I swear they do it on purpose.

I'd just like to reiterate that my overtightened wheel stud sheared at some point crossing the city of Norwich to my local Halfords, and by the time I got back home, in under 10 miles and no more than 30 to 40mph, the wheel had a lot of play and the nuts were loose.

So I'm going by experience here in saying that I don't think cars should be driven without all their wheel nuts/studs on and intact.

I once found, by accident, that my front tyres had gone down to the canvas on the inner edges, while the outside still had plenty of tread. I was mortified that I'd been driving on tyres like that and immediately ordered new ones. I also cancelled my weekend plans as I now had "no car" until the tyres were replaced. The trip to the fitting place was the only journey I subsequently made on them. I'd like to think that is "the real world". Not going "it'll be alright, loads left in that lolzors and if it blows and I veer into the path of a family car and kill them all, well, I've got airbags and insurance lololol" while going off to my meet at McDonalds.

-Ian

I'd just like to reiterate that my overtightened wheel stud sheared at some point crossing the city of Norwich to my local Halfords, and by the time I got back home, in under 10 miles and no more than 30 to 40mph, the wheel had a lot of play and the nuts were loose.

So I'm going by experience here in saying that I don't think cars should be driven without all their wheel nuts/studs on and intact.

Ian i cannot remember the circumstances around your situation but do you think the studs were correctly torqued up?

IMO your situation could have occurred by having 5 good studs but only one fully torqued up nut = masses of force on the stud with the fully torqued nut = failure and then you experience the effects of the remaining lose nuts?

People seem to be getting very jittery about running with less than five nuts holding a wheel on, yet they happily buy incorrect wheels, with incorrect spigot hole diameters and no adaptor rings. Running a wheel such as this, let alone one with incorrect offset as well, puts a HUGE loading on the studs as they also have to take the weight of the car and all vertical suspension shocks. these loads SHOULD be taken by the hub nose, it being a snug fit in the wheel itself.

God i missed all this and cant be arsed to read it all. But for the record you do not need all 5 nuts on a wheel to pass the MOT. to have 1 missing is not a fail. (im not sure if its one missing on the whoel car or one full stop.)

Yes we'd all rather play it safe but if you can get an MOT with it missing then it can be driven. Im one down at the moment again so will need some new spacers i think but passed my MOT this week with no problems.

And above as chris said the studs should hold the wheel there and take a small load.

Ah but lets face it james how many MOT test stations actually check to see how many studs are fitted? I've never been asked for my wheel nut cover key for an MOT ever. Mine has actually run two extremely heavy track sessions with only 4 wheel studs on the front right. In fact I had forgotten that I had one missing for about a year. More to the point in hand though. If you are told x y and z are still wrong with a car and the gear box may well blow up as its not been tested only a foolhardy person would dismiss that and they stand to reap the reward of their impatience.

If you are told x y and z are still wrong with a car and the gear box may well blow up as its not been tested only a foolhardy person would dismiss that and they stand to reap the reward of their impatience.

I think Matt was fine with the state of play as regards the car, he knew the issues and what problems remained, i sense his only issue is being jumped on by many and told how much of a danger he was/is to the public by running only 4 studs/nuts...........

...............i doubt you'll receive the same dressing down as he did for this but that maybe due to the realisation that it is in fact not putting anyone in mortal danger or it may be that you are generally more liked on the forum............

Ah but lets face it james how many MOT test stations actually check to see how many studs are fitted? I've never been asked for my wheel nut cover key for an MOT ever. Mine has actually run two extremely heavy track sessions with only 4 wheel studs on the front right. In fact I had forgotten that I had one missing for about a year. More to the point in hand though. If you are told x y and z are still wrong with a car and the gear box may well blow up as its not been tested only a foolhardy person would dismiss that and they stand to reap the reward of their impatience.

You make a very good point. I kind of got to the point in the thread where the Matt bashing was going on for the car being allowed to leave. AFR matt that is.

I wouldn't of drove it with potential of the gearbox going...mainly coz of the cost :D